Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Haiti: Why should we give a damn? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There are many, many reasons to care, but at the very least, because if you and your family were going through the living hell that these people are, you would hope to god that someone cared enough to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    So you would say your emotions lead you to provide whatever aid you can? Interesting.
    Yes, mostly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    Why? It's not our suffering, it's not making me unhappy at all knowing other people are suffering.
    You need your head checked, by a jumbo jet.

ReputationRep:
    Then why do you donate? The way I see it is that when these pictures, videos etc are shown and the stories of the tragedy are told, you sit there and think about how comfy your life is right now in comparison. Your life is better, you feel guilty for having more, you pay them to take away your guilt. "To help them" is merely the excuse you use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    You need your head checked, by a jumbo jet.
    That won't be easy, but nothing is... no?

ReputationRep:
    Why should it make a difference that these people are in a different country? In this day and age there is less and less that divides one culture from another. We are all human.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously don't know the history of Haiti... So stop acting as though you're well-read and intellectual... You're an ignorant fool and I'm glad that everyone is seeing that...

You're also selfish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    The question is why should I care about the Haitians. There is no reason for me to care about the Haitians. I'm not happy with the situation there, when I see it on TV I don't feel as though it's good that it happened. I just don't care that it's happened. I'm not affected by it, so it's not my business.

Apply the logic elsewhere. There's a car crash and people die. Are you personally going to give money to help the families and the survivors of the car crash? Are you going to care for them, give them aid, support, all that nonsense? No you're not. You have no connection to the people so you don't care.

If it weren't for this Haiti thing being broadcast 24/7 you wouldn't care about that either. It's only because every news broadcast, every cause advert about it screams at you to feel guilty for other people. Then offers you a way to buy your way out of your guilt.
    We're not talking about a car crash where 2 people are dead, we're talking about a country where 200,000 and counting are dead.

Regardless of where you're from in the world, we're all human and should therefore help one another.

Had the UK been in Haiti's position there's no way you'd be saying what you're saying right now.

Anyway, I found tonight's troll ladies and germs, what do I win?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    You obviously don't know the history of Haiti... So stop acting as though you're well-read and intellectual... You're an ignorant fool and I'm glad that everyone is seeing that...

You're also selfish.
    How about you discuss the topic of the thread and stop judging people. If we want to be judged by self-righteous strangers, we'll post a thread titled: Please judge us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    Even though Japan's resurgence was aided heavily by corporate America and various other forms of foreign direct investment from the western world. Human collaboration is one of the key driving forces behind mass social development and innovation. There are those like you, constantly talking down such vital behaviours, and hence provide no assistance to the breakthroughs which have changed life for all of us so much within the last century. It is attitudes like yours which would of kept humanity in the dark ages, gladly more progressive thinkers dont share your regressive mindset.

You may think you're somehow clever playing devils advocate. You're not, in fact all this thread shows is a visible inability on your behalf to use the search function, considering this topic has been brought up about three times within the last few days.

ReputationRep:

You're also selfish.
    I don't need to know the history to not care about the disaster. When Russians were marching all over Georgia, I didn't care about that either. China thinks Tibet is actually China, I still don't care.

Those things have no real connection to me and so I'm not affected by them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    We're not talking about a car crash where 2 people are dead, we're talking about a country where 200,000 and counting are dead.

Regardless of where you're from in the world, we're all human and should therefore help one another.

Had the UK been in Haiti's position there's no way you'd be saying what you're saying right now.

Anyway, I found tonight's troll ladies and germs, what do I win?
    I agree, if my life was devastated by an earthquake, I would ask for help if I needed it. That doesn't actually answer any questions though. He's not asking what would we do in the same situation, he's asking why should we care? My point with the car accident is, if you're arguing that we're human and so we need to care about other humans' suffering, then you also need to care, give support, aid etc to EVERY human who suffers. Regardless of their situation. Otherwise you're valuing some human life over other human life, which is just as 'bad' as me saying that the Haitians don't matter to me.

The answer is that there is no reason for us to care for the Haitians, being human and wanting to help other humans is not a good enough reason to justify an OUGHT. It's good enough to justify a want. By all means, continue to help, do what you can to help, just don't expect me to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    How about you discuss the topic of the thread and stop judging people. If we want to be judged by self-righteous strangers, we'll post a thread titled: Please judge us.
    You don't even care that hundreds of thousands of people are dyeing yet you expect people to care about not hurting your feelings??? People judge people. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    I don't need to know the history to not care about the disaster. When Russians were marching all over Georgia, I didn't care about that either. China thinks Tibet is actually China, I still don't care.

Mmmhmm, that is why you have commented on this thread. I always wonder about people like you, so keen to tell everyone how much you dont give a ****. "Oh look at me I dont care!!!!!! I'm so cool!!", there is nothing cutting edge about being indifferent my friend. I also find your misplaced sense of nationalism a firm reason as to why I despise people like you, I bet my ass that on any given day you couldnt give a rats ass about the unfortunate here. I bet you have never given away clothes to a charity shop, I can almost guarantee you have never even heard of charities like Shelter, you would probably never give up a sunday morning to help out in a soup kitchen. You know what, if you couldnt give a rats ass about turmoil outside of those who matter to you personally then just man up and say, dont come out with ******** like "Oh but they dont care about the sick and dying either", highly likely you dont either so I dont see why you mention it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)

So you don't even care to know why Haiti was so impoverished in the first place? Not only are you ignorant, but you're proud of it too!

Go back under your bridge troll!

ReputationRep:
    You don't even care that hundreds of thousands of people are dyeing yet you expect people to care about not hurting your feelings??? People judge people. Get over it.
    I never said I didn't care. In retrospect, I misnamed this thread. I should have called it 'Are we really helping the Haitians'. It is my belief that the actions of developed nations serve only as a conservative attempt to soothe our own collective conscience and is not really about helping the Haitians. If people really cared, they would not just donate a few pounds over the phone, they would make real personal sacrifice to not only help the Haitians in the present, but also ensure that a similar tradgedy does not happen in the future.

With regards to your comment about my 'feelings', this was not the point. My point was that this is a thread discussing the disaster in Haiti, not a thread dedicted to judging me. Neither me, nor your opinions of me, are at all relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand what the thread starter is trying to say, and how they can feel that it doesn't affect them, but I'd say that it does affect them in a longer term way even if there isn't a lot they can do about shaping the world.

On the larger scale it would be better for the whole world to be better equiped for disasters and developed everwhere rather than just a few parts of some countries. There would be massive savings on military expenses, aid funds, health costs for every country involved. This will mean a higher budget for the more important issues inside each country so there is faster societal growth and a faster fall in crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Blahblahblah I don't like you etc
    I don't care about the people in this country either. That wasn't my point though. I'm saying that there are so many people who are so self righteously arguing that it's good to give to charity to help Haitians, yet they refuse to give to charities to help the people that are on the poverty line in their own streets.

I know this is anecdotal, but I don't care. I was talking with a very middle class lecturer at College, she kept saying that she gives to African charities all the time, she does all this work for other people in less fortunate countries, but when I asked her what she's done for the homeless in our country, the people who are barely surviving, the people she passes on her way to work in her comfortable and brand new people carrier. She said nothing.

Point is, if you're saying that we should stop people from suffering because suffering is bad, then you have to stop everyone from suffering, not just people who are 'less fortunate'.

I joined this thread because I like to argue, that's okay with you isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    So you don't even care to know why Haiti was so impoverished in the first place? Not only are you ignorant, but you're proud of it too!

Go back under your bridge troll!
    Why am I troll? I'm not ignorant to their situation, I just don't care so I don't need to know. Truth is, you can do all this research, you can do all this charity work. You could go to Haiti yourself and raise it from the rubble with your bare hands. People will still be suffering, I still won't be caring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    I don't care about the people in this country either. That wasn't my point though. I'm saying that there are so many people who are so self righteously arguing that it's good to give to charity to help Haitians, yet they refuse to give to charities to help the people that are on the poverty line in their own streets.

I know this is anecdotal, but I don't care. I was talking with a very middle class lecturer at College, she kept saying that she gives to African charities all the time, she does all this work for other people in less fortunate countries, but when I asked her what she's done for the homeless in our country, the people who are barely surviving, the people she passes on her way to work in her comfortable and brand new people carrier. She said nothing.

Point is, if you're saying that we should stop people from suffering because suffering is bad, then you have to stop everyone from suffering, not just people who are 'less fortunate'.

I joined this thread because I like to argue, that's okay with you isn't it?
    You could say that by giving aid to africa she is helping more people than by giving aid in the UK since her money will go further, you could feed and shelter people for less over there and so it makes more sense if your aim was to help people.

I don't see what you are saying with your second last sentence, are you saying that homeless british people aren't less fortunate?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.