Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Reapplying and ps detection watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, hopefully this isn't going to apply for me, but I've been wondering and it's a just incase.

So say I don't get the grades I need this year to get into uni, then do a gap year or foundation course or something and reapply the next year, could I use the same personal statement? Or would the similarity detection thingy realise it was the same ps?

Thanks, as I said, just a hypothetical question thats been on my mind.
    Marissa xx

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with using the same PS as long as you wrote it.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe ring the universities and ask them hypotheticallly but work hard and you will get the 300 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rissa14)
    Hi, hopefully this isn't going to apply for me, but I've been wondering and it's a just incase.

So say I don't get the grades I need this year to get into uni, then do a gap year or foundation course or something and reapply the next year, could I use the same personal statement? Or would the similarity detection thingy realise it was the same ps?

Thanks, as I said, just a hypothetical question thats been on my mind.
    Marissa xx
    Dont worry this happens alot. All they do is get someone to look at the two and they will see that it is the same person so they will just ignore it you cant get done for it as its yours anyway.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone xx

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you can, but you may still want to check with the universities or UCAS just to make sure

ReputationRep:
    Chances are, you would have developed enough to look back on your PS and how crap it is in comparison to what you could now produce.

I certainly did when I made a transfer application.

ReputationRep:
    You have to include your previous application numbers in your UCAS so that they can link you up with your previous applications meaning you can use the same PS. Although why you'd want to do that without updating it at all is another matter - I'd assume you would have at least some further insight and ideas into your course choices through benefiting from a gap year, so it would make sense to change it... hindsight is a wonderful thing

ReputationRep:
    Trying not to brag - but I was really really happy with the majority of my PS and I haven't had any rejections. Obviously if this was to happen I would want to add in about things I have done, I was just worried as it was the 10% similarity or whatever it was.

But thanks everyone for the informations

ReputationRep:
    As the User SteveUCAS once said on a similar thread: Once a certain percentage of similarity is detected (I think > 10%), the PS is flagged and looked at by someone who will then see that both PS are by the same person.

It's no problem at all. You'll probably have some things to add though after a year.

ReputationRep:
    Using the exact same PS will actually be a big disadvantage, because when universities see the two and they are more or less identical, they will ask themselves "what has this person wasted a whole year on?!"...

But yeah try and add some extra stuff when the time comes...

Good luck with your application/exams

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.