Turn on thread page Beta

Litter Tax or Stealth Tax? watch

• View Poll Results: Stealth Tax or Not?
    Stealth Tax
    33.33%
    Not a Stealth Tax
    66.67%
    Don't Know
    0%
    Who Cares!!
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Whether these people are value for money or not, they'll need to do a review. It's quite possible we could save money by cutting down on the number of quango's and giving the extra work to the Civil Service. I'm not sure which is more cost-effective or efficient. Still we're definitely in agreement that the government is overly bureaucratic, but I say it's better than underbureaucratic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a Labourite either.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Komakino)
    Whether these people are value for money or not, they'll need to do a review. It's quite possible we could save money by cutting down on the number of quango's and giving the extra work to the Civil Service. I'm not sure which is more cost-effective or efficient. Still we're definitely in agreement that the government is overly bureaucratic, but I say it's better than underbureaucratic.
    Such jobs aren't created for the fun of it, you know, and doing such 'reviews' is a regular occurrence. Its not like the government has any motivation to increase bureaucracy without need, and people who call for 'less bureaucracy' always fail to give a single example of a job that could be cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Such jobs aren't created for the fun of it, you know, and doing such 'reviews' is a regular occurrence. Its not like the government has any motivation to increase bureaucracy without need, and people who call for 'less bureaucracy' always fail to give a single example of a job that could be cut.
    Well there's lots of ways to do things its not just down to need, they clearly choose to run the country that way because they feel its an effective way to run the country, some would argue against this. The country was not so overly bureaucratic before and there were pro's and cons to that approach just like there are now. There aren't regular full scale reviews, a full scale review would take a lot of time and effort to do. I don't pretend to know where they can cut down jobs, there are higher priorities for the government, but I do think the country is overly bureaucratized.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Komakino)
    Well there's lots of ways to do things its not just down to need, they clearly choose to run the country that way because they feel its an effective way to run the country, some would argue against this. The country was not so overly bureaucratic before and there were pro's and cons to that approach just like there are now. There aren't regular full scale reviews, a full scale review would take a lot of time and effort to do. I don't pretend to know where they can cut down jobs, there are higher priorities for the government, but I do think the country is overly bureaucratized.
    ok so you acknowledge that there are pros and cons, which is better than most people. I'm not really 'for' or 'against' bureaucracy - I just advocate the point that its not universally beneficial to reduce it (but not for the reason you stated earlier).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    ok so you acknowledge that there are pros and cons, which is better than most people. I'm not really 'for' or 'against' bureaucracy - I just advocate the point that its not universally beneficial to reduce it (but not for the reason you stated earlier).
    Fair enough.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.