Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mixed. Girls are really untidy.

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out, not all girls are this or all boys that. Some of the lads I've shared with have been really, really messy [things growing on their washing up kind of messy] but so have some of the girls. Ditto some have been almost too far the other way [nagging neat freaks].

A little bit of experience living with different people shows that such generalisations are probably wrong so aren't much help.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by generic hybrid)
    I vote mixed. The guys might be a little messier but it's usually nothing you can't handle.
    In my halls there are 2 floors of guys, and 2 with girls. Without exception both the bathroom and kitchens are always tidier with the guys. Girls often come to our kitchens to prepare food, because there's loads of rubbish in their kitchens and no-one ever cleans it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the advice, think I will end up going mixed for my sanity!

ReputationRep:
    You sound similar to me, I love getting ready for nights out with my best mate and doing girl stuff, but generally find lads are a lot easier to get on with, and a lot of my closest friends are lads.

When I started uni back in September, I found out that I'd been placed on a female only corridor. For the entire drive up, I'd been saying to my mum how I would be really annoyed if I'd been placed with all girls, because I hadn't asked for it (there was a box to tick on the application form if you wanted female only, but I hadn't ticked it.) So, clearly at first, I was a little bit annoyed, because ours is the only corridor in the entire block which is female only, and I'd just so happened to have been placed on it.

I say "at first" because I've found it to be not as bad as I thought it would be, and I actually love all the people I live with. It turns out only the one girls actually asked for female only (her parents are quite religious strict.) And its not like I never have contact with lads, because I met people on my course/on nights out.
    Half the girls in my flat are really clean and tidy, whereas there's one or two who hardly ever clean up after themselves, so girls can be just as messy as guys!

So yeah, just thought I'd share my experiences If I were you, I'd apply for a mixed dorm, because if you get on with both girls and lads, then you'd have a nice mix. I've just found that being in a single sex flat isn't the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flinchalot)
    You sound similar to me, I love getting ready for nights out with my best mate and doing girl stuff, but generally find lads are a lot easier to get on with, and a lot of my closest friends are lads.

When I started uni back in September, I found out that I'd been placed on a female only corridor. For the entire drive up, I'd been saying to my mum how I would be really annoyed if I'd been placed with all girls, because I hadn't asked for it (there was a box to tick on the application form if you wanted female only, but I hadn't ticked it.) So, clearly at first, I was a little bit annoyed, because ours is the only corridor in the entire block which is female only, and I'd just so happened to have been placed on it.

I say "at first" because I've found it to be not as bad as I thought it would be, and I actually love all the people I live with. It turns out only the one girls actually asked for female only (her parents are quite religious strict.) And its not like I never have contact with lads, because I met people on my course/on nights out.
    Half the girls in my flat are really clean and tidy, whereas there's one or two who hardly ever clean up after themselves, so girls can be just as messy as guys!

So yeah, just thought I'd share my experiences If I were you, I'd apply for a mixed dorm, because if you get on with both girls and lads, then you'd have a nice mix. I've just found that being in a single sex flat isn't the end of the world
    Thanks so much for that, I was just getting worried about what to choose, I think I'll apply for mixed but you're right it wouldn't be the end of the world at all to be in single sex. xx

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.