Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It looks like I will be firming Bath for next year for Pol/IR.

1) Is it more likely than not that this will be salaried?

2) Do I still pay my tuition fees?

3) Can I decided where I do it? Or will I be limited by my department?

4) Is there any funding available from Bath to cover any extra costs such as accommodation during this year?

:jive: Thanks in advance :jive:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    It looks like I will be firming Bath for next year for Pol/IR.

1) Is it more likely than not that this will be salaried?

2) Do I still pay my tuition fees?

3) Can I decided where I do it? Or will I be limited by my department?

4) Is there any funding available from Bath to cover any extra costs such as accommodation during this year?

:jive: Thanks in advance :jive:
    I'm not at Bath but I am doing Year in Industry and Bath are a possible uni for me.

1) I get about £800 a month, and I'm only on £10,000 a year. Most are more than that (Up to £16,000).

2) Not if you're not at university... you will have to pay for your flat or wherever you live and general living expenses however, unless you can get a job close to home which is what I've done.

3) Your department will probably nudge in the direction of placements which are most relevant to your course. For example if you're doing Biochemistry, a placement with a pharmaceuticals company would be encouraged.

4) You will have to ask staff at the uni!

Good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eljamaispa)
    I'm not at Bath but I am doing Year in Industry and Bath are a possible uni for me.

1) I get about £800 a month, and I'm only on £10,000 a year. Most are more than that (Up to £16,000).

2) Not if you're not at university... you will have to pay for your flat or wherever you live and general living expenses however, unless you can get a job close to home which is what I've done.

3) Your department will probably nudge in the direction of placements which are most relevant to your course. For example if you're doing Biochemistry, a placement with a pharmaceuticals company would be encouraged.

4) You will have to ask staff at the uni!

Good luck with it.

Thanks! You applying for 2010 entry?
    For what subject? If you don't mind me asking.

See I'd love to do some kind of finance placement, but with Pol/IR (AAA) I doubt they'd let me go to a bank. However, I might swap to Pol/Economics (AAB) just so I can work in finance and for the obvious improvement in employability afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get fired from a placement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Can you get fired from a placement?
    Most certainly, you're on probation for 3 months usually, which is like a 1 strike and out system. I think then it follows normal disciplinary measures. That's what my best mate tells em anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)

See I'd love to do some kind of finance placement, but with Pol/IR (AAA) I doubt they'd let me go to a bank. However, I might swap to Pol/Economics (AAB) just so I can work in finance and for the obvious improvement in employability afterwards.
    Yes. Although I was on deferred entry before (so I could butter up my interviewers with 'I'm doing YinI'). I have applied for Natural Sciences.

I'm working with the local water board however and other than surveying some pump stations I'm not doing anything remotely scientific. However, I'm learning to do other things so I don't think it really matters. I'm sure it will for you though since you're already doing your subject.

We actually have another student in another department in Asset Management and he'll be doing some big projects soon involving redesigning one of their systems. Definitely worth giving YinI an email via their website and asking yourself.

ReputationRep:
    current first year but from the info i've received

1) all paid
    2) not sure but doubt it
    3) You decide what you do, can be as related or unrelated as you want (although what's the point in doing something unrelated)
    4) I don't think help is provided. You do get visits from personal tutor though to see how things are going (depending on where placement is eg if you're abroad, forget it :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    You're from Barry?!!?!?!

Barry Island?! From gavin and stacey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cfc1992)
    You're from Barry?!!?!?!

Barry Island?! From gavin and stacey?
    Yes yes. Although Barry isn't all like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)

I'm not at Bath but I am doing an industrial placement this year (start in July).

I'll be working in a business/consulting role for IBM. It's £18,000 pro rata (in London, £15,000 outside London, but my role is London-based) with a £2000 signing bonus (I think this is new though, all the existing placement students I spoke to got £1000 signing bonus), also you get 25 days paid holiday if you want it. Accenture (to whom I recently applied) offers £20,000 with no mention of a signing bonus thar I've seen.

At my university (UCL) I was allowed to apply for any related industry (i.e. anything remotely business-related) but I can't say what it will be like for your department.

As for funding, I don't know. I would assume probably not if it's a salaried role (you wouldn't need funding if you were paid like £15,000 or more tbh).

Sorry for randomly hi-jacking the thread, I'm trying to find other people who are doing a year in industry :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy)
    I'm not at Bath but I am doing an industrial placement this year (start in July).

I'll be working in a business/consulting role for IBM. It's £18,000 pro rata (in London, £15,000 outside London, but my role is London-based) with a £2000 signing bonus (I think this is new though, all the existing placement students I spoke to got £1000 signing bonus), also you get 25 days paid holiday if you want it. Accenture (to whom I recently applied) offers £20,000 with no mention of a signing bonus thar I've seen.

At my university (UCL) I was allowed to apply for any related industry (i.e. anything remotely business-related) but I can't say what it will be like for your department.

As for funding, I don't know. I would assume probably not if it's a salaried role (you wouldn't need funding if you were paid like £15,000 or more tbh).

Sorry for randomly hi-jacking the thread, I'm trying to find other people who are doing a year in industry :o:

appropriately I was at the open say today.
    Some dude is with UBS on 42k. I was like :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    appropriately I was at the open say today.
    Some dude is with UBS on 42k. I was like :zomg:
    WOW... hey i really wanted to go to the open day, but couldnt make it(( can u tell me your impressions (some info about placements?)) thankss !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxalana)
    WOW... hey i really wanted to go to the open day, but couldnt make it(( can u tell me your impressions (some info about placements?)) thankss !
    Bath is gorgeous, I've seen many campuses in my lifetime and Bath is one of the nicest. Feels really safe,comfortable and homey. Accommodation is awesome, Bath has the only 5* accommodation in the country.
    The course is pretty standard, and the placement is a really good scheme, the Uni have a lot of ways to get you where you want.

I'm just not sure whether I can turn down Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    Bath is gorgeous, I've seen many campuses in my lifetime and Bath is one of the nicest. Feels really safe,comfortable and homey. Accommodation is awesome, Bath has the only 5* accommodation in the country.
    The course is pretty standard, and the placement is a really good scheme, the Uni have a lot of ways to get you where you want.

I'm just not sure whether I can turn down Warwick
    Thank you, to be honest, I think the work experiance is pretty important if you are combining it with a degree from a good uni...especially now... Hope you will make a right choice. Just 1 question, when can u apply for accommodation?
    oh and also are most work placements based in London?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, to be honest, I think the work experiance is pretty important if you are combining it with a degree from a good uni...especially now... Hope you will make a right choice. Just 1 question, when can u apply for accommodation?
    oh and also are most work placements based in London?
    Depends on where you want to go
    And I don't know about accom. Has to be Woodland Court for me though :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    Yeah i saw some photos of woodland court and omg....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i saw some photos of woodland court and omg....
    (Original post by Reems)

make sure you apply asap...... even then you may be extremely unlucky and not get it

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you fail 1 or 2 modules, would the company still carrying on with the placement?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply, only just seen this.
    I'm at Bath, and my housemate is doing Politics and IR and is applying for placements atm.

1 - For Pol and IR, from what she has said, some of the placements are paid, and some are not.
    Not sure about how much for that, but for Computer Science the average seems to be around 16k.
    2 - With tuition, it depends on the department. I'm doing CS, and I think i will be paying half fees on my placement year.
    3 - Again from what she has said, the placements are mostly through the department, but there is a lot of choice. That corresponds to my experience with CS too.
    4 - I think you still get any bursaries you are eligible for, and you get some student loan (though not much, think its about 2k). Then obviously you get any salary from the placement.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on placement from Bath (Computer science) at the moment to answer your original questions

You have to apply to your placement so if you only apply to paid placements that's what you'll get average salary is prob somewhere around £16,000 (what I get) outside London maybe £20,000 in London although there are a couple on my course this year working for investment banks on £32,000

You are charged a reduced tuition fee (about £500 this year) which apparently covers things like student support, tutor visits, email accounts library access etc. but you can still get the tuition fee loan to cover this. You can also get the standard maintenance loan if you want. Yeah this sucks but you'll still end up making a net profit and it does show up on your degree certificate.

Some departments will limit you comp sci do as they want it to be relevant, but the guy I'm living with (also on placement from Bath) is doing natural sciences and working in financial planning. It's not the worst thing in the world to have some structure around what you should and shouldn't be doing though.

Bath will not help you with accommodation however as I mentioned you can still get the maintenance loan and you'll likely be paid too.

Also placements are just like any other jobs you can be fired if you stop turning up etc. and that will prob result in you failing your course unless you have extenuating circumstances.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.