Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGiant)
    No it is not. Homophobia is the irrational fear of gays. If you do not have an irrational fear of gays but say "don't be gay" how does that make you homophobic??

It is not wrong to use the word gay to mean something bad.

I use words like *******, retarded, mong, and gay regularly. Yet I have nothing against people born out of wedlock, the retarded, autistic people, or homosexuals.
    This may confuse some people, but it is because the meaning of words is intentional. Language constantly evolves and changes. So if I say "go **** a duck" or "suck my balls" I am not asking people to have sex with ducks, or to suck my balls, but is an expression used to communicate feeling.

If gays get offended by using the term gay in a bad way I'm not bothered. I don't mean anything bad by it. It is just the way language works.
    +Rep for you.

ReputationRep:
    No it is not. Homophobia is the irrational fear of gays. If you do not have an irrational fear of gays but say "don't be gay" how does that make you homophobic??

I use words like *******, retarded, mong, and gay regularly. Yet I have nothing against people born out of wedlock, the retarded, autistic people, or homosexuals.
    This may confuse some people, but it is because the meaning of words is intentional. Language constantly evolves and changes. So if I say "go **** a duck" or "suck my balls" I am not asking people to have sex with ducks, or to suck my balls, but is an expression used to communicate feeling.

If gays get offended by using the term gay in a bad way I'm not bothered. I don't mean anything bad by it. It is just the way language works.
    Okay, not homophobia then, hatred of gays.

It's offensive and hateful that the word is used to mean something bad. It's offensive to perpetuate this usage whether you really hate gays or not. Using it anyway when you know where it comes from completely disregards and dismisses the feelings of gay people and is therefore offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

People who do that are so gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    Why should my sexuality be used in a way to label something as bad?

It's as bad as when people used Jew in a negative way at college. That was stamped out by tutors pretty fast but calling things gay was ignored completely.
    When did people stop being able to take a joke, and start taking offense at everything, even comments not directed at them?

ReputationRep:
    If you think that's homophobic, you should just Jew off and stop being so bloody black about it!

-Simon Amstell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Julia_)
    If you think that's homophobic, you should just Jew off and stop being so bloody black about it!

-Simon Amstell
    Simon :love:

If you're that bothered by it then you need to get a grip, or a sense of perspective.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: watch the video. Hillary duff doesn't know what she is on about and Chris Crocker omg he was talking so much crap I don't see how he can have so many subs. "look at Obama" wtf???
    It's just as offensive to use the words "retarded" and "mong". As for "*******", the use of the word to mean "child born out of wedlock" has long been obsolete so it's not really comparable.

ReputationRep:
    As a gay person, I can tell you that it is offensive but that you learn to live with it.

That does not mean people should keep doing it, more that you become numb to it. The argument that it doesn't mean homosexual is flawed. It came to be used as meaning bad, stupid, distasteful etc because those were perspectives on homosexuality. It still quite clear today that that is where its origins lie.

I don't think it would be easy to stamp it out because it has become so ingrained, but that makes it no less acceptable. I don't think straight people can say 'If I were gay, I don't think I would be offended', because they are simply not in a position to judge.

Just imagine if you went around describing things you found to be bad, disgusting, or distasteful as 'Negro' or 'Indian'. Might make it a bit clearer.

People still say that ... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdgpg...eature=related
    That's REALLY gay:cool:

(Original post by tony_ron)
    As a gay person, I can tell you that it is offensive but that you learn to live with it.

That does not mean people should keep doing it, more that you become numb to it. The argument that it doesn't mean homosexual is flawed. It came to be used as meaning bad, stupid, distasteful etc because those were perspectives on homosexuality. It still quite clear today that that is where its origins lie.

I don't think it would be easy to stamp it out because it has become so ingrained, but that makes it no less acceptable. I don't think straight people can say 'If I were gay, I don't think I would be offended', because they are simply not in a position to judge.

Just imagine if you went around describing things you found to be bad, disgusting, or distasteful as 'Negro' or 'Indian'. Might make it a bit clearer.
    omg!!! it's you .... hey Tony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Okay, not homophobia then, hatred of gays.

It's offensive and hateful that the word is used to mean something bad. It's offensive to perpetuate this usage whether you really hate gays or not. Using it anyway when you know where it comes from completely disregards and dismisses the feelings of gay people and is therefore offensive.

@ aeonflux
    thanks

@nolongerhearthemusic

Seeing as we are talking about language and the meaning of words. Have you considered that gay actually means happy?
    So should all the happy people be offended?

I'm pretty happy, and when people use the word gay in a bad way I am not offended.

If someone called you a b-astard would you be offended? if so, what right do you have to be offended just because someone suggested you were born out of wedlock.

I think you underestimate the complexities of language. The definition of colloquial words are never stagnant. Words are expressions of the meaning we are trying to convey. The words themselves aren't important, it is the meaning (subjective) behind them.

When my dad says "pass the clicker" or "pass the do-dar" most people wouldn't have a clue what on earth he is on about. But I know that he is actually asking for the remote to the TV or the garage door.

From an outside viewpoint you may think he is talking nonsense. And from an outside viewpoint you may think that when I say "don't be gay" i am saying there is something wrong with being gay. But if you knew me better, and knew my Dad better, you would understand this is just the way we use words. And the people we are around understand exactly what we mean.

I have a mate called "Gay Alex" (who is gay) and even he says it! does this mean he hates gay people? is he promoting homophobia?

ReputationRep:
    gay

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so gay.

(Original post by tony_ron)
    Just imagine if you went around describing things you found to be bad, disgusting, or distasteful as 'Negro'. Might make it a bit clearer.
    I do that sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason to do it and it is offensive.

The reasons "that's so gay" is used is nothing to do with the original meaning of gay (happy). It is because being gay has historically been a pretty lamentable state of affairs. It wasn't a good thing to be gay, so the parallel between being gay and something being pretty rubbish is drawn.

It is a direct and negative reference to homosexuality, whatever people might say about it being "just a turn of phrase" and such.

If people regularly said "that's so black" when they meant "I don't like that" or "that's pretty rubbish", would it be OK?

There is PC gone mad and then there is just being a decent human being and not using phrases with an explicitly offensive history or meaning, however innocently intended you might be.

However, I'm not going to get angry if someone uses it. Sure, it'd be nice if everyone engaged their brain and didn't use offensive language but as long as I know someone isn't homophobic, I'm not going to get pissed off. Heck, I say "retard" and "*******" all the time . . . bad Schmokie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    It's just as offensive to use the words "retarded" and "mong". As for "*******", the use of the word to mean "child born out of wedlock" has long been obsolete so it's not really comparable.
    How did it become obsolete though?

Did everyone one day decide. Right guys, ******* no longer means child born out of wedlock, it now means a guy who is a bit of ****.

No It happened because at first being a ******* was seen as a bad thing. Then it caught on, and eventually it stopped meaning out of wedlock.

The same thing has happened to gay, no one uses it to mean happy any more.

And now the same thing is happening, except now gay means bad.

language is constantly changing. Go with the flow because there is nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    @ aeonflux
    thanks

@nolongerhearthemusic

Seeing as we are talking about language and the meaning of words. Have you considered that gay actually means happy?
    So should all the happy people be offended?

I'm pretty happy, and when people use the word gay in a bad way I am not offended.

If someone called you a b-astard would you be offended? if so, what right do you have to be offended just because someone suggested you were born out of wedlock.

I think you underestimate the complexities of language. The definition of colloquial words are never stagnant. Words are expressions of the meaning we are trying to convey. The words themselves aren't important, it is the meaning (subjective) behind them.

When my dad says "pass the clicker" or "pass the do-dar" most people wouldn't have a clue what on earth he is on about. But I know that he is actually asking for the remote to the TV or the garage door.

From an outside viewpoint you may think he is talking nonsense. And from an outside viewpoint you may think that when I say "don't be gay" i am saying there is something wrong with being gay. But if you knew me better, and knew my Dad better, you would understand this is just the way we use words. And the people we are around understand exactly what we mean.

I have a mate called "Gay Alex" (who is gay) and even he says it! does this mean he hates gay people? is he promoting homophobia?
    Until "gay" no longer means homosexual and homophobia no longer exists, it'll be offensive. Language and society change, yes, but it hasn't happened yet with this word. "Gay" is no longer used to mean happy and "*******" is no longer used to mean illegitimate child. Those comparisons don't work.

And it doesn't matter whether gay people use it, if you aren't gay you shouldn't. Do you think white people are allowed to use the n-word just because some black people do?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.