Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    The main use of the word gay is to mean homosexual. So to use the secondary meaning of crap is offensive regardless of the natural flow of language...
    That is a modern use of the word gay. Do you have no concept of time and change?

It was never a secondary meaning. The word gay since before modern times has always meant happy, as the main reason.

Look up "etymology" and you might be surprised with what you find.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    No? Then why all the hoo-haa in the media about "unwed teenage mothers"? Also, could you honestly say you'd not think less of a woman who got knocked up by some stranger than a woman who got knocked up by her husband? I certainly would, a lot less in fact.
    No, I wouldn't think less of her.

ReputationRep:
    But if I can't call people 'gay' or '******', how am I supposed to insult people over the internet?

ReputationRep:
    No? Then why all the hoo-haa in the media about "unwed teenage mothers"? Also, could you honestly say you'd not think less of a woman who got knocked up by some stranger than a woman who got knocked up by her husband? I certainly would, a lot less in fact.
    I don't think I've ever seen the word 'unwed' used in that context. 'Single', maybe, but that's a very different thing.

ReputationRep:
    The word c**t is offensive, gay isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I take it that he is using the N word to refer to black people with a certain . . . pechant for crime? Well, that may be how he (and perhaps other black people) use the word, but that isn't how the world as a whole sees the phrase.

He isn't racist, no. He is attacking people with a certain attitude not people with a certain skin colour. However, just because one person redefines a word and then uses it in an arguably non offensive way, that doesn't mean all uses of the word as long as they are not intended to offend are OK.

I would go out into the street, shout "I hate pakis" and then say "well, I think paki means 'nasty person from the middle east who likes to steal'" to justify myself when someone gets offended.

Also - just because someone knows they can get laughs by insulting their own people, that doesn't mean that using the same language as them out on the street is OK. Many 'entertainers' tread a fine line between self-mockery and being offensive.

I could make a joke about how all bisexuals are only after sex and are totally greedy, and because most people would see me as bisexual I might be able to get away with it, but I'd be mortified if people started saying "that's so bisexual" when they meant "that's just greedy" or "that's excessive".
    How is what I am doing anything different to what Chris Rock is doing?
    I am redefining a word, like he is.

shoot me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    No, I wouldn't think less of her.
    Maybe not, but you're just some liberal hippy and not representative of the populace on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    Im gay & i misuse the word all the time, i guess it depends on the person if they find it offensive or not, i'm not offended by it at all, though i hate the word 'fag' or '******' >_>

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone over the age of 15 still say that?

ReputationRep:
    I personally find it insulting, but I understand how people can use it in ignorance and not mean to be offensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonade-please)
    The word **** is offensive, gay isn't.
    I don't know what the asterisked word is. but surely offence depends on the person taking offence.

If i take offence to the word "Kettle" surely that makes the word kettle offensive?

Where as if I call my gf a N ****** and she is not offended, that means in that situation ****** is not an offensive word

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Absolutely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Those videos were gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I don't think I've ever seen the word 'unwed' used in that context. 'Single', maybe, but that's a very different thing.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unwed+teenage+mothers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not, but you're just some liberal hippy and not representative of the populace on the whole.
    Well, if I really thought most people thought of "*******" as illegitimate child, and if illegitimate children faced discrimination because of it then I'd be against using the word to mean bad. But I don't think that definition is what most people think of first, and I don't think illegitimate children have anywhere near the disadvantages they would have had when the switch in meaning took place. The situation is not the same with "gay." Most people will think of homosexual as the first definition, and homophobia is still alive and well.

ReputationRep:
    LOL at "gay is not an adjective." Thanks Chris Crocker. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGiant)
    That is a modern use of the word gay. Do you have no concept of time and change?

It was never a secondary meaning. The word gay since before modern times has always meant happy, as the main reason.

Look up "etymology" and you might be surprised with what you find.
    Gay used to mean "happy". That meaning is now practically obsolete. Whenever the word "gay" is used in the media, in business, in politics, in the arts or by anyone over the age of fifteen, it usually means homosexual. Because the word "gay" is ordinarily used to mean homosexual, to use it to mean "rubbish" or "crap" is naturally offensive. I am familiar with the term etymology.

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unwed+teenage+mothers
    Those are obscure, irrelevent websites. You didn't really prove your point. Like I said, I have never seen the word 'unwed' used in that context in the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Who says it's become divorced from it's previous meaning? Because to the majority of people, it hasn't. I might as well go around calling everyone n****** or pakis or jews or blacks if they annoy me, and then say 'oh but it's not offensive because it's become divorced from it's previous meaning'. The fact that a hell of a lot of people find it offensive mean it hasn't become divorced from its previous meaning, that it is offensive and that people shouldn't use it. Just because you don't find it offensive that doesn't mean it's ok to use.
    So according to you, what words are we allowed to use? How many people have to take offense to a word before we're not allowed to use it? What if I got a group together of 10,000 people who all agree we find the word 'hello' offensive? What about if the group contained a million people?

Saying ****** or jew or paki or gay in itself is not offensive. Whats offensive is the context. For example, having an argument with the bank manager and calling him a jew is offensive. Saying Ed Miliband is a jew is not.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.