Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Changing hair style? Suggestions welcomed! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've had the same hair style for quite a while now and think I fancy a change, but literally have no idea what to do. I recently dyed it with semipermanent dye to give it a red-ish hint but it could probably do with a cut too.

This is a recent photo showing how it's cut (before dyed):

(Basically just layered-ish with side parting and side fringe)

This gives an idea of dyed colour (basically faded out now but could do it again?)

Sorry for the bad photos and would have blocked out my face but I think that probably doesn't help to decide if a style would suit me or not!!

Should I cut it/dye it and if so how etc? (Basically just looking for some advice and opinions!) Forgot to say before, I'm looking for something very low maintenance - these photos show it "natural" and non-styled, I just brush it when wet every morning and that's it! Also, I've never actually been to a hairdresser so what to ask for might also help me

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jess,

You have really good colouring and I wouldn't suggest you cut all your hair off. In seasonal categories you are what is known as a full Autumn, which means you can get away with really vibrant copper, burnt browns and soft red tones on your hair.

My advice to you, would be to pay to go to a salon and have lots of coppers, reds and dark golden blondes run through your hair in foils and get them to paint out your base colour with a really gentle semi with a glossy warm hue to it.

As for the style, grow it long and think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman or Debra Messing in 'Will and Grace'. As I advice more and more, you could get away with a really good spiral perm in it (when longer). This way you can wash and wear (aka Pretty Woman) or apply large heated rollers to it and wear like Debra Messings - loose and full. If you apply the heated rollers you only need to do this every few days and pep up with dry shampoo between washes.

I'd keep it warm in colour, loads of length and curl. Big curly hair is really coming back in so you'll look great.

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott

ReputationRep:
    Imo, this is the most sexual hair I have ever seen in my 23 years;

I definitely agree with Scott's suggestion. I've ALWAYS wanted Julia's/Vivien's hair <3 lol.

ReputationRep:
    Don't care about your hair, just came in to say you're quite fit. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottCornwall)

As for the style, grow it long and think Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman or Debra Messing in 'Will and Grace'. As I advice more and more, you could get away with a really good spiral perm in it (when longer). This way you can wash and wear (aka Pretty Woman) or apply large heated rollers to it and wear like Debra Messings - loose and full. If you apply the heated rollers you only need to do this every few days and pep up with dry shampoo between washes.
    Hi Scott,

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't even considered something like that! Do you really think it would suit me? Like my face shape etc?

Sorry if this is a silly question but if that didn't suit me is there any way to reverse it or do you just have to let it grow out?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jess,

It would suit you as you have the right bone structure and features, however if you really hated it you can get the hair permanently straightened but after a couple of weeks a perm in long hair is easy to control anyway you can slide irons through it and it will straighten out easily enough.

Also, perms don't react well with bleach so don't have any bleach highlights applied to your hair. Your best colours are rich reds, coppers and golds. With long curly hair it will look brilliant.

You can buy clip in human hair extensions from Sally's. It might be worth you investing in some of these, clipping them in and buying Nicky Clarke's Flex Stylers from Argos. These are heatable bendy curlers. If you apply the extensions and then wind large sections of your hair in ringlets with them across your head when you remove them and run your fingers through your hair - you will have that kind of long hair Julia Roberts effect immediately.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.