Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

That fat burning time of year.. advice please Watch

ReputationRep:
    So unfortunately I put on approximately 30lbs of fat in 2009. Yes.. quite a lot. The fat has seemed to gather in 3 main places.

- The belly (normal I guess)
    -The ass and thighs - (not quite so normal as I'm male?)

Anyway. Started seriously working on getting rid of it on the 1st Jan, and basically wanted to know what the quickest way of getting rid of it is.

I'm 5'11 and 178 lbs (I was 183lbs 19 days ago).

I've lowered my food intake to 1400 to 1500 calories a day and adopted a mainly vegetarian diet (replacing meat with tofu derived products). Also drinking about 2 to 3 litres of water a day.

In terms of exercise, i'm in the gym 2 to 3 times a week. Squatting and benching on one day, then deadlifts and pullups at the next session with a bit of core mixed in to both sessions. I'm also walking for about 45 minutes every day, and cycling for 40 minutes every other day.

So the question is - what can I do to shed the fat faster? And realistically, how long will it take me to lose it all?

edit - I know that I can't spot reduce fat so no smart comments please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So unfortunately I put on approximately 30lbs of fat in 2009. Yes.. quite a lot. The fat has seemed to gather in 3 main places.

Anyway. Started seriously working on getting rid of it on the 1st Jan, and basically wanted to know what the quickest way of getting rid of it is.

I've lowered my food intake to 1400 to 1500 calories a day and adopted a mainly vegetarian diet (replacing meat with tofu derived products). Also drinking about 2 to 3 litres of water a day.

In terms of exercise, i'm in the gym 2 to 3 times a week. Squatting and benching on one day, then deadlifts and pullups at the next session with a bit of core mixed in to both sessions. I'm also walking for about 45 minutes every day, and cycling for 40 minutes every other day.

So the question is - what can I do to shed the fat faster? And realistically, how long will it take me to lose it all?

You are a guy yes?
    1400 calories is too low. Bring it up.
    There is nothing wrong with meat. What's wrong with chicken, lean meat, fish etc? At the end of the day it's all about calories and you want about 2500-3000.

How long is a piece of string ?

What are you squatting / deadlifting atm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    You are a guy yes?
    1400 calories is too low. Bring it up.
    There is nothing wrong with meat. What's wrong with chicken, lean meat, fish etc? At the end of the day it's all about calories and you want about 2500-3000.

How long is a piece of string ?

What are you squatting / deadlifting atm?
    Yes I am a guy.

I want about 3000 calories? That's almost twice my BMR? Could you explain how eating more calories will help me lose fat? - Can i note that I'm not too interested in hypertrophy. Just a healthy, athletic build.

I can't afford to eat high quality meat at the moment, so I would rather eat vegetarian alternatives than low-grade crappy meat.

I'm squatting 50kg and deadlifting 60kg.

ReputationRep:
    Eat HUUUUGE breakfast and drink PLENTY of water.

Try to walk everwhere you can.

Don't overdo it. The reason intensive/FAD diets don't work is either;
    a) you get bored too fast and falter
    b) The second you go back into your normal habits half of it goes back on

ReputationRep:
    You need the energy to do work hence the calories.

Your bmr can't be 1500 :lolwut: Isn't bmr round about 2500 for an average joe?

How old are you? Bring the weights up, high weight low reps...take a look at starting strength

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    You need the energy to do work hence the calories.

Your bmr can't be 1500 :lolwut: Isn't bmr round about 2500 for an average joe?

How old are you? Bring the weights up, high weight low reps...take a look at starting strength
    Well. Slight exaggeration. It's 1900.

I'm 22.

ReputationRep:
    What I've found to be most effective is this.

Say your calorie intake is 2500 a day, as recommended for a 22 year old guy.
    Limit some calories, and burn some calories. i.e., cut down to say 2000 calories, and burn off an additional 300 or 400. It's quite a healthy way to do it, and you don't feel permanently hungry.

So, if you say your daily calorie intake is ~ 1900, then cut to 1600 and burn off an additional 300.

Unfortunately losing weight does tend to be quite a slow process, to do it properly and keep it off. You could do it quicker by exercising like crazy and eating 200 calories a day, but it wouldn't be healthy or sustainable - that's why it's notoriously difficult!

Edit: sorry, I'm not big into the exercising types (I jog, and swim, and that's about it), so I can't recommend weights/exercise types/times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Well. Slight exaggeration. It's 1900.

I'm 22.

Don't forget to factor in the exercise you're doing as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Don't forget to factor in the exercise you're doing as well.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    So the question is - what can I do to shed the fat faster?
    You're losing 1-2lbs a week as it is, you're right on the money. Personally I'd up your calorific intake slightly (ie; 300-500 cals per day) to slow the weight loss down, make it a bit more sustainable and limit the muscle losses associated with high calorie deficits.

(Original post by Oven)
    And realistically, how long will it take me to lose it all?
    Realistically and if you do it properly, 15+ weeks at the very least.

(Original post by Oven)
    I can't afford to eat high quality meat at the moment, so I would rather eat vegetarian alternatives than low-grade crappy meat.
    What would you call 'high quality meat'?

You can pick up 1kg bags of frozen chicken breasts for around £4, tins of tuna, free range eggs, etc are also all fairly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    You're losing 1-2lbs a week as it is, you're right on the money. Personally I'd up your calorific intake slightly (ie; 300-500 cals per day) to slow the weight loss down, make it a bit more sustainable and limit the muscle losses associated with high calorie deficits.

Realistically and if you do it properly, 15+ weeks at the very least.

What would you call 'high quality meat'?

You can pick up 1kg bags of frozen chicken breasts for around £4, tins of tuna, free range eggs, etc are also all fairly cheap.
    Free range / organic and fresh. I eat eggs no problem.

Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)
    Free range / organic and fresh.
    If you can afford it, by all means go for it, if you can't it isn't worth losing sleep about - in most cases the potential benefit is incredibly small.

ReputationRep:
    Fad/quick dieting worked for me aaaaaand I have kept the weight off....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oven)

if you want an easy tip to help with weight loss that isnt going to be alot of effort, unrealistic or unhealthy, i suggest you carry on eating your recommended calories (for your height)...... but just spread it out to 5 meals a day. I know you hear this everywhere, that frequent meals keep ur metabolism high bla bla bla but i cannot stress enough how easy it is to lose weight by just splitting your meals up and eating them more often! Try think about WHEN you eat as well as what you eat.
    Its easy in terms of your not starving yourself, your not going out of your way to buy silly weight loss products, and its long term so its not a quick diet fix. My highest weight was 10st 4 and now im 8st 5 (im 5'2) and have maintained this weight for more than a year now . :mmm:
    Keep up with the exercise regime as well! :goodluck:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly1992)
    if you want an easy tip to help with weight loss that isnt going to be alot of effort, unrealistic or unhealthy, i suggest you carry on eating your recommended calories (for your height)...... but just spread it out to 5 meals a day. I know you hear this everywhere, that frequent meals keep ur metabolism high bla bla bla but i cannot stress enough how easy it is to lose weight by just splitting your meals up and eating them more often!
    Meal frequency has little or no effect on weight loss.

The thermic effect of feeding (ie; the calories burned to digest and process food), accounts for about 10% of your calorific intake. To give you an example, 10% of 2000 cals is 200 cals irrespective of whether you spread it out over 3 meals, or 17.

To actually burn more calories through the thermic effect of feeding you'd have to eat more which is counterproductive if you're trying to lose weight (ie; to burn an extra 200 cals you'd have to consume an extra 2000 cals - it doesn't make sense).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Meal frequency has little or no effect on weight loss.

The thermic effect of feeding (ie; the calories burned to digest and process food), accounts for about 10% of your calorific intake. To give you an example, 10% of 2000 cals is 200 cals irrespective of whether you spread it out over 3 meals, or 17.

To actually burn more calories through the thermic effect of feeding you'd have to eat more which is counterproductive if you're trying to lose weight (ie; to burn an extra 200 cals you'd have to consume an extra 2000 cals - it doesn't make sense).

it was just an easy change i made that actually worked thought i'd share it with everyone!
    i guess the reason it worked was i felt full all the time so didnt feel the need to overindulge at the next meal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly1992)
    it was just an easy change i made that actually worked thought i'd share it with everyone!
    i guess the reason it worked was i felt full all the time so didnt feel the need to overindulge at the next meal
    That's the only way it 'works' as such but a lot of people mistakenly believe that eating more frequently burns more calories - I was one of them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.