Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I fell up some stairs the other day but I didn't think there was anything wrong to begin with, but over the last few days my knee has been getting worse. Here are the problems:

- It feels "puffy" and swollen inside, but on the outside looks normal.
    - It is agony to kneel on (I found this out by accident).
    - It is painful to go up and downstairs and I have to walk with a limp to avoid bending my knee.
    - I can't bend my knee as far as the other knee.
    - It's not severe pain, but it feel sore and hurts when I lift my leg to walk over something, or crouch down. Putting socks and pants on is horrible and the sharp pain makes me cry out.

Obviously it's not a fracture or I would have realised by now. I have been trying to rest it and keep it elevatedon some cushions, and am taking Ibuprofen, but the Ibuprofen isn't making a difference to the pain.

You say you fell up some stairs, did you hit your knee on the steps? Did you feel your knee cap dislocate? Has this happened before?

I get all the symptoms you describe after my knee dislocates, but I suffer from patellafemoral syndrome. Have you ever had any knee problems before?

ReputationRep:
    I think I hit my knee on the steps, but I honestly can't remember. At the time I didn't think, "oh, I've hurt my knee" or anything like that.
    I've never had knee problems before, no.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should go see a doctor, just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    Probably a pulled ligament or something, a little bit of hyperextension. See the doc, they'll sort you out.

ReputationRep:
    Rice

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what to do ... my next doctor appt it on 3rd of Feb (I see my doctor once a month) so I could just show it to him then, but on the other hand it ... hurts. It's not an A&E thing but I don't want to wait weeks either.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not ring up your doctor and ask for an earlier appointment?

ReputationRep:
    trust me, my knees have taken a battering playing football. If it's a serious knee problem you would know about it. When knees **** up, they really **** up. If it was an impact injury, you would have had to hit your knee really really really hard against the steps to cause any type of significant damage, unless you have weak knees, in which case your screwed and i cant advise.
    If you twisted it, you probably just tweaked a ligament. If you know you have strong/weak knees, this should help you with knowing if its serious, as 99/100 when i've bashed my knees most likely harder than just on some steps, the pain goes away fairly quickly. Give it 2 weeks- if the pain is still there, suddenly begin to worry as that could be serious.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is factious, but doesn't one fall down some stairs, not up?

That aside, you should go to A&E and get that looked at, sod waiting for a GP appointment, it sounds nasty.

ReputationRep:
    It could be any number of things and is impossible to tell without examining it... Definitely go to your GP or a minor injuries unit/walk-in centre (you can find addresses on the NHS website). They'll probably give you some better meds and it should heal up ok as long as you go now, the longer you leave it the worse it may get... and there's no point suffering through bad knees (I know!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.