Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We should be against the war in Iraq because they are not attacking us are they?! And HAiti is not prepared for disasters such as this because they are a third world country, they don't have the resources to do so. I mean if they have a chice, don't you think they would be better prepared?

Just a question, where is your humanitarian side?

I just fail to understand how people like you can say those things.

(Original post by jaggedspike)
    That statement just proved how your selfish single digit IQ mind cannot comprehend the suffering these people are enduring. It's called morals, you have none so I don't expect you to understand. The country has to be rebuilt from scratch. We would of lost WWII if America did not intervene. What if America continued its policy of isolation and said we don't want anything to do with Europe? Your inconsiderate ass wouldn't be here right now.

Don't reply to this unless you have a worthwhile and genuine argument.
    Shows how much of a fool you are.

1) Morals are opinions, what is a moral for me might not be for you.

2) Russia would have won WW2 on its own, it still had 6 million soldiers left.

Double fail.

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    I look the fool, let's remember you're the one who had the brainpower to actually waterboard yourself?
    Your the one that lies . And yeah so? Your point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I have dyslexia as you are fully aware, your opinion frankly means as much to me as what comes out my arse .
    Alright, no need to get tetchy. If you want to know how to use you're/your just ask for help in the English forum.

Good day to you Sir.

ReputationRep:
    OP, I doubt you would hold that opinion if it was you and your family in Haiti right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    You do realise this is because of ardent US interventionism since 1915? And of course the latter violates your belief in self-determination, as such reperations are due.

I also suggest you read 'Mutual Aid', if you think the natural cycle gives advantages and impetus to selfish behaviour, which, it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I think many donate money because you have been made to feel bad by the media and also due to how good it feels when we help someone less fortunate than ourselves. I think charity makes one feel like they have done something good. Why is being altruistic a bad thing?

Its a shame that this country is so under-prepared for a natural disaster predictable by their geographics. But many lives have fallen and like anywhere else in the world the many Robin Hoods of the world want to give from the rich and to the poor. It is indeed dependent on our cultural moulding ...why else would we want to help those outside of our own? Surely that diverts resources (which could be used in an emergency) away from ourselves right? Also its likely that if an emergency occurred here in the UK the Haitians would probably be too financially unstable to give us help in return.

I do sometimes think why should I care....but at the end of the day the human race has designed itself to stick together. Yes war is wrong I will not ever condone that but I do think giving aid is a great thing. Long term aid must be given so the sheer scale of this doesn't happen again so hopefully we slow down Darwinism a minute and move forward as humans not just separate races.

I have rambled and confused myself take from this what you want ...meh

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, I don't. People are more than able to go and give their own money to the cause, Im not against this one bit, but I don't see why they have to throw all these images and campaigns in my face.

And besides, I bet other countries wouldn't help us in a time of need, so why should we?

ReputationRep:
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

There is nothing "humane" about what you are suggesting! I don't think I have ever read anything as disgusting this...

"I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech"
    At least you have "freedom of speech". How would you feel if you were made to relinquish your right to freedom of speech... how ever wrong and perverse your views might be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    Apply the logic elsewhere. There's a car crash and people die. Are you personally going to give money to help the families and the survivors of the car crash? Are you going to care for them, give them aid, support, all that nonsense? No you're not. You have no connection to the people so you don't care.
    We wouldn't give them aid because we know that we have well trainied emergency services, funded by our taxes, that would offer support and medical care to such people.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise this argument is pointless? The majority of the citizens of the developed world see themselves as having a worldy concience that means they should help those in need. Personally I agree with chucklefiend. I have no feelings towards the matter since it is none of my buisness. I saddens me that a country can be so underdeveloped that it gets choked off by incidents like this, but its a fact of life, that at every single moment, even when you or I are asleep in bed someone will be subject to some form of torment, whether of human or natural origin.

I think its interesting that certain people see themselves as being above this though. In this current economic crisis do you honestly think that anyone who sends aid is going not to have difficulty in the future economically?

Thats all the human race devolves into when you get down to it.

Politics, Money and the ability to dodge disaster.

Enjoy Flaming Me
    Rakkety

ReputationRep:
    What does this have to do with the war in Iraq?

The war in Iraq is beneficial to us because of the oil we can get there. It made sense to invade it, and I'm glad we did. It's just a shame that there are certain sections of the UK society that were against it.

We should get behind our country once again, make it strong, just like China is doing!

ReputationRep:

Shame on you! Its easy enough to rationalise away someone else's problems when they do not directly affect you.

One day your bubble will burst and you wont be content to let nature's forces run their course, or to turn down assistance because not being prepared was your fault!

Why should we give a damn? We should give a damn because we are human, and because we aren't all right wing idiots blaming the poor for their poverty or individuals for goverment failures!!!!

I dont care if my response seems overtly emotional in contrast to your 'logic', but frankly I thought people were better than this.

ReputationRep:
    You raise a good point but unlike you most other people give a **** about their species.
    We rely on developing countries for a source of goods and cheap labour , so it does matter to us, even if Haiti is of little importance to the UK.
    I think its mainly other countries jumping on the USAs band wagon.

ReputationRep:

Ok, time to come clean I only started this thread to see if I make a ridiculously insane point seem valid to some.

Most of you were throughly unconvinced, this is reassuring.

SALT, please tell me you are just arguing for the sake of argument too. Surely, you cannot believe we should simply stand by while people suffer hell on earth.

To sit on our snug little throne of an island while the world drowns in povety.

If you do, you have my sympathy my friend.
    You seriously got me there! :yep: I think we should do what we can to help whoever and wherever on this planet. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    We, as developed nations, have the resources needed to limit the suffering of the Haitian people. Why should we let the Haitians continue to suffer? What would this prove - that Darwinism is still an active force in Modern Civilisation?

We should help the Haitians, because we have the capability to the help them; they cannot help themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    We wouldn't give them aid because we know that we have well trainied emergency services, funded by our taxes, that would offer support and medical care to such people.
    So? America doesn't have free medical care, should we all donate to Americans to help them when they go to hospital?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Society functions on the basis that people will work cohesively together for the benefit of that very society. Helping others strengthens the bonds which make up that society, it ensures that when one member of that group needs help, others will help them because they know they will be helped if they require such assistance.
    Not necessarily, society also functions to single out and harm people. An Indian living in a racist society is only going to cause harm, yet the racists are helping each other, building bonds.

Just remember, I'm not against helping, nor am I saying that it's morally bad. I'm saying, there is no reason to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    So? America doesn't have free medical care, should we all donate to Americans to help them when they go to hospital?
    No, that wouldn't be sustainable, but we should care about their obtaining reasonable healthcare for all, and it appears that that goal is approaching realisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    No, that wouldn't be sustainable, but we should care about their obtaining reasonable healthcare for all, and it appears that that goal is approaching realisation.
    But why should we care? You say we should, but you don't provide any sort of reason as to why.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.