Turn on thread page Beta

Bye-bye Cadburys Dairy Milk chocolate? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think kraft intend to make all chocolate taste american. Nobody here would buy it. They'll keep the recipe and you'll never even suspect who pulls the stings...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SonnyJim)
    Which they will seeming they're borrowing $7bn for the takeover, and will need to get the money back somehow...It's either bye-bye jobs, or bye-bye chocolate with flavour.
    I think it'll be the bye-bye jobs option.

I don't think they'll mess with recipes in an effort to cut costs, they'll just streamline the business. Cadbury will still be on the wrapper, they'd be completely crazy to get rid of the name, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Dairy Milk isn't all that anyway. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Is the take-over by Kraft the culinary equivalent of the Gklazer's take-over of Man. Utd?

American chocolate is sickly gunk compared to Cadburys (IMO).

Does this mean America is in for a huge treat, or are Marks & Spencer going to see a huge increase in demand for their Belgian chocolate, which is the nearest thing to Cadburys Dairy Milk
    Cadbury-Schweppes being taken over by Kraft isn't going to mean the end to Cadbury brands, nor does it mean that the recipe and taste of Cadbury chocolates are going to change... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOO :bawling: This is so bad. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    They better keep it the same, although having nicer choclate than the Americans was about the only thing better about us than them! Now they have the good chocolate too! lol

I have family in America and Canada and whenever i visit, i bring cadburys chocolate. Their American friends who have never had it from England couldn't believe how much nicer it was, and are always trying to get me to send them more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I am outraged by him calling American chocolate "gunk" too.
    If I were you I would write him a stern letter!

(Original post by Jonesy09)
    Hersheys isn't even chocolate, it's chocolate FLAVOURED.

So yes, Hersheys is gunk.
    Hershey Bar Wiki page

It is chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesy09)
    Hersheys isn't even chocolate, it's chocolate FLAVOURED.

So yes, Hersheys is gunk.
    Have you even seen the ingredients on a bar of dairy milk?

There's so little chocolate in it that Italy and Spain banned it because it wasn't legally chocolate under trade laws in those countries [until the European courts overturned the bans in 2003], whilst the European Trade Commission tried to get it renamed for the same reason.

Kraft can't do much worse than that.

I don't see why they'd change it? They already have UK brands which work really well, Toblerone, Terry's Chocolate Orange and Kenco Coffee and tbh all of them are a bit more premium than our current Cadburys. Their american brands don't seem to include anything like Hersheys or Reeses either.

http://www.kraftfoods.co.uk/kraft/pa...ef=420&Mid=420
    http://www.kraftfoodscompany.com/Bra...ges/index.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Whoever takes over Cadbury isn't going to change the taste of the chocolate, but Kraft is the worst possible buyer from a jobs point of view. I'm almost certain it'll be looking to cut jobs in the UK with the eventual view of completely moving production abroad. It would be a dark day for the brand if that were to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Dairy Milk isn't all that anyway. :no:
    :yep:
    Green & Blacks all the way.

ReputationRep:
    pfft who cares I haven't bought cadbury's in ages, I only buy Lindt or Green & Blacks

ReputationRep:
    CADBUUUUUURRRYY :yum:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    I never said it was but I think we've lost our self-respect selling out to the yanks. The shareholders were already making money yet they want more and the cost is massive job losses and the loss of a British institution.

I'm not a shareholder but if I was I wouldn't sell out.
    For a start they haven't sold out yet, its not even been voted on. But yes the pension funds will probably accept the boards recommendation.

There won't be large scale job losses, manufacturing will stay where it is and who knows, R&D might consolidate to Bournville rather than Berlin, or they might keep both R&D centres. Some accountancy jobs will go though.

Cadbury really sold out when they moved to American management in the 80s. Are you really saying being owned by a single US firm is all that much worse than millions of amorphouse UK/US/International finance groups

ReputationRep:
    Hershey chocolate is horrible

ReputationRep:
    ...but galaxy's the bestest chocolate!

ReputationRep:
    lindt is better
    milka and galaxy better for milk/white chocolate fiends
    hehe chill out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    If they changed the recipe, there would be mass protest outside the factory (I'd be there!), and I think the workers would strike.
    lolz that single recipe that exisits? That one? Why would they change the UK recipe since it won't be to our tastes? Or woud you be equally annoyed if they changed the Indonesian recipe so it harmonised with the Australian one?

You seem to think Cadbury is a homely firm (that it was prior to the 80s), the staff wont strike unless they pay/conditions worsens. Why would they give up even a days pay to stand in the cold because the coco beans will now be sourced from the same supplier as Kraft get for Chocolate Oranges?

ReputationRep:
    As long as they don't change the taste or make it more expensive, I'm alright with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leeming)
    cadburies chocolate is way over priced as it is...

When i was a lad... chocolate bars were like 20-30p and the ethical fair trade stuff was like super expensive...
    now?
    well the apparent mass produced semi ethical chocolate made by global companies are more like 60p a bar, which in some shops is more than fair trade...

but on the taste argument... what about galaxy? :P
    Galaxy for the win for plain chocolate, Cadbury wins on fruit and nut

The small bars are extortionate, the 230g ones are where its at, can still occationally be had for £1.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.