Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student in Year 10.

Currently, I'm having trouble achieving an A in ANY subject. For science, we done a mock test and I was 3 marks away from A. For english, I got B+ and I was 2-3 marks away from A again.

I revise a few minutes each day. I do past papers. However, I still don't know how to get an A! Maybe it's because I hardly read books? My vocabulary is also quite poor as you can tell. :no:

Any tips will be appreciated very much. Thank You ^_^

ReputationRep:
    You need to revise for a few hours a day, rather than a few minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I revise a few minutes each day.
    A few minutes?!? You need to revise longer than that if you want good marks.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. =] Unfortunately, I'm not very good at revising effectively.

Does anyone have any tips for revising? E.g., work in a quiet enviroment? The facts just don't seem to sink in my brain..

ReputationRep:
    cgp revision book for science. all you need for 2 easy A*'s. past papers for maths. practise exam questions for english.
    reading textbooks for other subjects

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student in Year 10.

Currently, I'm having trouble achieving an A in ANY subject. For science, we done a mock test and I was 3 marks away from A. For english, I got B+ and I was 2-3 marks away from A again.

I revise a few minutes each day. I do past papers. However, I still don't know how to get an A! Maybe it's because I hardly read books? My vocabulary is also quite poor as you can tell. :no:

Any tips will be appreciated very much. Thank You ^_^
    to be honest ill say ur worrying too much youve still got yr 11. i got 9 A*s in GCSE's last year and mind you my revision was not very effective to be truthful to you. when i was in year i 10 revised vigorously for my sciences since we were doing to modular specification. Revise what you learnt school ie; notes, definitions, practicals and do things outside the box. In this way i mean dont just stick to school books becaue usually theyre quiet rubbish.

for the moment put your soul into external exams since some might not be retakable and youll find yourself in a very unconformable and depressing situation if you do bad in these. for the other subjects personally i would recommend start as soon as you begin yr 11. best wishes xx hope u too get 9 A*s or even more. god blessx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous0155)
    cgp revision book for science. all you need for 2 easy A*'s. past papers for maths. practise exam questions for english.
    reading textbooks for other subjects
    1. My school supplies us with revision guides for science, so that's already solved.

2. My exam board for maths is Edexcel. They're quite stingy about their past papers and it's really hard to come across them. If you have a site where I can acquire some, that would be really lovely.

3. Exam questions for english? I'm not exactly sure how that would help me in answering them

Hmm.

Revise a few hours a day (I started in earnest in the Easter holidays IIRC), but before then I'd already prepared notes based on the specifications.

Once you know your notes are thorough enough, and you understand/know them, then you can start doing past papers to improve your timing and exam technique.

ReputationRep:
    1. My school supplies us with revision guides for science, so that's already solved.

2. My exam board for maths is Edexcel. They're quite stingy about their past papers and it's really hard to come across them. If you have a site where I can acquire some, that would be really lovely.

3. Exam questions for english? I'm not exactly sure how that would help me in answering them
    2. http://www.freeexampapers.com/Dndex....NTRS9NYXRocw==

3. I wen from a D student to an A student in english just by doing past papers. I read, re-read my antohlogy and put in good notes; not just one word notes but sentences which describe certain themes and aspects. If you do like loads of past paper questions for english its likely to come up again.

The questions I did in my exam; i done around 2-3 timesa already and it took loads of pressure of

ReputationRep:
    For English, the best thing you can really do is practise analysing pieces of text for style, function, audience, context, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloverocknroll)
    to be honest ill say ur worrying too much youve still got yr 11. i got 9 A*s in GCSE's last year and mind you my revision was not very effective to be truthful to you. when i was in year i 10 revised vigorously for my sciences since we were doing to modular specification. Revise what you learnt school ie; notes, definitions, practicals and do things outside the box. In this way i mean dont just stick to school books becaue usually theyre quiet rubbish.

for the moment put your soul into external exams since some might not be retakable and youll find yourself in a very unconformable and depressing situation if you do bad in these. for the other subjects personally i would recommend start as soon as you begin yr 11. best wishes xx hope u too get 9 A*s or even more. god blessx
    Wow, well done! 9 A*'s is quite an achievement One of the reason I'm studying early is because my teachers are horrible at their job. This means I have to put more effort if I want to achieve the grades I'm aiming for (A's and A*'s). It doesn't help that I'm not naturally smart either, haha.

ReputationRep:
    " I revise a few minutes each day "

Thats the problem. Well done for revising each day (thats more than i did) but make it for a couple of hours

ReputationRep:
    Sort out your apostrophe use and grammar first. In year 10 just stay on top of coursework and improve your marks however you can. Revision comes in year 11 really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous0155)
    2. http://www.freeexampapers.com/Dndex....NTRS9NYXRocw==

3. I wen from a D student to an A student in english just by doing past papers. I read, re-read my antohlogy and put in good notes; not just one word notes but sentences which describe certain themes and aspects. If you do like loads of past paper questions for english its likely to come up again.

The questions I did in my exam; i done around 2-3 timesa already and it took loads of pressure of
    Thank you for the link!

Amazing. I'll definitely try your tip =]

ReputationRep:
    I just do past papers on everything. That helped a hell of a lot. I started GCSEs in June '09, and since then my grades have been this so far (with AQA for all of them):

A* in Biology 1a (full marks in this )
    A* in chemistry 1a
    A* in physics 1a
    A* in physics 1b
    A* in physics ISA
    A* in Maths Number and data handling
    A averaged out in 3 English language courseworks (as you can tell, no past papers here since its coursework, I'm not 100% sure what they look for, so I slipped a grade).

Revision is always the way to go, even if you have no exams. Thats what I do, and not always in past papers. You should go over your classwork, or look through text books.

ReputationRep:
    Past papers on their own can only help you so much. What you can also do is read examiners' reports (available on the exam boards' websites), those will give you an idea of what you need to do to get good marks.

When you revise, you can't expect everything to sink in and stick in your memory the first few times. What you need to do is go over it, again and again. Eventually, some of it should start to stick, but you have to be patient. I often used mnemonics to help me remember things, I used to learn them just before exams and then test myself several times to make sure I knew them.

ReputationRep:
    I revise a few minutes each day. I do past papers. However, I still don't know how to get an A!
    You definitely need to be doing more than a few mintues each day! . If you're finding it hard concentrating, then try different ways of revision, you might find you enjoy one more than others e.g. taking detailed notes, making revision cards or making mind maps. Revising in a way that you actually enjoy and you can actually learn from will definitely help you on your way to an A* .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Sort out your apostrophe use and grammar first. In year 10 just stay on top of coursework and improve your marks however you can. Revision comes in year 11 really.
    Did I make any grammatical errors in my first post?

ReputationRep:
    Did I make any grammatical errors in my first post?
    "we done a mock test"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94_confessions)
    You definitely need to be doing more than a few mintues each day! . If you're finding it hard concentrating, then try different ways of revision, you might find you enjoy one more than others e.g. taking detailed notes, making revision cards or making mind maps. Revising in a way that you actually enjoy and you can actually learn from will definitely help you on your way to an A* .
    30 minutes of revision everyday is quite low. I'll try bump it up to about an hour and a half then

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.