Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

When I breathe in, I feel pain in my upper back - in one spot. It feels like a bunch of daggers being pushed into my back. I only get this kind of pain in my lungs, I have asthma, and my asthma pump relieves the pain. My back also hurts when I move my shoulder blades and it hurts when i bend up after bending down (if that makes sense). I don't play sports, I haven't done any serious physical activity. My asthma pump does not relieve this pain. I have kind of severe hypermobility syndrome (double jointed) and I wonder if this has contributed to it? I already have an appointment with the doctor next Wednesday.

Does anyone know what this could be? I don't want to go into A & E etc because I have exams coming up i.e. tomorrow.

btw, I'm 17 so I doubt it's a heart attack.

ReputationRep:
    Just wait for the resident internet forum medic, no-one else is qualified.

but seriously go to a doctor- I'd diagnose that as cancer

(Original post by Yuppie20)
    Just wait for the resident internet forum medic, no-one else is qualified.
    I was wondering if anyone had this type of pain before.
    (Original post by loser)
    but seriously go to a doctor- I'd diagnose that as cancer
    just no.

ReputationRep:
    Grin and bear the pain, go to your GP after your exam.

ReputationRep:
    How long have you had the pain in your back?? I'd go to the doctors to get it checked out, as it must be related to your asthma, if having your puffer takes away the pain!!!

(Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Grin and bear the pain, go to your GP after your exam.
    Yeah, I'll try to. What are the odds that if I go to A & E, I'll have to stay there? I'm worried that my breathing will get even shallower, but I neeeed to go to my exam tomorrow.

I was just curious though. I've been having pain in my lower back too, basically my back is dead lol.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar sort of pain recently. I dont suffer from asthma and when i went to the doctor she told me it could be down to the fact that i slouch when sitting down, and obviously because of revision i was sitting for long periods of time and this was causing the pain.

hope that helps

(Original post by Coppy)
    How long have you had the pain in your back?? I'd go to the doctors to get it checked out, as it must be related to your asthma, if having your puffer takes away the pain!!!
    The puffer doesn't take away the pain. I've had the pain for about 3 days but it only got worse a few hours ago.

(Original post by Raja1988)
    I had a similar sort of pain recently. I dont suffer from asthma and when i went to the doctor she told me it could be down to the fact that i slouch when sitting down, and obviously because of revision i was sitting for long periods of time and this was causing the pain.

hope that helps
    Yeah, I thought that might be it. I've had two essay-ish exams last week and I just slouched while writing, I also think I slouch too much while revising. Do you think the pain will go away?

ReputationRep:
    If you go to A&E you will be waiting around for ages!! This will cut into your study time and drain you. They may just say its your asthma and (what Raja1988 said) a pain due to bad posture. Is it also likely that you may have pulled a muscle??

Your double jointedness may have put your shoulders out of whack while you were sleeping but it seems unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    I would go to the doctor, just to get it checked out! Not saying it will be a major problem, but it may be if you leave it any longer!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    When I breathe in, I feel pain in my upper back - in one spot. It feels like a bunch of daggers being pushed into my back. I only get this kind of pain in my lungs, I have asthma, and my asthma pump relieves the pain. My back also hurts when I move my shoulder blades and it hurts when i bend up after bending down (if that makes sense). I don't play sports, I haven't done any serious physical activity. My asthma pump does not relieve this pain. I have kind of severe hypermobility syndrome (double jointed) and I wonder if this has contributed to it? I already have an appointment with the doctor next Wednesday.

Does anyone know what this could be? I don't want to go into A & E etc because I have exams coming up i.e. tomorrow.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleurisy :dontknow: I assume it's that because I have the same pain and this vaguely describes it.

ReputationRep:
    I have Hypermobility Syndrome too I tend to find that I get that sort of pain too if I've been doing a lot of activities like carrying or moving things, or even if I've been stretching a bit too much, so it could be that it's just because of that.

If you're concerned though, definitely go and see your doctor(before next Wednesday if it's quite bad.) It's probably just HMS related, but if you're worried you should see someone who can probably diagnose the source of the pain (I'm only saying it could have been because of your HMS from personal experience, but there is a chance it could be something else.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.