Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Quick dinner recipes??? Need your help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, hope you all are well.

I work 40hours a week and get home about 7ish each weekday and I am so tired to try and cook anything massive so I normally buy some sort of fast food which I am getting really tired of.

Does anyone have any quick recipes for dinner meals?

Thank you so much! Hopefully going to start my new recipes tonight
    Amy x

ReputationRep:
    Stir fry, pasta, some soups are very quick, if you have a slow cooker you can make the equivalent of a roast dinner by preparing it the night before and leaving it to cook all day! I find cooking quite therapeutic so I'm slightly different to you, but try browsing the Good Food website for quick dinners, they're all brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Cook pasta
    Fry onion + bacon + mushrooms
    Add cream cheese + a bit of milk
    Mix in pasta.

ReputationRep:
    Pasta + tuna + ketchup = me happy.

ReputationRep:
    Fish! Buy some of those packs of indivdually packaged fillets; salmon, smoked haddock, cod whatever, you can keep them in the freezer and take out one in the morning and put it in the fridge so its defrosted by the time you get home. Put a pan of water on, bring it up to a gentle simmer and put the fillet in for about 5-10 minutes depending on how thick the fillet is. If you're feeling fancy a bay leaf (dried or fresh) and some black peppercorns are good in the poaching water. Either microwave some fresh veg or serve on some salad leaves with a slice of bread. Added bonus: only one pan to wash up.

I find stir fry quick to cook but if you're doing the prep yourself it can take a good half an hour to peel and chop everything, and whilst pasta is ok it gets boring really quickly, for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    One of my standby dinners when I'm too tired to spend ages cooking is creamed tuna and rice (takes 20 mins).

Steamed rice (nicer than boiled rice!): measure 1/3 mug of basmati rice, rinse thoroughly, put in saucepan with 1/3 mug boiling water (has to be exactly the same quantity as the rice, e.g. if doing a whole mug of rice, cook in a whole mug of water). Bring to boil, then turn down and simmer with tightly-fitting lid on for 20 mins exactly (don't lift lid while cooking).

Tuna: melt spoonful of butter/margerine in saucepan, fry chopped onion in butter (onion actually optional, but improves flavour!), add spoonful flour, stir, then add milk a little bit at a time, stirring constantly to prevent it becoming lumpy, until you have a sauce. Let it simmer for a few minutes, then add 1/2 tin of tuna, salt and pepper. Boil some frozen peas and chopped carrot in another pan, then add to the creamed tuna.

ReputationRep:
    I suggest taking the time to just make up lots of portions of different foods and freezing them. . Bam, awesome food in 3 minutes thnk you to the microwave

And to make up on the spot, omelette, pastas, stirfry, soup.
    Veggie food is the quickest to cook, look up some veg recipes

ReputationRep:
    Stir Fry - easiest thing!

You can get either fresh rice noodles or pre-packaged ones, steamy vegetables that you microwave and a sauce sachet (hoi-sin and garlic/blackbean are amazing!).

Put a packet of steamy veg in your micro for about 5 minutes.
    Put a little oil in the wok if you don't have a non-stick one and heat it up gently.
    Put your sauce in the pan followed by your noodles and vegetables once they're done.
    Heat up all together whilst stirring.
    Chuck in a bowl.
    Voila - eat and enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone else really, stir fry's etc. Also cook batches of food, freeze and microwave. If you have a slow cooker, I would definately take advantage and cook caeroles, stew, etc throughout the day. I also love this website - http://www.studentrecipes.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xaheartdx)
    I agree with everyone else really, stir fry's etc. Also cook batches of food, freeze and microwave. If you have a slow cooker, I would definitely take advantage and cook caeroles, stew, etc throughout the day. I also love this website - http://www.studentrecipes.com/
    Thumbs up to this... Slow cookers are great if you're stuck for time. prep your food the night before, chuck it all in, in the morning and it's done when you get home

ReputationRep:
    Yup Yup agree with almost all of you all...

Cook It - Dish It - Freeze It - Store It - Sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Cook pasta
    Fry onion + bacon + mushrooms
    Add cream cheese + a bit of milk
    Mix in pasta.
    Thank you so much I tried this recipe last night and added a bit of chicken I had left over. It was great; I even had some left over to bring to work with me. Can’t wait until lunch!

All your recipes were great, why don't you upload them on a site called Mydish, it is a site for people to share their recipes and I am quite sure all your recipes will be very popular.

Any more quick dinner recipes will be great guys,

Take care everyone
    Amy x

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.