Turn on thread page Beta

Job Interview Dilemma watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have just found out that I have an interview scheduled for next week for a graduate management job for a county council. Several problems:

They are not paying for my travel or accomodation and I started my new job three weeks ago so have not yet been paid. Hence, I can not afford to travel to England at such short notice. Which leads me to my other point that I started my new job less than three weeks ago and I don't think it will go down too well if I ask for two days off. Plus where do I say I am going?

The job I have the interview for is something I really want and they also provide the costs for an MSc. I feel this is an opportunity I can not let pass me by. Advice please?

ReputationRep:
    Well there is one simple answer to the getting time off, etc... Lie. Simple as that really, say that an uncle or something has been taken ill or whatever yarn you want to spin.

The other alternative is to ask them for the whole week off, not only will it let you prepare for the interview, but it can give you a good 'popping to see friends' excuse or something.

Either way, if they don't take the bait, then you'll need to contact whoever it is you have the interview with to let them know that you can't make it. The possibility of a job is no reason to throw an existing job away, well unless the exsiting job is particularly rubbish of course...

As to the money, if you can't borrow the cash from parents, relatives etc... Try asking your bank for a temporary overdraft, or overdraft extension. If its just a couple of hundred quid, most will do this unless your credit history is really, really bad...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.