Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, long time no write etc...

Anyway, I have two questions.

1. I will be leaving college in June and starting uni in September. Those who know maths will know this is three months. I was wondering if, even though I'll have a student bank account, I'll be able to claim JSA while I look for a job?

2. Which are some good student accounts with decent overdraft?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You can't go on JSA if you are going to uni sorry.

I use hbos who are pretty good. Avoid RBS though they are terrible.

For HBOS you can get 1,250 overdraft and don't have to pay it pay until 1 year after graduation.

ReputationRep:
    Those people who invented Job centre really are a bunch of inconsiderate ahems aren't they?

That HBOS sounds decent. Do you know the interest rates?

Edit: Do you know of any other benefits I am allowed to apply for for the three months? Or does my ALG continue through that time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Those people who invented Job centre really are a bunch of inconsiderate ahems aren't they?

That HBOS sounds decent. Do you know the interest rates?
    Yeh they are and by the time you even tried to get through the process you would be at uni. It is worth a shot trying to get it though.

There is no interest on their student current accounts until 1 year after you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go there later today. Last time I was on JSA it took 2 weeks to get sorted. They just come across as a greedy load with no consideration.

I haven't got a job right now, despite my trying and, to state the obvious, I'm going to have no income for three months. Unless I use my ISA.

Rantish blabble over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)
    Actually, you can.

ReputationRep:
    I think what I'll do is sign on when college finishes and just not use the work university or Access in my application.

ReputationRep:
    Student bank account didn't make a difference for my claim, but I had already been to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Actually, you can.
    The require you to be actively seeking employment of more than 15 hours per week. If you are going to uni then how does this work?

ReputationRep:
    The require you to be actively seeking employment of more than 15 hours per week. If you are going to uni then how does this work?
    Becaus many people work in between finishing college and going to uni. I was able to claim with no problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Becaus many people work in between finishing college and going to uni. I was able to claim with no problems.
    This.

I plan to being searching for a job to get a bit of extra money in my back pocket, even if it's a little bit. Better than sitting around all day annoying my mum. Though the option of doing this with a guitar included does seem rather appealing.

ReputationRep:

I use hbos who are pretty good. Avoid RBS though they are terrible.

For HBOS you can get 1,250 overdraft and don't have to pay it pay until 1 year after graduation.
    I second the judgement on RBS - three years of complete incompetence, it took them two years to put my address change on the system - they were however very prompt when in came to me incurring charges for going over my overdraft etc.

I've got a graduate account with Lloyds, that pretty good so far, and i've heard good things about HBOS.

Don't be lured by the free gimmicks on student accounts, unless they are actually good offers. If you are gonna be leaving home to go to uni, a young persons rail card might be good, see if any of the banks offer that as a sweetner.

On the JSA - technically, i think your not allowed to recieve it, but, if you apply and play dumb, you might get a few months worth. However, at circa £40 a week, your probobly better off applying for a job, even a p/t one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    I second the judgement on RBS - three years of complete incompetence, it took them two years to put my address change on the system - they were however very prompt when in came to me incurring charges for going over my overdraft etc.

I've got a graduate account with Lloyds, that pretty good so far, and i've heard good things about HBOS.

Don't be lured by the free gimmicks on student accounts, unless they are actually good offers. If you are gonna be leaving home to go to uni, a young persons rail card might be good, see if any of the banks offer that as a sweetner.

On the JSA - technically, i think your not allowed to recieve it, but, if you apply and play dumb, you might get a few months worth. However, at circa £40 a week, your probobly better off applying for a job, even a p/t one.
    I attempted to go into close my RBS account after graduation as I had hardly used it throughout uni. They somehow convinced me to keep it open as a graduate account. Then I got letters stating my overdraft had to be paid back within 30 days or I would get a bad credit rating.

I of course didn't take kindly to their threats or incompetence, wrote a letter and got a 75 pound cheque. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I attempted to go into close my RBS account after graduation as I had hardly used it throughout uni. They somehow convinced me to keep it open as a graduate account. Then I got letters stating my overdraft had to be paid back within 30 days or I would get a bad credit rating.

I of course didn't take kindly to their threats or incompetence, wrote a letter and got a 75 pound cheque. :woo:
    Congrats on getting them to pay out. Every single person that i dealt with at RBS (and i don't mean to tarnish the reputation of all RBS employees, just EVERY SINGLE ON THAT I EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO DEAL WITH) was either incompetent, ignorant, or a pretty nasty combination of both.

Anyway, to the threadstarter - you may be able to get JSA, but if you want a few quid in your pocket when uni starts (and a bit of fun before then) try to get some work. Ideally, try to find a job that in some way relates to what you're gonna be studying at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Congrats on getting them to pay out. Every single person that i dealt with at RBS (and i don't mean to tarnish the reputation of all RBS employees, just EVERY SINGLE ON THAT I EVER HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO DEAL WITH) was either incompetent, ignorant, or a pretty nasty combination of both.

Anyway, to the threadstarter - you may be able to get JSA, but if you want a few quid in your pocket when uni starts (and a bit of fun before then) try to get some work. Ideally, try to find a job that in some way relates to what you're gonna be studying at Uni.
    I totally agree their employees are just downright vile. I think the threat of me suggesting I was going to tell every graduate I know how bad their service was made them pay up. However, this still won't stop me from letting everyone know how bad they are:o:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Or you could get a job instead of signing on ...? You'd earn a lot more PW.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree their employees are just downright vile. I think the threat of me suggesting I was going to tell every graduate I know how bad their service was made them pay up. However, this still won't stop me from letting everyone know how bad they are:o:
    I like your style:cool:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.