Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Is the take-over by Kraft the culinary equivalent of the Gklazer's take-over of Man. Utd?

American chocolate is sickly gunk compared to Cadburys (IMO).

Does this mean America is in for a huge treat, or are Marks & Spencer going to see a huge increase in demand for their Belgian chocolate, which is the nearest thing to Cadburys Dairy Milk
    Blasphemy!! (lol)
    Be quiet. American chocolate is amazing.
    hersheys? American M&M'S? <<< Good god :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they'll change the recipe. I've tried Hershey's chocolate and I didn't finish the bar, it was so horrible. And nothing else tastes quite like Cadbury's. It is the ultimate comfort chocolate. And I really don't like Galaxy much at all.

They'd best not stop it being fairtrade too...

ReputationRep:
    Cadbury's chocolate tastes different in every country and well I think they are gong to make cadbury's "Gunk" to the same standard as american crap! as well as that Kraft probably don't realise why we eat and choose Dairy Milk; because the flavour is unique and when they change that they will lose out!

ReputationRep:
    Some hershy varieties are disgusting and plain :yucky: The chocolate bar, when i tried it just tasted like nothing.

But kraft own milka and terrys, and they're a lot better, so i'm happy about this!

ReputationRep:
    they use different recepies for chocolate for different countries anyway,so we'd probably get the same dairy milk as always and the americans would get chocolate that tastes more like kraft chocolate.
    doon't paannniiiccc guuyyyss.

ReputationRep:
    American chocolate is disgusting because they subsidise low quality sugar. Since we don't do that, there's no reason to change the recipe unless they move the factory to America for some reason. I'm not sure why they'd risk a New Coke style disaster, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    American Chocolate is gunk? Ever had Hershey before?
    Ever had a Tolberone or Terrys Chocolate Orange?

ReputationRep:
    American Chocolate is gunk? Ever had Hershey before?
    Hershey is disgusting! I actually had to spit it out! Then again, Cadbury's isn't that great really. Galaxy all the way

Will the Chocolate Factory in Birmingham still be open for people to visit and stuff? My mum always promised to take me and never did and I was excited about going to Birmingham University to eventually be able to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Is the take-over by Kraft the culinary equivalent of the Gklazer's take-over of Man. Utd?

Does this mean America is in for a huge treat, or are Marks & Spencer going to see a huge increase in demand for their Belgian chocolate, which is the nearest thing to Cadburys Dairy Milk
    Its not, Kraft and Cadbury are cashcows, far more secure than the Man U take over.

Yes it is.

No, America will continue to use the US recipe for Cadburys, the UK will use the UK version.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Ever had a Tolberone or Terrys Chocolate Orange?
    Er yes. So whats your point?

(Original post by moomin_love)
    Hershey is disgusting! I actually had to spit it out! Then again, Cadbury's isn't that great really. Galaxy all the way
    I love Hershey. Then again I love Galaxy.

But which is better?

There's only one way to find out......

Fight!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Whoever takes over Cadbury isn't going to change the taste of the chocolate, but Kraft is the worst possible buyer from a jobs point of view. I'm almost certain it'll be looking to cut jobs in the UK with the eventual view of completely moving production abroad. It would be a dark day for the brand if that were to happen.
    Really? I'd say Nestle would have been worse. Kraft might consolidate chocolate R&D to the UK rather than Berlin. The UK will be cheaper from a production point of view than the European factories, unless you think they would up sticks on all of it (from a business continuity risk point of view thats very difficult). Why would they move Cadbury when they aren't moving the Soluble Coffee plant in Banbury?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think the problem will be less the risk of loosing or changing the Cadbury products, but more the transfer of Cadbury's production away from the UK in the long run to reduce costs.

ReputationRep:
    Er yes. So whats your point?
    Kraft makes those and they are often seen as high quality chocolate.

- Edit, didn't realise you actually like Hersley, personally I'm with the OP, its gunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)

Dairy Milk is one of the most powerful brands in the UK. No firm - American or otherwise - is going to buy Cadbury for 12 billion and cut off it's head. What may change is where it is made, but I doubt the Dairy Milk product will dissappear.

Would you buy Apple and stop making iPods? Or Kellog's and stop making Corn Flakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Kraft makes those and they are often seen as high quality chocolate.
    Woop-de-doo.

However unless they are American then it's irrelevant.

The OP say American chocolate is gunk, I disagreed because I like Hershey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    I think the problem will be less the risk of loosing or changing the Cadbury products, but more the transfer of Cadbury's production away from the UK in the long run to reduce costs.
    Operationally that'd be a nightmare, and Kraft haven't got consolidated operations in chocolate or coffee, why would they start now? Are you suggesting they'd close their Berlin base and the proposed Bournville one? If not why would they close the UK one on the basis of cost?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't be a loss, Dairy Milk ain't a patch on Galaxy anyway :ahee: Which, in turn, isn't a patch on Lindt..

Gotta say, Hershey's chocolate is fairly grim for the most part, but their Reeses peanut butter cups are GLORIOUS. I am salivating excessively at the mere thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonesy09)
    Cadburys will probably stop being fairtrade now as well, so Kraft save money.
    Yeah, it'll probs go 'rainforrest alliance' :P

ReputationRep:
    This thread is making me hungry :yum:

I dislike hershey's though, simply because it is made with sour milk. I will still continue to buy the chocolate I like regardless of brand. Well, unless the Americans **** about, then I am willing to Boycott their chocolate out of principle.

Galaxy FTW!

ReputationRep:
    Hersheys is gunk. As is Cadburys Dairy Milk choc. Both have fail aftertastes.

As long as Galaxy never goes out of production, I'm happy

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.