Turn on thread page Beta

Bye-bye Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate? watch

ReputationRep:
    Cadbury is to be taken over by the American food company Kraft after its board approved a new increased bid, the BBC has learned.
    The Cadbury board will advise its shareholders to accept a new offer of 840 pence a share - valuing the company at £11.5bn.

One of Britain's oldest companies has been lost to the Americans...

[Mods I tried to put this in the correct forum, but it wouldn't let me]

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how much about the company will change...

If they change the fruit and nut combination I shall be severely displeased.

ReputationRep:
    Great shame. Is there actually anything of note that is British owned anymore?!

What are the risks of them shutting down production in the UK to cut costs?

What if they change the recipe to cut costs? Will we end up with chocolate that tastes as bad as most American chocolate?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, baby.

Mac and cheese.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man I can't wait! Instead of putting caramel inside chocolate they can use processed cheese. I'd buy that!

Cheesy Cremeegg :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully American by ownership only. I can see them cost cutting though and mass producing using the suppliers in their main company.

ReputationRep:
    Will they keep Cadbury's ethical side?
    Although I don't think they're as ethical as they once were, they could still get worse...

ReputationRep:
    LOL makes business unit 4 abit more harder...

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why they would ever sell such a company.. To me, it's priceless. The owners would have already had enough money to do whatever they wanted in life, so why do they need another £11.5bn?

To me, owning one of the most respected British companies would be worth more. They've upset a lot of the British people.

ReputationRep:
    Goddamnit...I was hoping Nestlé or someone would take over. Americans? If they affect the chocolate in any way...

ReputationRep:
    Meh - globalisation is bilateral. BAe has already taken over several major, very old US defence contractors and is looking to buy more. HSBC and Barclay's own most of Wall Street.

For every "British company" that gets taken over, we take over a foreign company somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Well, why don't we just rent out Buckingham Palace? We've sold everything else off. I guarantee five years from now Cadbury's will have only have the workforce they've got now and they'll be making some tasteless pseudo-American pap.

ReputationRep:
    Aphotic: I thought HSBC was the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation ie not British?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsholmmad)
    Aphotic: I thought HSBC was the Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation ie not British?
    Names can be deceptive. It was set up when Hong Kong was a British colony, and founded by a Brit. It's global headquarters are in the UK, and it's registered as a British company.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** are they selling out to the Americans? They make considerable profit. Greedy ******* shareholders.

ReputationRep:
    :nopity: So what? Thats economic globalisation brah!

ReputationRep:
    lol @ patriotism over a buckin chocolate company

ReputationRep:
    I prefer all the new little independent chocolate brands anyway. Big slabs of Cadburys don't do it for me anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, it's only (almost) 4am here in Chicago, but I just got texted this by a friend in the UK and I had to wake up and investigate.

I am really disappointed about this, I really am, I wanted Cadbury kept British. It's one of those iconic British brands.

Also, they'd better not change the Cadbury recipe to the one they use here in the US, because Cadbury chocolate in the US is NOT the same as Cadbury chocolate in the UK. They had to change the recipe, as the British milk chocolate (i.e. Dairy Milk) didn't go down well with American tastes. You can get PROPER Cadbury chocolate in shops that sell British foods, so that's been my one saving grace.

The US 'Cadbury' chocolate is vile. I'm sure they won't change it, but knowing Kraft, you never know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Great shame. Is there actually anything of note that is British owned anymore?!

What are the risks of them shutting down production in the UK to cut costs?

What if they change the recipe to cut costs? Will we end up with chocolate that tastes as bad as most American chocolate?
    Fail.

What does 'British Owned' mean? do you own shares? If not then your helping Jonny foriegner buy up UK based firms...

Vodafone, Rio Tinto, BP/Shell, HSBC, GSK... theres a starting list

Krafts chocolate base is in Berlin and most of its chocolate empire is european. Are you saying Terrys Chocolate Oranges and Tobleraone taste bad?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.