Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bye-bye Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Also, they'd better not change the Cadbury recipe to the one they use here in the US, because Cadbury chocolate in the US is NOT the same as Cadbury chocolate in the UK. They had to change the recipe, as the British milk chocolate (i.e. Dairy Milk) didn't go down well with American tastes. You can get PROPER Cadbury chocolate in shops that sell British foods, so that's been my one saving grace.

The US 'Cadbury' chocolate is vile. I'm sure they won't change it, but knowing Kraft, you never know.
    You've just explained why they won't...
    Cadbury is the one making sucky US chocolate and that'll continue because its what the US market wants. Kraft makes different coffee for different countries and chocolate is just the same.

I'm not bothered about the company being taken over by the Americans, seeing as it would save the company. But if they even think of changing the chocolate recipe...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    Why the **** are they selling out to the Americans? They make considerable profit. Greedy ******* shareholders.
    Yes....
    Being a shareholder isn't usually for alturism.

If you care so much why don't you vote against the take over?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If they changed the recipe, there would be mass protest outside the factory (I'd be there!), and I think the workers would strike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes....
    Being a shareholder isn't usually for alturism.

If you care so much why don't you vote against the take over?
    I never said it was but I think we've lost our self-respect selling out to the yanks. The shareholders were already making money yet they want more and the cost is massive job losses and the loss of a British institution.

I'm not a shareholder but if I was I wouldn't sell out.

ReputationRep:
    Is the take-over by Kraft the culinary equivalent of the Gklazer's take-over of Man. Utd?

American chocolate is sickly gunk compared to Cadburys (IMO).

Does this mean America is in for a huge treat, or are Marks & Spencer going to see a huge increase in demand for their Belgian chocolate, which is the nearest thing to Cadburys Dairy Milk

ReputationRep:
    Maybe kraft made an offer they couldn't refuse.

ReputationRep:
    American Chocolate is gunk? Ever had Hershey before?

ReputationRep:
    cadburies chocolate is way over priced as it is...

When i was a lad... chocolate bars were like 20-30p and the ethical fair trade stuff was like super expensive...
    now?
    well the apparent mass produced semi ethical chocolate made by global companies are more like 60p a bar, which in some shops is more than fair trade...

but on the taste argument... what about galaxy? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I have!

It's horrible compared to Dairy Milk imo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilkos_Ices)
    I have!

It's horrible compared to Dairy Milk imo...
    One being better than the other in your opinion doesn't make the sweets and chocolate of that nation "gunk" though.

I think Hershey is nice, but I don't prefer one over the other.
    Either way it's all going to be eaten and I am generally a chocolate fan.

ReputationRep:
    Hersheys isn't even chocolate, it's chocolate FLAVOURED.

So yes, Hersheys is gunk.

ReputationRep:
    I love Cadbury's chocolates! Especially Dairy Milk and Crunchie. Cadbury's chocolate has a distinct taste to it, and there'll be many unhappy people if they decide to change the recipe to "cut costs".

ReputationRep:
    as long as they keep cadbury world open and don't change cadbury's chocolate, meh.

ReputationRep:
    One being better than the other in your opinion doesn't make the sweets and chocolate of that nation "gunk" though.
    I am outraged by him calling American chocolate "gunk" too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbontnewydd)
    I love Cadbury's chocolates! Especially Dairy Milk and Crunchie. Cadbury's chocolate has a distinct taste to it, and there'll be many unhappy people if they decide to change the recipe to "cut costs".
    Which they will seeming they're borrowing $7bn for the takeover, and will need to get the money back somehow...It's either bye-bye jobs, or bye-bye chocolate with flavour.

ReputationRep:
    I"m hoping that they will keep the recipe and all the Cadbury brands as they are . Does this takeover mean the end of the name "Cadbury" on the wrapper?.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember that its Kraft who are taking them over - Kraft owns Terrys (of chocolate orange fame) and Milka, both of which are nothing like Hershey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I"m hoping that they will keep the recipe and all the Cadbury brands as they are . Does this takeover mean the end of the name "Cadbury" on the wrapper?.
    No but it means they are free to change whatever they want to. Ingredients, amount of cocoa solids etc.

Cadburys will probably stop being fairtrade now as well, so Kraft save money.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will change. They will lose customer loyalty if they fiddle around with things.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.