Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I live in the north-west which means I am now eligible to apply for a new UK Identity Card. While I have heard lots of people in the media making out it is a bad thing and our privacy is at risk, I am failing to see the reasons why i should not get one?

If I get one, it means I am able to travel around Europe without taking my passport. Should I lose the card, I can still travel with my passport until a new card arrives. It also means I dont have to carry my driving license everywhere as the new ID cards are an acceptable form of ID when out in town.

Are there any other positive or negative reasons why I should/shouldn't get one? Your thoughts are appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    i'd personally get one if i could

ReputationRep:
    get it! Dr. pepper, whats the worst that can happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattyjonesuk)
    I live in the north-west which means I am now eligible to apply for a new UK Identity Card. While I have heard lots of people in the media making out it is a bad thing and our privacy is at risk, I am failing to see the reasons why i should not get one?

If I get one, it means I am able to travel around Europe without taking my passport. Should I lose the card, I can still travel with my passport until a new card arrives. It also means I dont have to carry my driving license everywhere as the new ID cards are an acceptable form of ID when out in town.

Are there any other positive or negative reasons why I should/shouldn't get one? Your thoughts are appreciated...

Seems to me it does the same thing as two things you already have, but not quite as useful. Abroad, it functions as a passport, but only within the EU. In the UK, it functions as a driving license, but without entitling you to drive any sort of vehicle.

How is carrying an ID card better, or really any different, to carrying your driving license?

ReputationRep:
    I registered for an ID card on Saturday!
    Do eet - it's fun!

The person doing it for me said that the take-up had been massive, even though the media keep saying how unpopular the idea is!

The downsides for you are probably that it costs £30 and you would likely have to travel into Manchester for your fingerprints to be taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Seems to me it does the same thing as two things you already have, but not quite as useful. Abroad, it functions as a passport, but only within the EU. In the UK, it functions as a driving license, but without entitling you to drive any sort of vehicle.

How is carrying an ID card better, or really any different, to carrying your driving license?
    The main benefit is that it means i can use one form of ID for most things without worrying too much about losing it. It also is a much easier document to carry with you when you go abroad as it will go in your wallet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    I registered for an ID card on Saturday!
    Do eet - it's fun!

The person doing it for me said that the take-up had been massive, even though the media keep saying how unpopular the idea is!

The downsides for you are probably that it costs £30 and you would likely have to travel into Manchester for your fingerprints to be taken.
    I did wonder how you submit your fingerprints... the cost isnt too bad though when you compare it to the cost of a new driving license or passport. I think i am just gonna get one! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flav)
    get it! Dr. pepper, whats the worst that can happen?
    i think its just giving my fingerprints that weirds me out... what if later down the line i decide to turn to a life of crime?? They will catch me straight away! lol

ReputationRep:
    I did wonder how you submit your fingerprints... the cost isnt too bad though when you compare it to the cost of a new driving license or passport. I think i am just gonna get one! lol

A replacement driving licence is £20, so, assuming you did lose it, you'd be £10 worse off. If you just didn't get it and didn't lose the driving licence, you'd be £30 better off.

Is a passport that inconvenient when travelling? What is it? about 1cm thick and 10cm long? Hardly requires another suitcase to carry it around.

ReputationRep:

If I get one, it means I am able to travel around Europe without taking my passport.
    Have you tried getting back into the UK without a passport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Have you tried getting back into the UK without a passport?
    No... but you should be able to with an ID card??

ReputationRep:
    I am nothing short of astounded that people are actually willing to pay out of their own money for a card which dramatically reduces their privacy (containing information as sensitive as fingerprints) and which offers no discernible benefit to the individual at all.

Was it always this way or have we become a nation of brainwashed morons?

ReputationRep:
    Fair point!
    When you register (do you know how to do this btw?), they send you an 8-page application form through the post.
    But you actually don't have to fill in most of it (unless you have had about 9 addresses in the past 5 years, and have a registered 2nd, 3rd and 4th home ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdaD)
    A replacement driving licence is £20, so, assuming you did lose it, you'd be £10 worse off. If you just didn't get it and didn't lose the driving licence, you'd be £30 better off.

Is a passport that inconvenient when travelling? What is it? about 1cm thick and 10cm long? Hardly requires another suitcase to carry it around.
    I thought it was much more if you lost your driving license... but it seems you are correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Thanks for the compliment.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But if we actually been brainwashed by the media, no-one would have got one because they're "costly", "unpopular" and "risky" - and very many people have now got one.

ReputationRep:
    I am nothing short of astounded that people are actually willing to pay out of their own money for a card which dramatically reduces their privacy (containing information as sensitive as fingerprints) and which offers no discernible benefit to the individual at all.

I dont see the big issue with the privacy thing.. Im only considering it because of convenience as i travel round europe a fair bit and also go out in town a lot (and i am lucky enough to still get asked for ID sometimes!).

Personally i think if they made everyone have one - especially people who come from abroad - then at least we would have some idea of who actually lives here...?

ReputationRep:
    The main benefit is that it means i can use one form of ID for most things without worrying too much about losing it.
    You can do that already in the UK, with your driving license.

It also is a much easier document to carry with you when you go abroad as it will go in your wallet!
    So the only advantage is that it's smaller than a passport? Which is of course irrelevant if you're outside the EU anyway, as you will still need a passport then. But if you think that's worth £30 and the hassle of getting it, go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by placenta medicae talpae)
    But if we actually been brainwashed by the media, no-one would have got one because they're "costly", "unpopular" and "risky" - and very many people have now got one.
    It's not the media, its the government. And you've just proved my point exactly - they are costly, they are risky and they are an invasion of privacy - they also offer no obvious benefits to the individual - yet thousands of people sign up for them. If that isn't moronic, I don't know what is.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the media, its the government. And you've just proved my point exactly - they are costly, they are risky and they are an invasion of privacy - they also offer no obvious benefits to the individual - yet thousands of people sign up for them. If that isn't moronic, I don't know what is.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Might be good if you want to go out to the pub and need id?

I dunno, I wouldn't want one, i'm no paranoid android :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.