Turn on thread page Beta

jack wills, spring term watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Never shopped from JW, but gf got me a jw leather holdall for christmas - really nice

Had look at their stuff and I like the preppy style, can get same stuff from AE for cheaper though (albeit without wills emblazoned!)

Are the jw stuff made in uk or mass produced in some 3rd world country?

ReputationRep:
    As I have said, I dislike almost all the clothes.

But this thread has stuck with me today... I've been wanting a well fitted wasit flattering jacket for a while now and haven't seen anything I liked enough to buy so far. Thinking about it I did start to get a little bit sucked into the romantic, British heritage preserving, highest quality materials, country-style colours aspect of JW blazers (which to my mind sets them apart from their generic 'could-have-come-from-anywhere-if-it-wasn't-for-the-logo' other stuff). Why though? I honestly don't know. I am wondering if I really like them and think they look good enough to buy a £109 sale blazer... But the mere fact I'm wondering about it is also making me question my sanity and think I just need some more sleep.

To anyone who owns them - exactly how great is the quality? Things in the old days used to be made to last, but I trust almost no one to make proper quality clothes now thanks to massive profit chasing by everyone. None of my new clothes are great quality and none of them were what I would consider particularly cheap originally (£50-60 dresses, £90 coat, all reduced of course). So I am sceptical, and when we're talking £100 I want to be sure.
    Also, what do you wear a JW blazer with exactly? I haven't quite made my mind up yet.. I think I like them, but I am not entirely sure if they look ridiculous or not.
    And lastly, does everyone know they are JW blazers on sight? I like that they look British in design, but I don't want to look like I got it for any reason other than the design and quality. People do have pre-made conceptions (not entirely without reason) about people who wear JW.

I might just continue my never-ending search for a fitted jacket that I like elsewhere more sensible. In case I just do something I regret and realise later on that I don't actually like it much afterall. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing compared to the previous season, everything seems to have been cheapened a bit, e.g. the new jackets, the polos now look really plain, and the cashmere knits have been ditched
    A hoodie with JACK on it? pfft! Not a great range of loungies this time either!
    Just my opinions though!

ReputationRep:
    Not overly impressed tbh - quite like some of the skirts, shirts and the 'loungewear' top thingies though.

I really don't get this crazy hatred of Jack Wills though. And this word - 'overpriced' - that you all keep using! How the hell can you call Jack Wills 'overpriced'? Its popularity proves the complete opposite - it's all about supply and demand, and Jack Wills are hardly short of demand! Hell, there are plenty of things on their website that have already sold out... If they lowered their prices the whole upmarket, exclusivity thing they've got going on would be over and ultimately they'd probably lose money from it. Sure, it's expensive for what it is, but they've got their pricing exactly right in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    £90 for a hoody? I'm sure there are plenty of people who that is affordable for, but you can't deny that it's overpriced for what it is.

I'd want my hoody laden with glitter and beads and sparkly things and fireworks coming out of the chest for £90 :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing special tbh. The looks they show have been 'in trend' for the past year at least. Who dresses that model?! They don't deserve the pay.

I only liked the jackets and one pair of shorts. As soon as it gets warm i shall be on my way to the shop :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B6ENH)
    Nothing compared to the previous season, everything seems to have been cheapened a bit, e.g. the new jackets, the polos now look really plain, and the cashmere knits have been ditched
    A hoodie with JACK on it? pfft! Not a great range of loungies this time either!
    Just my opinions though!
    Completely agree. The new season is terrible. I wanted a gilet though and the older better ones are all sold out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franchango)
    I take it you never watched the program 'Blood, Sweat and T-Shirts'? Because then you might know that many Ralph Lauren clothes are made in sweatshops in India. So no more 'fantastically well made' than any other clothes are.
    That it's made in a sweatshop is no indicator of its quality. Things made in sweatshops can be incredibly good quality or incredibly bad. Plus the definition of a "workshop" is really fuzzy. I don't care if its made in a sweatshop or not, in fact I'm glad that I support the developing world by buying clothes made in sweatshops. Fair trade is delusional and if everything was fair trade would set the third world back decades. What is an indicator of quality is the 1. design of the fit of the clothes 2. the methods used to create the materials and sewing them together, etc etc, 3. the quality control checks, 4. the type of material used.

RL throws away thousands of items of clothing every year because their quality control is so rigid. Primark on the other hand just sells them anyway.

Most good brands will be 100% cotton, or 100% wool if its knitwear. This is one reason why clothes from expensive brands are expensive, other reasons are because they have to pay the quality control experts, the designers, etc etc, paying models, etc. It's simple economics really.

If you think about it, a Primark t-shirt has to be designed by a Primark designer, it doesn't go through quality control checks, and its modeled by low-end models. That's why they're so cheap. Ralph Lauren is designed by world-leading clothes designers, they go through extensive quality control checks and are modeled by some rather famous models. That's where part of the extra cost from.

However, I do think when you buy JW, you're also buying purported exclusivity, which is why its so ******* stupidly expensive. In some ways, JW operates like a high street store that just sells at ridiculous prices simply because you can show that you can afford it.

Anyway, in regards to Jack Wills, I don't know where quality complaints come from. All the JW I own is good quality, just as comfortable a fit as Ralph Lauren if a little bit more expensive unless you catch it on a sale. I mean, ok, £50 for a JW polo: £35 for a Ralph Lauren :/ That said I only own the polo shirts. I went and felt around their jeans in-store and they felt **** compared to RL jeans or Levis so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)

But this thread has stuck with me today... I've been wanting a well fitted wasit flattering jacket for a while now and haven't seen anything I liked enough to buy so far. Thinking about it I did start to get a little bit sucked into the romantic, British heritage preserving, highest quality materials, country-style colours aspect of JW blazers (which to my mind sets them apart from their generic 'could-have-come-from-anywhere-if-it-wasn't-for-the-logo' other stuff). Why though? I honestly don't know. I am wondering if I really like them and think they look good enough to buy a £109 sale blazer... But the mere fact I'm wondering about it is also making me question my sanity and think I just need some more sleep.

To anyone who owns them - exactly how great is the quality? Things in the old days used to be made to last, but I trust almost no one to make proper quality clothes now thanks to massive profit chasing by everyone. None of my new clothes are great quality and none of them were what I would consider particularly cheap originally (£50-60 dresses, £90 coat, all reduced of course). So I am sceptical, and when we're talking £100 I want to be sure.
    Also, what do you wear a JW blazer with exactly? I haven't quite made my mind up yet.. I think I like them, but I am not entirely sure if they look ridiculous or not.
    And lastly, does everyone know they are JW blazers on sight? I like that they look British in design, but I don't want to look like I got it for any reason other than the design and quality. People do have pre-made conceptions (not entirely without reason) about people who wear JW.

I might just continue my never-ending search for a fitted jacket that I like elsewhere more sensible. In case I just do something I regret and realise later on that I don't actually like it much afterall. Sometimes it is hard to tell.

Topman. No joke. I work there and I'm amazed at the blazers sometimes, so much better than the rest of our stock!

ReputationRep:
    Men should wear blazers from barbour or hackett tbh. then you KNOW youre getting quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribbits)

http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/newsu...TopLevelID=145

Then again, maybe out of your price range

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    JW is, on the whole, generic, boring and tasteless. Generic = mass produced
    Um, everything is mass produced. Unless you only buy your clothes bespoke from Savile Row or Jermyn Street, something being "mass produced" is not abnormal or bad.

And fashion is not about wearing what is in style at all - there are so many fashions that never stuck it out or were really in style.
    Doesn't this kind of undermine your argument a little bit... if there are so many fashions, Jack Wills is probably one of them. You can't simultaenously say that style is relative and then attack people for their style.

Fashion is about producing garments and outfits that are original, beautifully made and look good on the person. Jack Wills is neither original, beautifully made nor does it look good on most people.
    I take it I won't be seeing you going into basically every single high street clothes shop in this country then?

ReputationRep:
    People that have to resort to having huge brand names plastered over their clothes generally have little taste.

ReputationRep:
    much as i dislike JW, i really like their skirts atm (especially the floral darnick) though they're way too short and way too expensive. quite like the red and blue blunderston hoodies as well actually :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    All I have to say about their recent collection is meh.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay, looks about the same tbh.

Although those hoodies with JACK plastered across the front are horrid - you're just advertising for them.

ReputationRep:
    pretty awful, although i can see the nylon jacket becoming RIDICULOUSLY popular since it's so cheap (by jack wills standards).

ReputationRep:
    I quite like most of the stuff in the new range...

..especially this http://www.jackwills.com/Store/Produ...tion=003510404 :love:

Oh my.

http://www.jackwills.com/Store/Produ...tion=003327092

:|

ReputationRep:
    Like these:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.