Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How can I achieve A's and A*'s? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't try to worry yourself out too much at the moment as you have a year until your exams.
    Even in January year 11 i got Cs,Ds and an E in my mocks but in my real GCSE Exams i achieved mainly A*'s
    A. teachers just try and push you as much as they can, thats why they may mark harsher.
    B. you have a year to go so you wont have all the techniques to answer the questions
    C. with me i can't take mocks or practice essay seriously, i only do well when i know its important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz Shah)
    at least we know someone who knows what they are talkin about :stupid:
    best way to get A's and A*'s is just slip a £50 note on the pages you cannot answer. worked for me
    Sorry, are you trying to be sarcastic or..? I wasn't giving advice, it's just that GCSEs are really easy, and if you're struggling to get an A at ANYTHING maybe you're just not very smart? My point was just that, you don't even need to "try" to get As...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    30 minutes of revision everyday is quite low. I'll try bump it up to about an hour and a half then
    Good idea! However, it's not a good idea to try and do an hour and a half all in one go :'). Happy revising .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    Sorry, are you trying to be sarcastic or..? I wasn't giving advice, it's just that GCSEs are really easy, and if you're struggling to get an A at ANYTHING maybe you're just not very smart? My point was just that, you don't even need to "try" to get As...
    Maybe it's not that they're not smart, but maybe they're having trouble learning and staying focussed if all their subjects are ones they might not enjoy. I know I don't study for subjects I don't enjoy :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 94_confessions)
    Maybe it's not that they're not smart, but maybe they're having trouble learning and staying focussed if all their subjects are ones they might not enjoy. I know I don't study for subjects I don't enjoy :p:.
    If they don't enjoy any subjects at GCSE all I can say is: Construction or Hair&Beauty awaits you!

I mean come on! There's Maths, English, Science, R.E, IT.. then you have a choice of: Language, Geography, History etc. etc.

And my point was that you dont even need to study (I dont) just pay attention in class, i.e just listen and think about it.. if you dont have the willpower to even just listen and concentrate, then: Construction or Hair&Beauty awaits you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin_123)
    If they don't enjoy any subjects at GCSE all I can say is: Construction or Hair&Beauty awaits you!

I mean come on! There's Maths, English, Science, R.E, IT.. then you have a choice of: Language, Geography, History etc. etc.

And my point was that you dont even need to study (I dont) just pay attention in class, i.e just listen and think about it.. if you dont have the willpower to even just listen and concentrate, then: Construction or Hair&Beauty awaits you!
    Well, what about subjects that you can't take at GCSE but only at A level? And in reply to your statement about not studying, I've found that there are people who can get As and A*s without having to revise, and there are some who attain the same grades, but have to work a little harder than the others, and getting the motivation to do that extra work in subjects you don't enjoy is bloody difficult!

ReputationRep:
    I got some As and A*s and never revised or bothered much with coursework at GCSEs.

Try being more awesome, spend those two years partying.

On a more serious note... That worked for me. Being in that group of lazy and 'gifted' people is great. Asides revising more and trying different types of revision; testing yourself, talking with others, writing stuff out, whatever, I don't see what you can really do. I mean, not everyone should get top grades.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student in Year 10.

Currently, I'm having trouble achieving an A in ANY subject. For science, we done a mock test and I was 3 marks away from A. For english, I got B+ and I was 2-3 marks away from A again.

I revise a few minutes each day. I do past papers. However, I still don't know how to get an A! Maybe it's because I hardly read books? My vocabulary is also quite poor as you can tell. :no:

Any tips will be appreciated very much. Thank You ^_^
    Revise for a few hours. Break down your study sections. Do all your coursework. Do past papers and let your teachers correct them. Don't worry about mocks - despite popular belief they are NOT a clear indication of what you'll get in the exam... in fact, your mock marks don't seem bad at all.
    You know all the material. Just revise some more!!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I DO have a life. I go out every weekend but I still leave enough time for myself to revise, obviously.

I like most of my subjects. So that's not the problem, like the other poster said o_O

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I DO have a life. I go out every weekend but I still leave enough time for myself to revise, obviously.

I like most of my subjects. So that's not the problem, like the other poster said o_O

Well if your that concerned with getting A's and A*'s, you might realise that by staying in one weekend once in a while or organising your time better ie: doing a certain amount of revision each day, you might be able to do better than what you are now...you sound like you need self-discipline.
    And besides, some people work incredibly hard and don't get all A's and A*'s so maybe your that type of person, no offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stef.strawbs.123)
    Well if your that concerned with getting A's and A*'s, you might realise that by staying in one weekend once in a while or organising your time better ie: doing a certain amount of revision each day, you might be able to do better than what you are now...you sound like you need self-discipline.
    And besides, some people work incredibly hard and don't get all A's and A*'s so maybe your that type of person, no offence.
    Haha don't worry, I know exactly what you're talking about. After all, you can't expect to get A's and A*'s after studying a lot - you also need to be genetically capable.

ReputationRep:
    cheating is always the best option, some people think that working hard and revising makes them more intelligent, it doesn't, it makes them chumps.
    Notice that according to the rules set down by the exam board you are allowed a bottle of water in your exam, NOWHERE does it say that you must remove the brand label from the bottle. merely remove said label prior to the exam, scan it onto your computer and replace all the small text with whatever notes you feel will be of most use to you.
    also purchase a two way ultra violet pen such as this one http://www.spycatcheronline.co.uk/tw...ght-p-443.html and use it to write further notes and diagrams across the label aswell. These will be invisible until you discreetly shine the uv light on them, they can also be written on your hands/arm and if you're lucky on every single desk in the exam room prior to your test.
    Certain propelling pencils can also be cleverly modified to contain up to 4 pages of text in a roll that the propelling mechanism allows you to scroll through and view through a transparent window in the side of the pencil.
    Remember too that teachers are extremely vulnerable to blackmail AND that you are allowed toilet breaks in any exam. If you can determine which toilet will be used you can prevent the cistern from filling with water and put text books and notes in there althought this method is quite risky as accessing the cistern can make noise that draws attention to you, also toilets found not to be functioning may be inspected by the janitor, as such you should also check the external rear base of the toilet bowl itself as there is often a large hollow section to be found here that can be used for storage.
    combining these and other techniques guarantees A* marks every time.
    Of course you are ****** if you're planning on doing a course afterwards that requires you to actually know any of the **** you've supposedly studied BUT
    A - you can cross that bridge when you come to it, it's never impossible to cheat ever.
    B - do something after school that you just need exam results for rather than practical knowledge of the subjects.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.