The Student Room Group

TOK IB november 2010/may 2011

I couldnt find a thread for next years TOK students so i decided i'd make one :smile:

I am also in need of desperate help, I know that the submission date is still ages away but i'd like to get the majority of the essay done a long time before.

So, the topic i have chosen is number 9 which is "discuss the roles of language and reason in history".

I am very familiar with all the WOKS and terminology etc.

just wondering how i am actually supposed to write the essay? is it the usual 3 point/ argument sort of essay? i hv some ideas but they are quite vague and somewhat insufficient. please help! :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That is because ToK is quite vague and somewhat insufficient. Don't beat yourself up over it.
So, the topic i have chosen is number 9 which is "discuss the roles of language and reason in history".

just wondering how i am actually supposed to write the essay? is it the usual 3 point/ argument sort of essay? i hv some ideas but they are quite vague and somewhat insufficient. please help!

DAMNNNN...Already preparing? I submitted mine on December 18th (I'm a may 2010 candidate), so you are freeeaking me out. But hey, it's commendable.

For this question, I would suggest firstly breaking it down. Define the following terms for yourself: language, reason, history. Write a thesis for the role of language in history and one for the role of reason in history. These, put together, are the strict backbones of your essay. Every single sentence mut directly follow them.
You're going to want to have a Knowledge Issue for both too, one each. Followed by an example for each - remember that they want proof of your own thought and Knower's Perspective. In general, a rule I suggested to most people I helped out for the ThOK essay was to have a KI and KPExample for each subtopic of their question (you have two - language and reason, I had three - Mathematics, The Arts and Ethics (one of the May 2010 Qs)) plus one extra global KI.
Remember that it can also be good to provide a counter-argument. Eg, if you're arguing that reason has no play in history, you're going to want to provide a possible alternative view, and refute it to show that your view is "more valid" - though there is no "correct" or "perfect" answer in ThOK, ofc.
Generally, you should find that it will naturally divide itself.
You'll have your general argument and counter-argument in one paragraph, with your example in another. The KI should be present across both - it arises as a continuation of your argument.

What else...hmmm.

Some questions to think about:
How are reason and language similar/different?
Is history invented or does it just happen?
How do the roles of reason and language change depending on whether you're looking at their past impact or their present role?

Feel free to ask more Qs if you want. I don't mind ThOK. Message me/e-mail me or jsut ask here, whichever.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
For Friday I have to write the first TOK essay, we get 3 practice essays and eventually have to fix one up for the final IB thing.. but I'm having issues coming up with material.

The questions I'm thinking of doing are:

6. "There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false". Discuss this claim.

7. How can we recognize when we have made progress in the search for knowledge? Consider two contrasting areas of knowledge.

9. Discuss the roles of language and reason in history.

At the moment i'm doing number 6, so if you have any ideas of what types of things I could discuss in the essay, all the help would be amazing!
Reply 4
do you think question number one (consider the extent to which knowledge issues in ethics are similiar to those in at least one other area of knowledge) would be an easy one to do? i have to choose the topic this friday and i have no idea which one i should do
Reply 5
Hi :smile:
Well make sure you identify a main Knowledge Issue and I'd recommend to have a second one linked to your main one.
Remember, that the center of TOK is THE KNOWER - in other words, YOU. YOUR perspective. Have very interesting examples to support your ideas; another hint - don't use common examples that many people will end up using. Do some research and find an interesting little fact you can discuss and use in order to support your ideas. Then make a link from this to your experiences.
For example, my TOK topic was "To what extent is truth different in math, the arts, and ethics?" I defined truth (using my OWN definition of truth.. DON'T use a dictionary definition) and then investigated all the different examples supporting the idea that each of these things have truth. For math, I stated that since I have a math learning disability, I did not believe math can be considered a universal truth, since not everyone can understand it.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you should have fun with the essay, relate it to your own life, and make sure you use interesting examples! :smile:
kuntimagee
That is because ToK is quite vague and somewhat insufficient. Don't beat yourself up over it.

hahaha couldn't have put it better :wink:
I'm probably too late in replying to this thread since TOK essays have to be submitted already (I think? for my year anyway). But don't worry too much - I got B and Cs for TOK all the time, never got an A, but got 19/20 for the presentation by bullsh*tting the whole way through :biggrin: I'm hoping that the same can be applied to the essay hehe

"There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false". Discuss this claim.

Hmm. Define what is meant by "true" and "false". Some ideas: (probably crappy anyway but yea :p: )
True: justified, coherent, always works, beauty (for some reason my TOK teacher said truth is beautiful - I'm not saying that I agree with it but there you go :smile: )
False: reached by faulty reasoning; does not work;

BUT sometimes what is true in some true in a situation is false in others. It may al depend on the circumstances. The example that I can think of is Pythagoras' theorem: a^2 + b^2 = c^2 . But if I remember right, that only works for a flat surface; if you draw a triangle on a sphere that's not going to work.
yea I can't think of much more :/ TOK's never been my strength. But I hope I've kind of helped you out there :biggrin: remember to include some real life examples
Hmmmm. I'm quite intrigued to know the topics for the May 20100 session, it's good to see at least some of the ones above.

General comments/suggestion/rules for ThOK:

a) THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER. This means quite simply that you shouldn't get too upset if you don't have the same view as someone else, if everyone disagrees, or if you feel like your answer isn't "good".
b) Support support support. Examples examples examples. Argue argue argue. Don't take anything for granted, and don't make any statements that are not supportable. The examiner is interested in knowing not just what you're saying but more importantly, why you're saying it. So make sure that's really clear.
c) Construct and deconstruct. Pull your argument apart when reading it, and see if it fits back together again.
d) This is a bit of a corollary to (a) - if there is no right answer, YOU are not necessarily right. Simply, you have what you believe is the most valid answer. Okay. That's fine. However, why might you be wrong? Refute your claims - if this is done properly, it doesn't undermine your argument, but shows that you consider alternatives and can analyse them. Be sure to then show how your claims and arguments are better than the counter-arguments. Refute your arguments, then refute the refutations. Show that your answer works.
e) Knower's Perspective - you're a wonderful person dear, really you are. You have lots of experiences that define you. Sooo...USE THEM. Show how your personal experiences have links to your question. Don't just use rote examples, use ones that smack of personality and show that you have given the matter some thought.

Allow me to share my trials and tribulations with the ThOK essay...

I wrote an essay that I thought was pretty good, handed it in as my first draft, and sat back and waited. I got it back covered in pencil scribbles from my teacher. As we looked over it, she came to one paragraph and said (this is a direct quote): "I have a PhD in pragmatism and philosophical theory, and your argument doesn't make sense." and slashed right through the said paragraph with red pen. I died a bit inside.

I took the essay back and forgot about it until two weeks before it was due. At that point, I took out white paper, wrote down the title and deconstructed it entirely. I planned out what my thesis was going to be. And I wrote a structure for the essay - what I was going to put in each paragraph, what my KP and example was going to be, what my KIs were. In fact, I had a whole separate sheet of paper for Knowledge Issues...I just wrote them all out as I thought of them, and then narrowed down from 11 assorted ones to 6 strong ones, to 4 very strong ones that I used in the essay.
And then I left the paper, and only attacked the essay three days before it was due, when I effectively rewrote the whole essay. I didn't sleep that night. Or the night right before it was due.

Basically, even for those who are confident writers and get strong marks in language classes (I get 7s in English and French A High), the essay can be a challenge. On the flip side, it may also be very easy for you. It really depends on your writing style, way of thinking and approaching the question and of course, on the question to some extent. Don't get discouraged - you can do it!

If you have any questions/want some advice or some tips on how to start, let me know. PM me or something. :smile:
Reply 8
Could someone recommend me a good book (and please not a huge one) to give me at least some idea about the subject? We've only had 5 or 6 lessons of TOK since the beginning of the course and we covered literally nothing. Now I have to write an essay but have no idea what to write about.

Thanks
Reply 9
so i've decided on doing question number 10 now, and i need help on what is meant by the term 'model' on the question "A model is a simplified representation of some aspect of the world. In what ways may models help or hinder the search for knowledge?"

i thought it meant models as in the world globe or map, etc. because they are simplified representations of the world, but my TOK teacher told me otherwise but his explanations are still quite vague to me.

can anyone here help me with this? thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 10
i took the same topic, and i'm done with the roles of language in history but i have problems in expressing the role of reason in history and if you me want to help you on yours just ask :wink:
Accidentallylost

just wondering how i am actually supposed to write the essay? is it the usual 3 point/ argument sort of essay? i hv some ideas but they are quite vague and somewhat insufficient. please help!

DAMNNNN...Already preparing? I submitted mine on December 18th (I'm a may 2010 candidate), so you are freeeaking me out. But hey, it's commendable.

For this question, I would suggest firstly breaking it down. Define the following terms for yourself: language, reason, history. Write a thesis for the role of language in history and one for the role of reason in history. These, put together, are the strict backbones of your essay. Every single sentence mut directly follow them.
You're going to want to have a Knowledge Issue for both too, one each. Followed by an example for each - remember that they want proof of your own thought and Knower's Perspective. In general, a rule I suggested to most people I helped out for the ThOK essay was to have a KI and KPExample for each subtopic of their question (you have two - language and reason, I had three - Mathematics, The Arts and Ethics (one of the May 2010 Qs)) plus one extra global KI.
Remember that it can also be good to provide a counter-argument. Eg, if you're arguing that reason has no play in history, you're going to want to provide a possible alternative view, and refute it to show that your view is "more valid" - though there is no "correct" or "perfect" answer in ThOK, ofc.
Generally, you should find that it will naturally divide itself.
You'll have your general argument and counter-argument in one paragraph, with your example in another. The KI should be present across both - it arises as a continuation of your argument.

What else...hmmm.

Some questions to think about:
How are reason and language similar/different?
Is history invented or does it just happen?
How do the roles of reason and language change depending on whether you're looking at their past impact or their present role?

Feel free to ask more Qs if you want. I don't mind ThOK. Message me/e-mail me or jsut ask here, whichever.

Good luck! :smile:

hey there. I was just wondering. How did you do the May 2011 TOK questions if you finish IB in 2010? Are you allowed to do that?
i neeed help in the introduction for topic 9. Discuss the roles of language and reason in history.

i don't kow how to begin. i mean i know i have to define all the terms but i don't know how to start this essays. Please pleasee help mee
I dont know if you guys also have this...but the teacher gave us a guide "TOK essay stimulus package for Nov 2010".

and for each question they gave us like guidelines - how to tackle the question. I chose question 9: Discuss the roles of language and reason in history.

but i did what the guide says, and my teacher said my introduction is not good. i was confused because i did exactly what the guide says.

so can anyone help me with the introduction at least please? i would really appreciate:smile:

please reply asap because my essay is due for end of August :frown:
If any of you need exemplar essays, I have my ToK essay that received an A from IBO. Just send me a PM.
angiepangie
I dont know if you guys also have this...but the teacher gave us a guide "TOK essay stimulus package for Nov 2010".

and for each question they gave us like guidelines - how to tackle the question. I chose question 9: Discuss the roles of language and reason in history.

but i did what the guide says, and my teacher said my introduction is not good. i was confused because i did exactly what the guide says.

so can anyone help me with the introduction at least please? i would really appreciate:smile:

please reply asap because my essay is due for end of August :frown:

I have never heard about that? Wow, if you get it consider yourself v. lucky!

Anyway, I'm posting my essay. I got 32/40 (A) for it. I personally think the essay is pretty shoddy, but it got me the grade! They love philosophical approaches to the essay, with ridiculously "personal" examples. And question everything lol.
hey guys whats are the knowledge issuues in LANGUAGE AND REASON
i amdoing question 9 discuss the roles of language and reason in history

THANKS SO MUCH
Reply 17
Could anyone post all the questions because i seem to have misplaced mine... :biggrin: thx
Reply 18
Hey Everyone,

This is my school's first year doing this IB (Nov 2010 Exams) and I'm freaking out that my TOK Essay isn't any good. I would LOVE if someone could look at it and give me some feedback?

My question is concerning Picasso's claim "that art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth"
Reply 19
I'm doing the one about 'art is a lie that brings us closer to the truth'. I love looking at aesthetics, namely music :smile:

The really easy way to write a good ToK essay is read some Philosophy books (before you choose/buy them make sure they're relevant and not too detailed for what you need, if you can just buy overview/introduction type books) relevant to your question. If will unquestionably get you thinking on the right track, and give you some material to put straight into your essay (as long as you put it in your own words, apply it to the essay title, etc).

LauraBear
Hey Everyone,

This is my school's first year doing this IB (Nov 2010 Exams) and I'm freaking out that my TOK Essay isn't any good. I would LOVE if someone could look at it and give me some feedback?

My question is concerning Picasso's claim "that art is a lie that brings us nearer to the truth"

Really quick feedback:

- It doesn't seem you paid close enough attention to the second sentence of the title, in the first half of the essay. 'in relation to a specific art form' - you talk about 'Art' generally, not visual arts, music or theatre specifically.

- 'Art is an extremely subjective area of knowledge' - this sentence says all kinds of things and has a bit too many connotations. I know Art is an official ToK 'area of knowledge' but I would rephrase it to (as you wrote later): 'Art is incredibly subjective',

- 'Surrealism is also an art movement that does not depict reality' - this is a bit too general for an introductory sentence (of a paragraph). If think you want something else to introduce it, have your analysis (which is very good), then conclude with what the sentence I quoted.

- I don't think you explained the 'elements and principles' part clearly enough/enough, I wasn't very sure what it meant at the end

- Careful with inconsistencies with capitals, ('Areas of Knowledge'/'area of knowledge')

Generally it's very good, most of the content is fine. Just have a go at another redraft.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending