Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    The new polo shirts are an abomination. Such a limited range of colours, no coloured inlining, smaller collars... lame.
    yeah i hate it when the collars are tiny

its like a king having a tiny crown

isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    I like some of the clothes on Jack Wills, but I wouldn't buy them simply because I can't justify the price. £19 for socks? I don't think so.

I wouldn't hate on anybody who wanted to buy Jack Wills though, even if it is a huge waste of money in my opinion.

(Original post by Fynch101)
    There is a reason that it is a private limited company
    if it wasn't, and results were released like those of britain's large banks, the CEO would be less popular than fred goodwin and adolf hitlers love child. Do you people not realise how huge the profit margins are on these clothes?
    Yeah and the CEO of Primark fights to stay above the breadline due to the cheapness of the clothes he sells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    You've hit the nail on the head really. You don't subscribe to its clothes so you hate the kids who wear it. How silly is that? If I want to wear JW clothes then I will, people shouldn't hate me because I like them. I'm not wearing a swastika am I?

Hating on rich people gets you nowhere either.
    What you choose to wear defines you as a person - look at how quickly we pigeon-hole goths, emos, indie-kids etc. - and the kind of people who, in my experience, wear JW have too much (of their parents) money and little to no fashion sense whatsoever.

I don't 'hate on rich people' - I myself wear Ralph Lauren, Lyle & Scott, A&F from time to time but I wear those clothes because they look good and are fantastically well made. JW is at best bland and some of their clothes look like they've come off the bargain rail at a Saturday market. The only reason people buy it is for the name and the image; those kind of people are generally *******.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like any of the hoodies really, which is good as they're ridiculuosly overpriced :'). I do however, love all of the Lastingham shirts :sogood:.

ReputationRep:
    I do like some of their stuff, but i can't really get too excited about a new collection- because so much of it is just the same everytime.
    Few of the knitware has just changed colour, and one of the cardis that was in the mans section is now in female.

ReputationRep:
    It's all overprices, expensive garbage. I'd rather go to Next, Debenhams, Blue Inc etc and pick up things from a bigger range, that look better, arguably the same quality and about 5 times cheaper.

I don't hate the people who wear them, I hate the brand itself. Charging that much for clothes is extortionate.

ReputationRep:
    I like it just can't justify the money. Might get something from the clearance section though

oh, and i hate the new hoodys

ReputationRep:
    still as overpriced and boring as ever.
    no doubt i'll be getting my sister something JW for her bday, but she ain't be getting much for them prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    I don't 'hate on rich people' - I myself wear Ralph Lauren, Lyle & Scott, A&F from time to time but I wear those clothes because they look good and are fantastically well made.
    I take it you never watched the program 'Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts'? Because then you might know that many Ralph Lauren clothes are made in sweatshops in India. So no more 'fantastically well made' than any other clothes are.

I do buy Jack Wills from time to time, but only the items that are particularly to my style. And no, I buy all my clothes out of my own money, not my parents...(hence I buy mostly in the sales!)
    I agree with the hoody comments though...so plain! The ones with the massive JACK logo's as well are just for people wanting to prove something.

And I'd swear the prices have gone UP again?! Since when was a regular t-shirt £34 and a henley £44?! Definitely a rip-off in my books. Stuff I would only consider buying if it was cheaper, this time round. Although I do like the navy boyfit shorts.

ReputationRep:
    Love It.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overground)
    Yeah and the CEO of Primark fights to stay above the breadline due to the cheapness of the clothes he sells.
    Just to give you an idea, staff have a 75% discount on clothes. How's that for a mark up? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I like the fitted blazers.

The rest of the clothes are very wearable as housewear - but not something to go out and feel pretty in; just something practical, boring, bordering on ugly.
    Which for the price is obviously not worth it, although I'm sure it's good quality housewear.

The dresses and fashion tops are the most disappointing of all to me, they look Primarky. And who the heck likes puffed gilets?! I hated them in the 90s and I still hate them now, along with puffer jackets that have arms too.

Edit: I only looked at the ladies section. Also, I don't dislike anyone who likes or wears it in the slightest. Just like I don't hate people who enjoy milk (ew).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    I don't get the JW Hate.

Why bother mocking a clothes brand unless you're jealous?
    If you don't like it then don't clog up the forum with your opinion.

Just accept that people like other things than you do.
    If you persist to complain, at least give some reasoning so we can at least respect your opinion.
    Most definitely not a case of jealously. Rather more a case of having taste and not resorting to be made a JW/Hollister/A&F/American Eagle/Superdry clone.

ReputationRep:
    Love the shirts, will have to buy one
    The price of Jack Wills clothing is a shame though, I don't feel the quality is amazing either, but I love the style of the shirts and said I would buy one last year and just never did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    Most definitely not a case of jealously. Rather more a case of having taste and not resorting to be made a JW/Hollister/A&F/American Eagle/Superdry clone.
    I agree that it's not a case of jealousy, but there's dislike and then there's disproportional hate that most people here seem to have.

By the way they don't even sell American Eagle in this country. It's only in America. I don't see why you need to call someone a 'clone' because of what type of clothing they choose to wear. You don't see people who wear those brands coming on here and ******** all over other ones do you? You'd forgive people for thinking it's jealousy when people display outright hate and use justifications like 'overpriced' and call others 'clones'. If you don't like it then be happy that you don't have to buy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    Surely taste is subjective?
    And a massive generalisation when you say anyone who wears the stuff are clones.
    Fashion is about wearing what's in style.. surely following fashion is basically being a clone?
    All these kids who think they're being different by dressing like hobos or people from the 50's are all clones of each other. The only way to be independently dressed is to be weird.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    What you choose to wear defines you as a person - look at how quickly we pigeon-hole goths, emos, indie-kids etc. - and the kind of people who, in my experience, wear JW have too much (of their parents) money and little to no fashion sense whatsoever.

I don't 'hate on rich people' - I myself wear Ralph Lauren, Lyle & Scott, A&F from time to time but I wear those clothes because they look good and are fantastically well made. JW is at best bland and some of their clothes look like they've come off the bargain rail at a Saturday market. The only reason people buy it is for the name and the image; those kind of people are generally *******.
    Don't get me wrong I don't actually wear the stuff myself apart from the Blazers and some of the nicer shirts.

The stuff is well made and sometimes (I agree) can be bland, but it's no reason to hate on it at all, just stay away from it.

As for the people who wear it.. I don't know, you might have had some bad experiences, but when people come on TSR and **** off JW, it doesn't exactly bring out the nice side in the people you're debating with, which might explain the illusion that all people who wear it are knobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reems)
    Surely taste is subjective?
    And a massive generalisation when you say anyone who wears the stuff are clones.
    Fashion is about wearing what's in style.. surely following fashion is basically being a clone?
    All these kids who think they're being different by dressing like hobos or people from the 50's are all clones of each other. The only way to be independently dressed is to be weird.

/rant
    JW is, on the whole, generic, boring and tasteless. Generic = mass produced, mass marketed. Boring = plain old hoodies and tees. Tasteless = Jack and Wills and JW and Hockey and Rowing and Rugby and Lacrosse plastered everywhere and a blatant sign that you are a) rich enough and b) silly enough to buy such extortionately priced rubbish clothing.

And fashion is not about wearing what is in style at all - there are so many fashions that never stuck it out or were really in style. Fashion is about producing garments and outfits that are original, beautifully made and look good on the person. Jack Wills is neither original, beautifully made nor does it look good on most people.

ReputationRep:
    Jack Wills - Bland, overpriced clothing for stupid rahs

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.