Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sociable and have an equal amount of guy friends in relation to girls. I'm fairly girly and love nights out and getting ready with the girls and holidays abroad, Magaluf etc.
    Sometimes I find it easier to get on with guys as they're less judgemental and I can easily have a laugh with them (my mum thinks I'm a 'ladette'; cringe.)
    Should I go for mixed or single sex accomodation as I want to make some really close friends at uni who I can live with in the second year, I know these might be mates outside of my halls but you never know. Also I am quite messy but would get a bit annoyed if lads were really dirty...the whole bathroom sharing issue?
    In general though, up for a messy first year at uni!
    Why am I so full of contradictions... HELP!

ReputationRep:
    I vote mixed. The guys might be a little messier but it's usually nothing you can't handle.

Also if you lived with like six other girls you'd all sync up and then once a month you'd all murder each other and there'd be nobody left to clean up all the body parts

ReputationRep:
    Mixed! Definitely mixed! You do get some dirty boys but generally I've found that girls are messier.

ReputationRep:
    I've opted for single sex, just because I would feel more comfortable monging out with a group of girls looking a state after a night out than with boys. Also im thinking most girls would be a lot more tidy. Personally I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with boys either but if you have an en-suite thats not really an issue.

And as for the issue of 'not getting sex' at uni I'm thinking it wouldn't really be sensible to sleep with a flat mate anyway as it could lead to extremley awkward feeling if you were to not continue with the relationship

ReputationRep:
    Mixed.
    I've been lucky with the people I'm living with this year as they are three girls and I get on with all of them.

However, in past experience, all girls are *****y and all guys are messy. If you're unlucky, you'll get *****y and messy.

Mixed gives you more fun imo!

ReputationRep:
    Mixed If you've got shared bathrooms then you'll probably have cleaners anyway. And boys aren't that messy at all - everyone washes in the same way pretty much! Everyone I know has mixed corridors, I didn't even know many unis gave people a single sex option (unless you mean small self-catering flats)? If you do mean flats, I'd definitely say mixed anyway, it's great to have a real variety of people so that you'll each make different friends - through sports etc - and then you get to know a really wide selection of people.

ReputationRep:
    Lively ensuite accomodation that's mixed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura_802)
    I've opted for single sex, just because I would feel more comfortable monging out with a group of girls looking a state after a night out than with boys. Also im thinking most girls would be a lot more tidy. Personally I wouldn't want to share a bathroom with boys either but if you have an en-suite thats not really an issue.

And as for the issue of 'not getting sex' at uni I'm thinking it wouldn't really be sensible to sleep with a flat mate anyway as it could lead to extremley awkward feeling if you were to not continue with the relationship
    Why wouldn't you want to share a bathroom with boys? Everyone does the same thing in there, it shouldn't make a difference whether they're boys or girls (if the issue is you don't think they'll clean it, just make sure everyone does their fair share).

ReputationRep:
    In my experience girls are actually dirtier than boys. Ask anyone who cleans toilets in bars etc - poo everywhere in the girls frequently. Don't know what they think they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for mixed. I ended up in a single sex halls in first year (it was the chief resident's choice, nothing to do with my application) and it was very dull and frustrating at times. For example, if any female friends were brought back to the flat the more sexually inexperienced residents ended up hounding them like lions over a piece of meat. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Definitely go for mixed. I ended up in a single sex halls in first year (it was the chief resident's choice, nothing to do with my application) and it was very dull and frustrating at times. For example, if any female friends were brought back to the flat the more sexually inexperienced residents ended up hounding them like lions over a piece of meat. :shifty:
    This would be quite amusing to watch :P

I have to agree with mixed. I had a great group of girls and guys and they weren't THAT messy or *****y. We all contributed to make the cleaner hate us and the guys tend to look out for the girls anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Mixed is best - I couldn't live with all girls.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Mixed! Girls are horrid and mean and smell awful anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Lol this made me think of a guy at a party the other day who did this- the girl got so annoyed and it was funny as hell to watch :p:

ReputationRep:
    Also remember re. the bathroom situation that girls spend FAR LONGER in there. I mean, the guys in my flat will spend between about 4 and 15 minutes showering, us girls can be more like 20 mins to an hour (not me, I hasten to add, 30 mins max). So all girls = queues for the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    After going to an all girls school for the past 7 years, I'd definitely pick mixed!

ReputationRep:
    Go with mixed, it's a lot of fun All girls would just get annoying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    I'm sociable and have an equal amount of guy friends in relation to girls. I'm fairly girly and love nights out and getting ready with the girls and holidays abroad, Magaluf etc.
    Sometimes I find it easier to get on with guys as they're less judgemental and I can easily have a laugh with them (my mum thinks I'm a 'ladette'; cringe.)
    Should I go for mixed or single sex accomodation as I want to make some really close friends at uni who I can live with in the second year, I know these might be mates outside of my halls but you never know. Also I am quite messy but would get a bit annoyed if lads were really dirty...the whole bathroom sharing issue?
    In general though, up for a messy first year at uni!
    Why am I so full of contradictions... HELP!
    Ha, Magaluf . . . no wonder your mother thinks you're a chav.

(Original post by swallows)
    In my experience girls are actually dirtier than boys. Ask anyone who cleans toilets in bars etc - poo everywhere in the girls frequently. Don't know what they think they're doing.
    And worse, ugh . . .

ReputationRep:
    With regards what is better for you, I'd probably say mixed. I've lived in a flat of two girls, two boys and this year, two girls and three boys. Both work well and there is a good dynamic in the flat. Some of my female friends in single sex flats have had issues with it but that all depends on who you are sharing with I'd imagine [rather than just their gender]. As for sharing the bathroom with lads - it isn't a problem.

Personally, I picked mixed but wasn't really fussed either way. After going to an all girls school for 5 years, I know I can get on well with girls and ditto have lots of male friends, so I was happy regardless. As I say, I think the individuals have a lot more influence on your accommodation experience than anything else and that can't be controlled...

As a side note, some places will not necessarily match your preferences anyway - here you can pick to be in single sex but lots of people end up in single sex who didn't [single sex flats I mean]. So, be open to both and don't worry too much about it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Also remember re. the bathroom situation that girls spend FAR LONGER in there. I mean, the guys in my flat will spend between about 4 and 15 minutes showering, us girls can be more like 20 mins to an hour (not me, I hasten to add, 30 mins max). So all girls = queues for the toilet.
    But there is the danger of some horrid guy blocking the toilet. 6 girls have had to manage with a single bathroom today and it is not good or fun and it's crazy uncivilised.

*glares at her flatmate's boyfriend*

Saying that... I've refused to live with any girls at all next year. It'll just be me and 5 boys in our house. Living with girls is that bad. I've tried it for 3 years now and it just doesn't work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.