Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading through "Fashion Illustrato" by Bethan Morris and it has some excellent tips

Questions to ask at an open day-

what is it like to be a student here?
    What is the course structure?
    What proportion of the course is dedicated to written work and contextual studies?
    How up to date are machines, technology and facilities?
    Will I have my own work space?
    What are the studio and workplace hours?
    Are the staff skilled and inspiring?
    What is student staff ratio?
    Are there links with other departments?
    Are there links with industry?
    Are study visits organised to major cities at home and abroad?
    Where is the degree show held?
    What have previous graduates from the institution achieved?
    Which key elements will the interviewer be looking for in a portfolio?
    How many candidates applied last year?
    Do I like the location and atmosphere of the institution? Is it's surrounding area somewhere I would enjoy living? Is there student accommodation? What are social oppertunities?

The book basically tells you that interviewerers aren't there to trick you, but to find out about your personality and commitment. There are no right or wrong answers. Practice interviews before hand. Here are some of the possible questions she gives

why have you chosen this course?
    Why do you want to study in (city/town)?
    Did you come to the open day?
    Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
    Have you completed any work experience?
    What is your strongest piece of work and why?
    Which fashion designers do you admire?
    Which fashion illustrators inspire you?
    What do you like/dislike about the fashion industry?
    Which is your favourite high street retailer?
    Which television programmes do you enjoy watching?
    What are you reading at the moment?
    What is your favourite piece of clothing and why?
    Which magazines do you read?
    Where do you wish to travel?
    What was the last exhibition you saw?
    What do you like best about your personality?
    Do you have any weaknesses?
    What is your greatest achievement to date?

"another issue for students attending a fashion based interview is what to wear. Selecting the right outfit is difficult if you are worried abou the scrutiny of the interviewer. It is fair to say that the interviewer's main objective is to scrutinise your work rather than your dress, but a little effort in this area will not go unnoticed. Choose something you feel comfortable wearing- your clothes should reflect your personality. Don't try and be someone you are not just to impress. It can be a good idea to wear a garment or accessory that you have made yourself to underline your creativity
    most importantly when attending interviews at this level, remain calm and confident. Think about the questions carefully and answer with considered sentences. Your main aim is to make the interviewer think they would be making a mistake if they were to reject you. Believe in yourself and others will believe in you."

it's a good book!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could change the title of this thread as there are so many threads about this at the moment!

But if anyone has any questions feel free to message me!

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could change the title of this thread as there are so many threads about this at the moment!

But if anyone has any questions feel free to message me!

ReputationRep:
    hi, ive got an interview at the lcf on the 11th march and have no idea what to wear or what to take with me. its for a buiness fashion degree and i am soooo nervous. if any one could help i will be so greatful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazza)
    Your main aim is to make the interviewer think they would be making a mistake if they were to reject you. Believe in yourself and others will believe in you."
    Completely agree with thisss!!! Brilliant Advice!

ReputationRep:
    hi can anyone help me plz!!! Iv gt an interview on wednesday for fashion design course and i really don't no what to say and what to answer!! cn anyone help me plz?!! thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pishi)
    hi can anyone help me plz!!! Iv gt an interview on wednesday for fashion design course and i really don't no what to say and what to answer!! cn anyone help me plz?!! thnx
    The obvious thing to do is prepare for each of the questions the original post has mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very sceptical about these 'help' books for future creatives. I dont agree with 90% of what has been written, most of the stuff OP has mentioned you wont be asked. Dress as yourself, don't doll yourself up for an interview. I saw sooooo many girls in cheap looking suits, topshop fur coats and just utter tat. NO fashion course will take you over the clothes you're wearing (providing theyre not something you've made yourself), they want to see your work, not your taste in clothes. Also there's probably only 2 of those questions that i was asked. You have to know whether fashion is the correct course for you. You wont be asked about your favourite item of clothing, or retailer. If you was, i'd recommend withdrawing your application from that institution.

The one thing that stands out in any interview is confidence. Knowledge is confidence, make sure you know yourself as a creative person, your work (the development, experimentation, concepts, inspiration etc..) and you have to have an amazing portoflio. Saying this, don't go in with a fake arrogance, just be yourself and know yourself is the main thing. The competition for design courses is so much more fierce than just regular art degrees. As design is so saturated, they want innovative and creative students. Remember Universities will see you as more of an investment, someone to train and hopefully be able to use you for recognition, influence and develop links.

Each University will obviously ask different things to their applicants. One of my interviews i was asked about my ambitions, and interests outside of art as well as my work. The majority i was only asked about my work, and even then it was mainly critical and questioning to see if you can respond adequatley. All in all they only care about your portfolio. For fashion make sure it contains A LOT ! of experimental samples/prints/construction and a variety of other mediums of art (sculpture, applied arts work, film etc...)

The main piece of advice i would give a fashion applicant is it is very tough and competitive and if you don't get what you want, dust yourself off, say **** you and go to the next interview. Because somewhere will like you, your work and accept you. Feel free to message or ask questions as i may be able to help, just been through the process myself x

ReputationRep:
    thnx..

omg i cnt sleep !! i cnt wait till tomo!!!!!!!! hope they like my portfolio !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pishi)
    thnx..

omg i cnt sleep !! i cnt wait till tomo!!!!!!!! hope they like my portfolio !!!
    how did it go??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 12, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.