Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to the department before I applied, as I achieved ABB at alevel, but I only did one science a level whereas they asked for two to study this course.

However, I am at another uni at the moment doing the first year of a degree in psychology, i also study biology and a mixture of other science subjects. Like I said I spoke to the department before I applied as I knew I wouldnt get an offer based on my alevels, I asked if my current studies made any difference to my application and, after almost a month of communication and the woman asking many people she replied that yes, this did change my situation and I should apply.

However, I recieved an email today offering me to do a science foundation year instead as I 'dont meet the minimum requirements for the course at alevel' but I already knew this! It sounds like they havent looked at my application at all, just the alevels and dont care about my situation, which would be fine, except that I checked with them to make sure it would be ok and they said it would! So basically it seems as though it was a wasted choice.

Do you think I could argue against this decision because you'd think that completing a year of a degree would mean something! The foundation year is something I'm not interested at all because it's basically exactly what I'm doing now but with no psychology at all, and psychology and cognitive neuroscience is the only thing I want to do. I sent them an email saying I had spoken to the university before i sent my application off, and what I had been told etc, do you think this will make a difference at all?

thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:
    Call up the admissions department / your existing contact?

I'd also make sure you're taking a look at the bigger picture. If it's the degree you want to do at the right uni, then doing the foundation year isn't the end of the world. I was in a similar position, after year1 I wanted to change course but all they could offer was a different course in the next application cycle (so I'd have to take a gap year). At the time I thought "that's a wasted year" and continued with the existing course, only to drop out completely later. In the big scheme of things, +1 year is nothing, I wish I'd realised that then.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.