The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

nolongerhearthemusic
"we done a mock test"

Care to correct me, please?
Reply 21
through hard work and determination

just kidding bribe the exam boards instead.
Past papers is really all I ever do.
We do Edexcel maths too, and I did mine in November, and my revision just consisted of doing mock exams, marking them and learning from the mistakes.
For the sciences, I just read through those CGP revision books. If you ignore the pathetic attempts at humour, they're all right.

For English, I can't really help you there, I didn't revise at all for mine xD I suppose, just know the poems you need from your Anthology inside out?
InadequateJusticex
Care to correct me, please?

"We did" or "we have done."
your in year 10 dont worry about it too much.
a few minutes a day is fine, i dont know why people are telling you "you should be doing a couple of hours" 99% of gcse students, especially at year 10, dont revise at all unless they have modular tests coming up. i think you may be revising in the wrong way, try other techniques, maybe read from different sources or revise at different times and place.
Delete your account for this site.
That will make you work a bit more.
I should have learned from that by now really!

Apart from that, make posters, powerpoints and notes.
Look at them again and again until you fully understand and can remember the information on them.
Try teaching someone the information and ask them questions about it. Then explain where they go wrong.
Reply 26
CGP revision guides (for your particular exam board) are lifesavers. Particularly for maths and sciences. They condense all the information you need to know and enable quick but efficient revision. Don't but them until next year though i.e. Year 11 in case the exam rubric or content was to change and make sure you buy the ones aimed specifically at the exam board that you are doing.

In Year 10 you are just starting out and learning how to do well at things. I know I was getting moslt As and Bs in Year 10 and went on to get all A*s. Just make sure you pay attention in class, do homework well rather than with minimal effort and spend time revising when it gets closer to exams. If the teachers are rubbish, invest in some more textbooks and see what they all have to say on the topic that you are currently studying.

For English, you just need to know the texts you are studying really well. Make sure you read them and try and pick out themes, interesting use of words etc. This would be easier if you already read and had a decent idea of literature in general so maybe start reading some other books if you have some spare time. Reading automatically increases your vocabulary without you even noticing but you can actively increase it as well by reading and looking up words in the dictionary if you don't know what they mean.

Just do past papers and look at example essays and you should get an idea of how to do well.

Good luck! But remember you're only in Year 10 at the moment so try not to worry too much just keep putting in a decent amount of effort and you'll do brilliantly.
Miss Mary
A few minutes?!? You need to revise longer than that if you want good marks.
Not ALWAYS.. I don't do any revising and am at English(B) Maths(B) Science(A) and will very likely get an A at Maths.. so that's AAB in ONE year (yes I missed year 10) without trying..
Reply 28
kevin_123
Not ALWAYS.. I don't do any revising and am at English(B) Maths(B) Science(A) and will very likely get an A at Maths.. so that's AAB in ONE year (yes I missed year 10) without trying..

at least we know someone who knows what they are talkin about :stupid:
best way to get A's and A*'s is just slip a £50 note on the pages you cannot answer. worked for me :wink:
Reply 29
InadequateJusticex
I'm a student in Year 10.

Currently, I'm having trouble achieving an A in ANY subject. For science, we done a mock test and I was 3 marks away from A. For english, I got B+ and I was 2-3 marks away from A again.

I revise a few minutes each day. I do past papers. However, I still don't know how to get an A! Maybe it's because I hardly read books? My vocabulary is also quite poor as you can tell. :no:

Any tips will be appreciated very much. Thank You ^_^

i think that if ure getting Bs it shows ure a very capable student..id say its all got to do with the purpose of every work you do on the exams because i think thats what will help u understand what extra work u need to get As.

e.g. the whole purpose of English GCSE is to see 1: u can communicate well 2: you understand what you read 3: you recognise audience 4: you dont forget what the question asks you so u dont write anything else ... etc.

just find out what you get marks for and just aim at showing the examiners you are able to do whatever they want to check in you...

i hope this helps
Have you tried revision cards/flash cards... it sounds a bit stupid but I tried these for my Chemistry AS and they worked..
I think its because they force you to take the most important bits of any given topic and condense them into key points on a card.Then when you look back at them its all more obvious and easier to digest.
I know this might sound stupid, but stop worrying about getting A's and A*'s....just try your best and be happy with whatever you get knowing you did the very best you could. Work hard, that's it really, some people just can't get it at GCSE but by As and A2 they get straight A's! I know everyone has a target but don't stick by it otherwise you'll be disappointed if you don't get it...
nolongerhearthemusic
"We did" or "we have done."

Thank you :smile:

Also thank you very much to everyone who has contributed to this topic, everyone's tips have definitely made me feel a lot better! =]
Reply 33
If you want an A in any subject, pick ones you enjoy the most, that way revising is less of a chore.

For details you have trouble remembering, write them on post-its and stick them everywhere, it helped me a lot with rememering how to spell complex words and their meanings :smile:
Reply 34
I revised the night before my exams, 9pm-2am, please do not do this, there is nothing worse than leaving it till the last minute, year 11 was a fab year, and the one which my procrastination almost saw the end of me, if I were in your position, I would consider doing upon completion of all hw, cw, blah blah, an hour every day. This is sure to get you A* in almost all your subjects, there is the other variable of luck to cnsider of course :wink:
I really really recommend for GCSE's CGP books. Maybe if they had done them for A level i wouldve done better :/
Reply 36
I'm not so smart either. But starting to read high quality news papers really helps with english. Also....working your ass off helps!!!
Reply 37
so what if the OP revises a few minutes a day, he's in year 10, i weren't in education in yearr 10. chilllllllll.
Get off TSR and do waaayyy more than a few minutes of revision!
Just basically think, sleep, eat and breathe revision, and you will have straight A*s come results day. Providing you're reasonably intelligent, obviously.

Latest

Trending

Trending