Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've read through quite a few TV license threads but I haven't found anything relating to my particular situation.

I live in student halls and 8 of us share a communal living area and kitchen. My flatmate often puts his TV in there to watch live TV, but won't pay for a TV license. The rest of us aren't interested in TV (but we will be in the same room to cook and eat obviously), so my concern is that the rest of us could be fined for his TV.

Is this the case? What should I do about it?

ReputationRep:
    Stop being a whiny ***** & enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    similar thing last year in my shared house, was my tv, however i did get a license, i rang up to talk to the guys as my flat mates were worried they were not covered. the guy said, who ever owns the tv is liable for the license. however if one of you has a license and the tv is in an area you live even if communal you are all covered.

so i guess the same applies without a license and would just be him getting the fine as he owns the tv. hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I wouldnt worry. Chances of you getting caught are very very slim, and if you do its his TV.... not your responsibility. However, not many students bother with TV licences.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flav)
    however if one of you has a license and the tv is in an area you live even if communal you are all covered.
    just wanna add, one tv license covers other areas as long as you don't need a key to get to them, i know people in a flat that don't have locks on their bedroom doors and only have one license.

see tv licensing always trying to scare you by telling why you need a license but they'll never be honest and tell you what are allowed to do without one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Stop being a whiny ***** & enjoy yourself
    Admittedly the chance is low, but stop being a whiny ***** & grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    Stop worrying and enjoy yourself It's nothing to do with you, for all they know, you had no idea he owned a TV. His TV, his responsibility.
    Well it is in the kitchen/living room that i'm in every day so it would be quite obvious that I'm aware of it haha

ReputationRep:
    also slightly unrelated but fascinating, a friend of mine took his TV to uni, for using with Xbox. he rang them up said he had a TV but only used it for Xbox and didn't plug the Ariel in. They said he was fine as long as he didn't plug the Ariel in.

Didn't believe this but apparently true.

ReputationRep:
    His TV, his problem. Tbh if you wanted to be safe, £142.50 would be £18 each. That's nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HexagonalBolts)
    Admittedly the chance is low, but stop being a whiny ***** & grow up.
    Ha! Good come back

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter who owns the tv - whoever is caught watching the tv without a license is the one who is liable for the fine.

ReputationRep:
    OP, why does he not want to get a TV license? Money?

As Gemma's said, it'll be £20 each, the cost of one night out. A fine is a lot more than that!

Look here, it says that your halls of residence probably has a license covering communal areas - you could check that first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flav)
    also slightly unrelated but fascinating, a friend of mine took his TV to uni, for using with Xbox. he rang them up said he had a TV but only used it for Xbox and didn't plug the Ariel in. They said he was fine as long as he didn't plug the Ariel in.

It's true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    His TV, his problem. Tbh if you wanted to be safe, £142.50 would be £18 each. That's nothing.
    nothing? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flav)

That's completely true.

You only need a tv license if you watch live tv programmes in your residence.

So if you only use a games console, or only iPlayer, you don't need one.

My college has just received our second batch of letters this year telling us to get licenses. The cleaning lady told me that they've never sent anyone to check whether we actually have televisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lm_wfc)
    nothing? :O
    Well I guess I say that because I paid the full whack for mine.
    Well worth it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    OP, why does he not want to get a TV license? Money?

As Gemma's said, it'll be £20 each, the cost of one night out. A fine is a lot more than that!

Look here, it says that your halls of residence probably has a license covering communal areas - you could check that first.
    It seems unfair that we should together pay £100 for something we don't use though

I don't think we are covered by communal areas because we keep getting these ridiculous over-the-top letters

ReputationRep:
    It seems unfair that we should together pay £100 for something we don't use though

I don't think we are covered by communal areas because we keep getting these ridiculous over-the-top letters
    Do you not watch the television? I was under the impression you all did. You could ring the TV licensing company and see what they say about it, as anything I say would be speculation, sorry OP.
    Edit: Don't forget, you'd need a license if you use your laptop to watch live tv - not sure if you knew that. Anything you use to watch live TV needs a license. Why I think this is relevant is if you all use your laptops to stream live tv instead, then it would end up being a lot more sensible to just all share a license, as it's per household, not per tv/laptop.

ReputationRep:
    Technically the communal area of a flat is not your property, it's just a space that the university allows you to occupy. So it's the university that should be paying for the license, not you. If your building isn't covered by a TV License, then it's them that'll get fined, not you.

ReputationRep:

The letters are for TVs in your room. Even if he paid for a license for his room I doubt it would extend to your kitchen because that's not his address.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.