Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Haiti: Why should we give a damn? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Annie72)
    Because they are our fellow human beings, they are just like us. Imagine if it happened here, wouldnt we want people from other countries to help us?.
    So? Just because they are human?

I wouldn't expect other countries to help no.

Sure if I see something bad happening I will try my best to stop it, but somehow suggesting that I should have no choice but to help people I do not know is illogical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Very few people would defend someone who was being stabbed purely out of fear of there own life.

It's all good being a keyboard warrior but the fact is thats not real life.
    And your poor grasp of your own proud language fails you again. I said if you were stabbed. It's already happened, just as the hurricane has. The fact that you're debating this has convinced much of TSR that you're a waste of air, I can assure you of that. Congratulations.

(Original post by Yuppie20)
    what about for countries without stable governments, ones that lack resources and the means to administer sufficient aid
    So basically, why should I bother paying tax, to pay for these services, when if we all didn't bother someone else would come and give us the money anyway?

It was a ****** place before and no amount of cash will change that.

(Original post by KiiNGofLONDON)
    And your poor grasp of your own proud language fails you again. I said if you were stabbed. It's already happened, just as the hurricane has. The fact that you're debating this has convinced much of TSR that you're a waste of air, I can assure you of that. Congratulations.
    Don't play the smart arse card because it dosn't suit you, your not smart enough to pull it off.

People should be able to make the choice if they give a damn or not, without ridicule from people who get human emotions mixed up with reality.

ReputationRep:
    the thing that irritates me is that people are placing greater value on the lives of haitians than anyone else. When there are millions of people dying from things like a lack of clean water, aids and whatnot around the world every day, it is unfair to influence the giving of money in one particular direction - no charity could dream of getting the sort media coverage and publicity that haiti is getting for free, even if they paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.
    Japan is also one of the world's richest countries, a place where, although the earthquakes are horrific, they have the money and resources to warn of earthquakes, and to survive them (to some extent) afterwards. They have the tools to free the trapped, and adequate healthcare.

And surely, if an earthquake ahppened to us (purely hypothetical, of course) we would expect people to help us. Put yourself in the position of the victims.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, why should I bother paying tax, to pay for these services, when if we all didn't bother someone else would come and give us the money anyway?
    Thats a pretty godawful argument, how can you compare not bothering to pay taxes you can afford, to people who live in poverty?

(Original post by vroom9)
    Thats a pretty godawful argument, how can you compare not bothering to pay taxes you can afford, to people who live in poverty?
    Plenty of people live in poverty in this country.

There are millions and millions all over the world.

People who give to Haiti who then think they have saved the world are either niave or foolish. No amount of money that can be given will solve these problems, as China found out the only way to solve it is to stop the population growth until a point that they can sustain themselves.

ReputationRep:
    China found out the only way to solve it is to stop the population growth until a point that they can sustain themselves.
    Yeah, because that was successful.

(Original post by lucefowls)
    Yeah, because that was successful.
    They have the most powerful economy in the world and very low unemployment, so yes, a total success too be honest.

ReputationRep:
    They have the most powerful economy in the world and very low unemployment, so yes, a total success too be honest.
    the population is still on the rise, so sooner or later, it wont be a success, it'll be a catastophe.

ReputationRep:
    most of these developing countries are in this state because us developed nations used to have them as part of our empire then when we gave them independence we just left them to it and didnt exactly help much from what i've learnt so i think we kind of have a responsiblity.
    we are rather lucky that we arent exactly affected by hurricanes, earthquakes, volcano erruptions etc and when something does happen we can cope with it. we have grown with the technological advancements because we evented a lot of them to start with but because we were at a place were we could take them on and move up in the world, Hati evidentaly not and it isnt completly their own fault.

i do however agree that the amount of news coverage is a little too much but thats what the media is there for, i like to no the facts more than another person they have managed to pull out of the rubble etc and the 20 different estimates on how many people have died.

(Original post by lucefowls)
    the population is still on the rise, so sooner or later, it wont be a success, it'll be a catastophe.
    At a far slower rate, and it's something there massive economy can take.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people live in poverty in this country.

There are millions and millions all over the world.

People who give to Haiti who then think they have saved the world are either niave or foolish. No amount of money that can be given will solve these problems, as China found out the only way to solve it is to stop the population growth until a point that they can sustain themselves.
    Seriously less poverty than that in Haiti, the fact is we have the facilites and charities to help this, Haiti does not.

I've donated, and I am just one person of the countrys 65+million population. If every person donated £1 then that would obviously help. It has mass media coverage because 200,000 have died in a matter of days. People know about world poverty, it isnt the media's job to tell them to consider this, you can make up your own mind.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god, threads like this are boring.

The people who don't see a point in caring, won't care no matter how many times you insult them. The people who do care, will carry on caring. Simple.

Let the people who give a damn carry on yes? No one's asking you to do anything at all OP.

(Original post by vroom9)
    Seriously less poverty than that in Haiti, the fact is we have the facilites and charities to help this, Haiti does not.

I've donated, and I am just one person of the countrys 65+million population. If every person donated £1 then that would obviously help. It has mass media coverage because 200,000 have died in a matter of days. People know about world poverty, it isnt the media's job to tell them to consider this, you can make up your own mind.
    You do not understand this, your mind is clouded by human emotion and you do not see the cause of the problem.

The problem will be they have a population they cannot sustain because we are saving people that should have died. This will keep them in poverty for far far longer.

There population needs to be reduced to a level that they can manage and sustain and have everyone living in OK conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    Empathy. Giving a helping hand is essentially irrational is what you are saying. Agreed, but a utilitarian approach here is inhumane and socially unacceptable. This is reason enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_wong_711)
    Compassion is good.

But the biggest question we should be asking ourselves now is, what will happen NEXT? We suddenly care when people are dying. What about before it happened? Did anybody really know where Haiti was and how they were living? Nope. Will we continue to care in many many years from now? Nope. What about ALL the poor, suffering nations? So, in a way the OP is very right. There is so much hypocrisy going on in the so called developed world, it's pathetic.

The biggest problem of the world is OVERPOPULATION. If we care about anybody, developed or not, we should address this problem and it only and, like, right away. Otherwise, soon there will simply be no resources left for ANYBODY to survive. But, alas, it is probably too too late now.
    OP, this is clearly you- reduce the shame and leave now

ReputationRep:
    A huge economy built on negligible labour costs and zero human rights is hardly a success story.

Care to answer my questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Because people are suffering, and as humans we should try to minimise this suffering.
    Close Thread.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.