Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do unto others as you'd like done unto you. Works nicely, that compassion thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    You're brain washed and blind.
    well said!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rain4475)
    you're not helping for self interest if you know that you won't get anything in return and that you never will.
    you can't compare financial aid to an underdeveloped country which is suffering huge losses, to stealing murder and rape - at the end of the day no matter what your reason, you'd be helping those in Haiti...you definitely wouldn't be helping the victims of these crimes. It's the abuse which makes them immoral and that has nothing to do with Haiti
    I don't disagree with helping, I just disagree on the way you're all going about justifying your helping.

If you're helping for any other reason than you WANT to help, then you're probably doing it for either a bad reason, or the wrong reason.

Personally, I won't help, because I couldn't care less about Haiti. My non-helping is probably a result of the constant "ARE YOU HELPING HAITI? HELP HAITI NOW, JUST GIVE £2/MONTH!" I'm a rebel, I know.

(Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    Do unto others as you'd like done unto you. Works nicely, that compassion thing.
    Means a whole lot of masochists can get away with sadism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    Means a whole lot of masochists can get away with sadism.
    Yes because that completely undermines the sentiment of the expression :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativeLondoner)
    I would gladly donate to one of our European neighbours, if the worst happened, at the drop of a hat.

But to people in the Caribbean or Sichuan????
    pfff **** right off
    why does it matter what their location is

ReputationRep:
    Yes because that completely undermines the sentiment of the expression :rolleyes:
    You're saying that you should do to others as you want done to you. Masochists, basically enjoy being abused for sexual gratification. Which, by your own argument, means they can abuse people for sexual gratification because that's what they want done to them. Yet your argument is one of a moral choice to help other people? But you would allow for people to be abused, who perhaps didn't want to be abused.

I've said this a lot now, compassion isn't a reason why we OUGHT to help. It's a reason that you want to. I don't have that feeling of compassion towards the Haitians, so I don't want to help and I won't. That doesn't mean I'm a morally bad person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    You're saying that you should do to others as you want done to you. Masochists, basically enjoy being abused for sexual gratification. Which, by your own argument, means they can abuse people for sexual gratification because that's what they want done to them. Yet your argument is one of a moral choice to help other people? But you would allow for people to be abused, who perhaps didn't want to be abused.
    GCSE ethics level arguments aside, the vast majority of us would be very thankful if, living in a poor country with no capacity to help ourselves and hit by a natural disaster, were given significant help.

I've said this a lot now, compassion isn't a reason why we OUGHT to help. It's a reason that you want to. I don't have that feeling of compassion towards the Haitians, so I don't want to help and I won't. That doesn't mean I'm a morally bad person.
    As citizens and human beings we have responsibilities. Living in the first world, along with the enormous benefits and vastly superior lifestyles we enjoy, come huge responsibilities and obligations towards those very much less fortunate than us. Acceptance of this is what makes us better than the feral and the mindless.

Lack of compassion just shows a pretty worthless person.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE ethics level arguments aside, the vast majority of us would be very thankful if, living in a poor country with no capacity to help ourselves and hit by a natural disaster, were given significant help.
    Even so, self interest isn't the basis for a moral decision. Therefore there is no ought, only a want. Sure, if it were the other way around and I were a Haitian, I'd be very grateful for any help. Doesn't make me morally wrong for not donating.

As citizens and human beings we have responsibilities. Living in the first world, along with the enormous benefits and vastly superior lifestyles we enjoy, come huge responsibilities and obligations towards those very much less fortunate than us. Acceptance of this is what makes us better than the feral and the mindless.

Lack of compassion just shows a pretty worthless person.
    Why do we have responsibilities? Why is it our responsibility to be the ambulance of the world just because we're significantly better off? I don't see Bill Gates forking out whenever someone has a car accident in America.

I don't have a lack of compassion, I just don't feel compassion for the Haitians, because I don't see any reason to. The earthquake there hasn't affected me in anyway other than the rise in people asking me to give my money to other people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    Even so, self interest isn't the basis for a moral decision. Therefore there is no ought, only a want. Sure, if it were the other way around and I were a Haitian, I'd be very grateful for any help. Doesn't make me morally wrong for not donating.

Why do we have responsibilities? Why is it our responsibility to be the ambulance of the world just because we're significantly better off? I don't see Bill Gates forking out whenever someone has a car accident in America.

I don't have a lack of compassion, I just don't feel compassion for the Haitians, because I don't see any reason to. The earthquake there hasn't affected me in anyway other than the rise in people asking me to give my money to other people.
    So basically you quoted me in the first place to tell me you just don't care. How boring. Don't bother with is ought as that's a completely pointless line of argument in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    So basically you quoted me in the first place to tell me you just don't care. How boring. Don't bother with is ought as that's a completely pointless line of argument in the real world.
    It's still completely valid. You can't tell me I SHOULD do something out of compassion if I don't feel compassion towards it.

Like I said, there is no reason that I ought to care about Haiti, no reason at all. I can understand that there's reasons that people might want to, but there is no ought.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man I'm so tired of it. I understand it's a tragic accident, and the people who are alive should be helped medically, but seriously i don't care anymore. I'm not american but i have lived here for a while now and christ, americans are so annoying. always helping and waging wars and imposing views left and right. give it a ******* rest, take a break. Its not your job to take care of everyone, let them suffer and they will find solutions of their own and in the end become a better country for it, instead of always depending on the USA for help. People have always been dying and leaving family members and loved ones behind, but in my opinion the haitians needed our help the first few days, they got it, and now lets let them take care of themselves and build communities between themselves so they can build a better country. I don't know these are just random thoughts that i have had.

ReputationRep:
    Because I am human. I sympathise. Thats why I give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    they are poor and will be for decade, it's just helping them live longer to suffer even more, its like people with aids in africa or where ever it is why give them the drugs to prolong their life when they are suffering and are going to die anyway

some of the points are correct which op has made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    they are poor and will be for decade, it's just helping them live longer to suffer even more, its like people with aids in africa or where ever it is why give them the drugs to prolong their life when they are suffering and are going to die anyway

some of the points are correct which op has made
    You realise the road to improving conditions and becoming a developed country isn't just to let them die en mass?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure if an earthquake affected you, you'd hope others would be kind enough to help you ... Why should we give a damn, grow up already!

ReputationRep:
    If I were an American i would realize that most countries on earth despise America. The USA has done some pretty nasty stuff, and is still doing some pretty nasty stuff. It would be better for the world if you stopped meddling everywhere entirely, and also for yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and I'm sure if it was your country on the receiving end of an earthquake big enough to destroy it, you'd be saying just that.

ReputationRep:
    If one follows that argument, then why should we give a damm about the poor in this country? Why give them benefits, why not let them die off?

In fact, why have MEDICINE, why not let the weak die?>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ganic_)
    If I were an American i would realize that most countries on earth despise America. The USA has done some pretty nasty stuff, and is still doing some pretty nasty stuff. It would be better for the world if you stopped meddling everywhere entirely, and also for yourselves.
    Nice try with the trolling.

ReputationRep:
    OP has a point...I can totally respect his view, if he wasn't asking the question "why should we give a damn"

Well not everybody thinks the same, but people=/=countries and their interests. Thats what politiciasn are for. Humans are supposed to support and help each other. We only live once, and the more we make it better all over the world, the better it will get. Besides helping people is supposed to make people happy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.