Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have never dyed my hair before and heard about semi-premanent vegetable dyes in salons

I was wondering if they are any good?

And also I am very pale with med/dark brown hair and was thinking of going a bit darker or just livening up my natural hair colour. (advice on that too please)

Thanks in advance for any replies
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoJaRe)
    I have never dyed my hair before and heard about semi-premanent vegetable dyes in salons

I was wondering if they are any good?

And also I am very pale with med/dark brown hair and was thinking of going a bit darker or just livening up my natural hair colour. (advice on that too please)

Thanks in advance for any replies
    x
    Hi Jo,

Those colours still have peroxide in them and are pretty similar to regular colours. I find they give a far more natural result which can be a benefit if someone has a strong natural base colour but can also prove a negative if you want the colour to look obvious, as they appear somewhat insipid on lighter hair types.

Also (trade secret here) the same formulas as those available in the salon for plant colours are sold in box retail versions in Holland and Barratt and other health shops.

My advice, I recommend them to pregnant women, people who have had medical treatment and need to go easy on their hair and anyone who is seeking such a product. However, they don't give a particularly different result to regular colours and they also don't treat the hair any better as the same process of opening the cuticle and depositing the colour is required for these products to work.

However, give them a try if you fancy it - they won't hurt and they tend to have a good shine.

Regards

Scott

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottCornwall)
    Hi Jo,

Those colours still have peroxide in them and are pretty similar to regular colours. I find they give a far more natural result which can be a benefit if someone has a strong natural base colour but can also prove a negative if you want the colour to look obvious, as they appear somewhat insipid on lighter hair types.

Also (trade secret here) the same formulas as those available in the salon for plant colours are sold in box retail versions in Holland and Barratt and other health shops.

My advice, I recommend them to pregnant women, people who have had medical treatment and need to go easy on their hair and anyone who is seeking such a product. However, they don't give a particularly different result to regular colours and they also don't treat the hair any better as the same process of opening the cuticle and depositing the colour is required for these products to work.

However, give them a try if you fancy it - they won't hurt and they tend to have a good shine.

Regards

Scott
    Hi Scott,
    Thank you very much - I thought that they may be less harmful to the hair.
    I think i may look in Holland and Barratt for one

Thank you again !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.