Turn on thread page Beta

U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes watch

ReputationRep:
    Link

Coded references to New Testament Bible passages about Jesus Christ are inscribed on high-powered rifle sights provided to the United States military by a Michigan company, an ABC News investigation has found

The sights are used by U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and in the training of Iraqi and Afghan soldiers. The maker of the sights, Trijicon, has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps, and additional contracts to provide sights to the U.S. Army.

U.S. military rules specifically prohibit the proselytizing of any religion in Iraq or Afghanistan and were drawn up in order to prevent criticism that the U.S. was embarked on a religious "Crusade" in its war against al Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents.

One of the citations on the gun sights, 2COR4:6, is an apparent reference to Second Corinthians 4:6 of the New Testament, which reads: "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

Other references include citations from the books of Revelation, Matthew and John dealing with Jesus as "the light of the world." John 8:12, referred to on the gun sights as JN8:12, reads, "Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Trijicon confirmed to ABCNews.com that it adds the biblical codes to the sights sold to the U.S. military. Tom Munson, director of sales and marketing for Trijicon, which is based in Wixom, Michigan, said the inscriptions "have always been there" and said there was nothing wrong or illegal with adding them. Munson said the issue was being raised by a group that is "not Christian." The company has said the practice began under its founder, Glyn Bindon, a devout Christian from South Africa who was killed in a 2003 plane crash.
    That's just page one, that news story is three pages long.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    thats america's religous fundementalism in practice, they are little better than the extremists they fight.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was a bit of a stupid idea imo

ReputationRep:
    So it's just the numbers of the product codes?
    That's disappointing, I was picturing tiny inscriptions that nobody had noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TKC)
    So it's just the numbers of the product codes?
    That's disappointing, I was picturing tiny inscriptions that nobody had noticed.
    Yeah what a stupid story - it hasn't even got text on it!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, I never noticed that, I love my trijicon sight, I'll have to look at see if there is one on there

ReputationRep:
    cant this just be a coincident?

ReputationRep:
    ALN3:31

Im pretty sure someone can come up with a random bible quote based on that.

What should they do, not name each model for fear of causing offence?

ReputationRep:
    This is pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    3:31 - I'm sure it's just the zoom of the scope, like you have on your camera lens?

And besides, American weapons are crap, L85A2, now that's a real weapon!

ReputationRep:
    The CEO is probably some evangelical lunatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.galloway)
    thats america's religous fundementalism in practice, they are little better than the extremists they fight.
    GTFO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    3:31 - I'm sure it's just the zoom of the scope, like you have on your camera lens?

And besides, American weapons are crap, L85A2, now that's a real weapon!
    You've clearly never fired one :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, some Western militaries are becoming dominated by religion - a dangerous situation. Loyalty for religious troops lies not with their commander or state, but with "God".

A major concern of mine is the recent addition of "Combat Rabbis" to frontline Israeli units, despite the vehement secularism of most of the Israeli military. These units have been used in both Lebanon and Gaza. To my mind, a war with Rabbis on the frontlines sounds very much like a Holy War.

ReputationRep:
    Gen:6-8 springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Lol I would say otherwise.

.22 Region champion

L96 Wing champion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)

This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Lol I would say otherwise.

.22 Region champion

L96 Wing champion.
    Yeah, the odd ten minutes on the range with the cadet rifle doesnt quite count.

The list of the problems with the SA 80 include
    -Lack of range
    -Lack of penetration at range
    -Can only be fired right handed
    -Not durable enough

Its outclassed by the American M class, just, and now theres a next generation of weapons out, like the G36, SCAR... It just makes it look a little sad...

ReputationRep:
    Actually since the US began to use 62 grain in their 5.56 instead of the 55 grain we use in our 5.56, the M16 and the M4 have become more effective combat weapons in the 'Stan than our L85A2.

This, however, is a real weapon.

(Original post by Iapetus)
    Well that was a bit of a stupid idea imo
    This.

I saw this on Yahoo Answers, and tbh, I don't see the point at all. What, do they think God will bless them for writing this stuff on their weapons? :nope:

And apparently it's in breach of the First Amendment...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.