Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think it just varies dependent upon the R groups present? I'm really not too sure, but I would like to know this answer too

ReputationRep:
    The isoelectric point of an amino acid is dependant on the pKa of the carboxyl and amino groups. By that I mean, how easily they are ionised. The actual isoelectric point pH is the average of the pKa of the carboxyl group and pKa of the amino group. Different amino acids will have different side-chains and this will effect the pka's, perhaps due to inductive, or some other effects. If the pKa's have changed, the isoelectric point is very likely to be different as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    I think it just varies dependent upon the R groups present? I'm really not too sure, but I would like to know this answer too
    Hi. I remember you from the BMAT thread. Sorry to see you didn't get in to cambridge.
    Good luck with your interviews. I'm sure you will get your offer.

I think someone just answered the question, probably not required for A2, but ah well, its nice to know why.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's not required for A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyri)
    Yes, it's not required for A levels
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Because of different R groups on alpha amino acids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolinGirl)
    Hi. I remember you from the BMAT thread. Sorry to see you didn't get in to cambridge.
    Good luck with your interviews. I'm sure you will get your offer.

I think someone just answered the question, probably not required for A2, but ah well, its nice to know why.

aw thanks, I guess it wasn't meant to be And WOW, well done four your offer - thats amazing:woo: !

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.