Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My approach is that you should treat others as you wish to be treated. If you're quite sure that you'll never ever need help from someone ever, then fine. But I'll help those who I can while I can.

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    I already have it lol, someone download it and saved it. It really is quite amusing. A promise to rep them, and they handed it over.
    Oh you can lie aswell :rofl:.

Shame your no good at it, even on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
    How about say you were in the same position and no nation wanted to help. What kinda feeling would that be son? And say your mother or girlfriend would've survived by a tiny bit of advanced medicine.

So probably cause the voluntary helpers don't want them to feel this way...no?
    Not a reason. It's a reason why I would want help. Not a reason why other nations SHOULD help. You're saying that we should help because other people are dying. In that case, start donating your unused organs, people are dying. Start giving blood people are dying. Become a doctor people are dying.

People are dying is just an excuse, not a reason. It's a poor excuse too.

And the voluntary helpers can help all they like, I haven't a problem with people helping. My problem is with people saying that we SHOULD be helping. Which is false.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to know a lot about what is happening in other countries for someone who supposedly doesn’t care...

You complain that seeing these things on television causes people to feel guilty. Maybe you are just too afraid to let yourself feel something because that would mean that you would have to do something to help.

I can understand your thoughts on each nation doing their own thing and other nations should stop interfering. But for me personally I don't think of the world divided up into separate nations, instead I look at mankind as a whole, so if someone is suffering in another part of the world my heart cries for them.

Am I right in saying that you’re the sort of person that if they saw someone injured on the side of the road you would just walk straight past them? It's none of your business right? So why should you care?

ReputationRep:
    It's tragic, but I'm not going to be guilt tripped into donating.

ReputationRep:
    I think richer countries should give aid more often, not just when there are disasters. Rich countries should, I believe, invest large amounts of money in poor contries to try and create sustainable projects that will help everyone in the long run, making everyone happier.

People in the UK these days are no happier than they were in the 1950s, despite having twice as much buying power; it's not like we need the money.

ReputationRep:
    I hope all these people who are having a go at the OP for not caring and saying we should help fellow humans don't purchase anything which has been produced in developing countries. If you do, it's not even as if you are remaining neutral, you are actually contributing to the pain and suffering of others by buying, for example, plastics from China and textiles from Bangladesh etc.

http://www.chinahush.com/2009/10/21/...tion-in-china/

Many people in China are being slowly poisoned due the chemicals used and the way they are disposed of, so unless you refrain from buying anything without knowing it's ethically sourced, don't pretend you care for humans as a collective species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peakey)
    I think richer countries should give aid more often, not just when there are disasters. Rich countries should, I believe, invest large amounts of money in poor contries to try and create sustainable projects that will help everyone in the long run, making everyone happier.

People in the UK these days are no happier than they were in the 1950s, despite having twice as much buying power; it's not like we need the money.
    QFT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    I hope all these people who are having a go at the OP for not caring and saying we should help fellow humans don't purchase anything which has been produced in developing countries. If you do, it's not even as if you are remaining neutral, you are actually contributing to the pain and suffering of others by buying, for example, plastics from China and textiles from Bangladesh etc.

Many people in China are being slowly poisoned due the chemicals used and the way they are disposed of, so unless you refrain from buying anything without knowing it's ethically sourced, don't pretend you care for humans as a collective species.
    There's a difference between being party to people's suffering through ignorance, and doing so consciously. A huge one.

ReputationRep:
    Peakey and KiiNGofLONDON

You keep saying should. With no reason. Provide a reason for why we SHOULD.

ReputationRep:
    The OP has basically argued that there is nothing inherent within us that makes us care, and it is true that nature allows at most for protection of immediate family. These people the Haitians, are distant to us, their death or survival makes no difference to our own survival so inherently there is no reason why we should care. I don't think this fact is disputable if you look at it in terms of nature.

The counter argument is that our socially engineered compassion should override our natural instincts, and for most people it does as the have been conditioned to believe this way. There is no denying that this exists. What is open to debate is whether it should exist or not.

I personally lean towards the side of the OP, our compassion for other people, helping them to survive is ultimately leading to de-evolution. This affects our species chances of survival as a whole, if you look at it clinically, without the constraints of emotion, it is hard to argue against this point. Our resources that should ensure our personal survival are spent ensuring the survival of others, diminishing our own chances which goes against natural instinct. If one is to say well compassion is what sets us apart from animals, then I challenge that this is a conditioned delusional arrogance of man, for we are far closer to animals than we care to acknowledge. To try and separate ourselves from this is impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    This

But in all seriousness the majority of humans have compassion towards their fellow human being, for most people seeing another person suffer is a BAD thing and we want to do something to ease that suffering.

But i do understand your point about caring for your own country first and i must say it i cant understand how the british govt can afford to donate £20 million odd to haiti when we have the economic problems we have just now and a rather large black hole of debt but we're helping our fellow humans.

As for iraq and afghanistan they are completely different situations to haiti so arent really comparable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    Not true, if you go and read my posts you'll probably see that I'm right.
    AHA! I said will be put forth. That creates a loophole out of which I can make my daring escape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)

This is so true! We are responsible due to our greed for stuff. Exploited workers who make our stuff usually work to make things for rich people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiiNGofLONDON)
    There's a difference between being party to people's suffering through ignorance, and doing so consciously. A huge one.
    Anyone who believes that workers producing products in developing countries are treated well is not ignorant, they're naive. Nobody can pretend they don't know what's going on, they just don't have it pushed in their face 24/7 so they can ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saint_dracula)
    AHA! I said will be put forth. That creates a loophole out of which I can make my daring escape.
    You devious swine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wtid)
    Anyone who believes that workers producing products in developing countries are treated well is not ignorant, they're naive. Nobody can pretend they don't know what's going on, they just don't have it pushed in their face 24/7 so they can ignore it.
    If they are ignoring it, then aren't they ignorant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    Peakey and KiiNGofLONDON

You keep saying should. With no reason. Provide a reason for why we SHOULD.
    Do to others as you would like done to yourself. Reduce suffering, let people in other contries have equally fulfilling lives. Life would be crap if you had no or little hope for the future, which is what people with no education and no job or hope of getting one have.

And of course God would want us too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Is it? Since when?
    That statement just proved how your selfish single digit IQ mind cannot comprehend the suffering these people are enduring. It's called morals, you have none so I don't expect you to understand. The country has to be rebuilt from scratch. We would of lost WWII if America did not intervene. What if America continued its policy of isolation and said we don't want anything to do with Europe? Your inconsiderate ass wouldn't be here right now.

Don't reply to this unless you have a worthwhile and genuine argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems.
    Two things:

1) This is a naturally occurring disaster. It's not the fault of the Government, or any alien body, it's just plain bad luck. This explains why there's always such massive international aid efforts after naturally occurring disasters and less so in the face of domestically created destituteness.

2) If you believe the above statement, then good for you. You aren't being forced to pay anything you wouldn't have otherwise paid for Haiti, so you can feel free to go and play on the roundabouts and jungle-jims all you want.

If, however, you're arguing that we shouldn't care, then you're - quite frankly - beyond hope. You can't impose your own emotions onto other people, so stop bothering everyone and piss off.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.