Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We should help them, because if for some reason, we ever need help, then we'd need to fall back on other countries to do so. But if we've never helped anyone, why should anyone help us?

ReputationRep:
    its only when something like that happens to you, will you understand what the people of Haiti are going through... its no fun to see your families and children crushed under buildings right in front of you. to stay out with no hope, no shelter, no food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nately)
    I can't say I agree with your extreme Darwinist standpoint on the Haiti disaster, but I concur with your views on the Iraq war, and indeed the interference of the world's so called super-powers in the running of other nations. Both the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars have caused countless pointless deaths.
    The Afghanistan war isn't pointless. If the Taliban weren't busy fighting us then they would be busy fighting their way into Pakistan, aquiring nuclear weapons, and attacking Israel. Israel would then attack Pakistan and as allies of Pakistan China would have to defend them. As allies of Israel we would have to defend Israel, putting ourselves in the firing line for a nuclear attack.

And then maybe OP, we'd be requiring aid ourseleves. I don't think you'd be turning it down then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    This kind of shocking suffering has happened countless times in the past and will happen countless times again in the future. No amount of financial aid, food packages or medical care will stop this.
    What so we at least cant TRY to help????? Yes, there are people suffering in our own back yard, but it has never been, or never will be(i hope) THAT bad!!! They have nothing... Would you be saying all this if it was you there? If you were in that situation, and you had NOTHING after a massive earthquake and all you could see were the dead around you...would you be saying it didn't matter?

ReputationRep:
    Do we have a responsibility to help the poor? if we do then we should give a damn about Haiti and if we don't then we shouldn't. And I'm not talking about the poor of Haiti or Biafra. I'm talking about the poor people of Britain. From there of course it follows that, IF we have a responsibility to help the poor of Britain, then we have a responsibility to help Haitians and Biafrans and everyone else in this world who's hurting.

But very few people actually do something in order to alleviate poverty. If we gave a damn 10 years ago, then Haiti would have had better infrastructure, better police, better health services and etc and today it would have been able to deal with the earthquake in a much better way. Istead we have a country sinking into chaos.

So if you give a damn about world poverty then yes you should give a damn about Haiti in particular. If not, then maybe you need to start giving a damn or simply stfu and go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotherma)
    Having an unlimited number of children is not a human right. Many countries will continue to decline/remain a failure unless they acknowledge this. Places like China and Korea have, and this is one of the reasons for their ongoing rise/success. How any impoverished citizen in any country should be allowed to have nine kids, with no chance of supporting them or affording them an education is beyond me.

Should be illegal, simple as.
    China and Korea have very, very poor human rights standards. Some of the ways that China achieved the one child policy (forced abortions, babies left to die, forced sterilisations) were inhumane and completely against all western belief systems. I don't agree with families multiplying without any means of supporting their children, but you can hardly argue that China and Korea are perfect examples of how to react to overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    Where did you get this piece of information from ?

ReputationRep:
    After reading first couple pages. It doesn't seem like many can get past their barriers and grasp the point the OP is trying to make.

ReputationRep:
    Why should we give a damn?
    You shouldn't give a damn. But you also shouldn't judge those who do. It's all about education and the moral compass each of us has. Some will walk by an injured man lying on the pavement. Others will stop and lend a hand. No one should be expected to act the same way. It's all about the punishment and the reward, the pain and the pleasure. We generally feel good when we eat, when we have sex, when we help others. Because it's 'for the greater good' or for 'a long term good', sometimes we can afford a minor effort. That's how we humans usually function.

ReputationRep:
    an answer

globalization + capitalism

the use of aid and other general acts/promises of kindness is a good method of overshadowing the capitalization/exploitation of poor nations by the developed.

sort of like stockholm syndrome

+ it gives the citizens of developed nations an ego boost, and inhibits them from thinking more about such subjects

ReputationRep:
    Just because we can't stop suffering, doesn't mean we should stop fighting it, and trying to ameliorate it.

We can't stop cancer or AIDS, does that mean we should let sufferers die, not bother trying to find cures?

The comparison with Japan is deeply unfair. Japan is an incredibly affluent nation, able to spend vast amounts of money on their infrastructure, education and military responses to disasters. Haiti, on the other hand, has always been destitute. The 9000 UN Peacekeepers permanently stationed there should give you some clue.

We are all humans, not British, Haitian and Japanese. We do have a duty, on some level, to help other humans, in as much as we can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becomingbindy)
    China and Korea have very, very poor human rights standards. Some of the ways that China achieved the one child policy (forced abortions, babies left to die, forced sterilisations) were inhumane and completely against all western belief systems. I don't agree with families multiplying without any means of supporting their children, but you can hardly argue that China and Korea are perfect examples of how to react to overpopulation.
    How much do you know about the one child policy? Birth control in china is nothing like you said. No aborthion can be forced and no babies are left to die. As to the sterilisations, people do that simply because it is the easiest way to control birth.
    I didn't mean that there is nothing wrong about birth control. But if anyone got any good idea about how to make a country with 1.3 billion people develop constantly without letting people suffering from hunger and unnecessary illness and death, he would be honored and respected, not only by chinese people, but also by people from all developing countries, or say, all over the world.

ReputationRep:
    We're human. It's a natural disaster.

ReputationRep:
    Why are there so many of these threads

ReputationRep:
    This shouldn't be a debate.

ReputationRep:
    You self-righteous ********

ReputationRep:
    hw selfish can yu get "why shud we give a dam??" wuh yu trippin on mate????

ReputationRep:
    ....You're a freak, really

ReputationRep:
    Because it's what decent human beings do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    This is why

Oh my, thats awful . The people of Haiti need our help to get back to some sort of normality after the earthquake that has dessimated their country and killed thousands. They are poor people, we are not and therefore should help them in whatever way we can.I myself have donated to the appeal.Its awful to see little children fending for themselves because their parents are dead, the people sitting around the rubble that was once their home.

I fail to see how someone cannot be moved by it all.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.