Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Only when we have established a Utopia in Britain should we help any other human being throughout the world.

This argument is completely asinine.

ReputationRep:
    People in Britain should be lucky that these sorts of natural disasters don't take place here.

(Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Only when we have established a Utopia in Britain should we help any other human being throughout the world.

This argument is completely asinine.
    I don't think anyone is saying Britain should be in a PERFECT state that is using that argument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    Sounds similar to this theory I learned in GCSE biology. Theory of Evolution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I don't think anyone is saying Britain should be in a PERFECT state that is using that argument?
    I've seen you peddling a similar line of thought; that there are poor, who we must remember are already afforded a Welfare State, within Britain who should be addressed before Haitians although both can be taken care of at the same time.

I'll let you have the last word, if you want it. Also, shouldn't you be in school?

ReputationRep:
    I've seen you peddling a similar line of thought; that there are poor, who we must remember are already afforded a Welfare State, within Britain who should be addressed before Haitians although both can be taken care of at the same time.

I'll let you have the last word, if you want it.
    Both of them aren't being taken care of at the same time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    Your just self-centered. If it doesn't affect you then you have no interest. The Haiti disaster has united mankind for a good cause.
    And to be honest you should be banned from TSR! Its sad to think they are still people like you around:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I started to read this thread but since my last read it's gotten far to long for me to read back through it, so forgive me if I'm doubling up on peoples points.

The natural disaster in Haiti is a tragedy both for it's people and the country. We as the developed world I think should do everyone within our power (both financial, medical and social) to help these people who have basically what little they had. Countries who are less prepared or economically worse off should not receive less assistance if anything countries should set aside differences and rally together as human beings to help our fell man and woman.

Unfortunately the world we live in is prune to disasters both natural and otherwise, both on our own shores and aboard. In times of great need regardless of political differences, race, religion and nationality we should and must come together to help these nations rebuild, regrow and move forward. After all we would expect no less, if the same happened to us.

I'll let you have the last word, if you want it. Also, shouldn't you be in school?
    So what does it matter if they are within a welfare state or not? If it's clearly not working for them...

ReputationRep:
    So what does it matter if they are within a welfare state or not? If it's clearly not working for them...
    Can I see that video when you waterboard yourself? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pritnep)
    I started to read this thread but since my last read it's gotten far to long for me to read back through it, so forgive me if I'm doubling up on peoples points.

The natural disaster in Haiti is a tragedy both for it's people and the country. We as the developed world I think should do everyone within our power (both financial, medical and social) to help these people who have basically what little they had. Countries who are less prepared or economically worse off should not receive less assistance if anything countries should set aside differences and rally together as human beings to help our fell man and woman.

Unfortunately the world we live in is prune to disasters both natural and otherwise, both on our own shores and aboard. In times of great need regardless of political differences, race, religion and nationality we should and must come together to help these nations rebuild, regrow and move forward. After all we would expect no less, if the same happened to us.
    You keep saying we SHOULD. You fail to provide a reason why.

You're basically saying that we SHOULD help that it's something EVERYBODY SHOULD do. You're not saying that there's any reason we should. And if there's no reason we should, then what's your problem with people like me who don't think we should? I'm not saying we shouldn't. Just that it's not imperative that we should.

Can I see that video when you waterboard yourself? Thanks.
    Ah so you result to pointless rubbish when your argument fails.

Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    You should give a damn or your mother wont be to pleased with you.she will tell you to sit on with naughty step and think about others who are dieing and the only way we can help minimise it is by giving a damn.

(Original post by Yuppie20)
    OP, this is clearly you- reduce the shame and leave now
    :rofl2:

Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Ah so you result to pointless rubbish when your argument fails.

Awesome.
    Oh no, it's a futile debate. Most of what I'd say, has already been said quite well.

I am very interested to see you attempt to torture yourself though, and seeing as you created a thread about if before and indicated that you would share the video, why are you now objecting?

Oh no, it's a futile debate. Most of what I'd say, has already been said quite well.

I am very interested to see you attempt to torture yourself though, and seeing as you created a thread about if before and indicated that you would share the video, why are you now objecting?
    I did with everyone who asked at the time .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    I agree, if my life was devastated by an earthquake, I would ask for help if I needed it. That doesn't actually answer any questions though. He's not asking what would we do in the same situation, he's asking why should we care? My point with the car accident is, if you're arguing that we're human and so we need to care about other humans' suffering, then you also need to care, give support, aid etc to EVERY human who suffers. Regardless of their situation. Otherwise you're valuing some human life over other human life, which is just as 'bad' as me saying that the Haitians don't matter to me.

The answer is that there is no reason for us to care for the Haitians, being human and wanting to help other humans is not a good enough reason to justify an OUGHT. It's good enough to justify a want. By all means, continue to help, do what you can to help, just don't expect me to.
    How about say you were in the same position and no nation wanted to help. What kinda feeling would that be son? And say your mother or girlfriend would've survived by a tiny bit of advanced medicine.

So probably cause the voluntary helpers don't want them to feel this way...no?

ReputationRep:
    Erm they pay what they can, its far better conditions than Africa.
    I'm not sure I understand your argument, if you have one. The Chinese government has built an economic power through the blood and sweat of it's underpayed, exploited people/workers/slaves. What has this got to do with Africa?

(Original post by KiiNGofLONDON)
    I'm not sure I understand your argument, if you have one. The Chinese government has built an economic power through the blood and sweat of it's underpayed, exploited people/workers/slaves. What has this got to do with Africa?
    Would you rather go to work and earn $50 a week, which over there is not a bad amount.

Or sit in Africa, have 10 children and rely on others to pay for you while your country goes no where?

ReputationRep:
    Considering I deleted it off the site it was uploaded too, good luck with failing at that .
    I already have it lol, someone download it and saved it. It really is quite amusing. A promise to rep them, and they handed it over.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.