Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Will university ask me for them? In all honesty I have no idea where they have gone. Does UCAS or some other Government program keep backups of your GCSE results for universities to look at?

One sneaky question.

Since I done my GCSE's now over 5 years ago, they wouldn't mind if I bumped a D grade GCSE to C would they, hahahah? My grades were pathetic, but that's not because I thought I was too cool for school. I had been suffering from social anxiety and still do.

I remember when I left school they told me they'd keep my results for 3 years and after that no more.

Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    if you haven't got a gcse in maths or english @ grade c or above just take the national test at level two via learn direct or other education providers to be safe and sure.

ReputationRep:
    i really doubt you could get away with that; people are pretty good at keeping these things backed up, and if they found out you'd be in the poo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialWorkAngel)
    if you haven't got a gcse in maths or english @ grade c or above just take the national test at level two via learn direct or other education providers to be safe and sure.
    One step ahead of you, my lady. Did that last year and passed both of them at level 2. Although I doubt universities care though about those qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sad Clown)
    i really doubt you could get away with that; people are pretty good at keeping these things backed up, and if they found out you'd be in the poo.
    You gotta be joking, right? I mean I'm not a kid anymore. Yeah I understand if they keep your grades for fresh a-level students at the ripe age of 18, but me? Come on.

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays they do except them it's always worth ringing universities to double check.

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays they do except them it's always worth ringing universities to double check.
    Is it possible to list them on the ucas form or state them on my personal statement. I looked for learndirect qualifications on ucas but nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PraxxtorCruel)
    Will university ask me for them? In all honesty I have no idea where they have gone. Does UCAS or some other Government program keep backups of your GCSE results for universities to look at?

One sneaky question.

Since I done my GCSE's now over 5 years ago, they wouldn't mind if I bumped a D grade GCSE to C would they, hahahah? My grades were pathetic, but that's not because I thought I was too cool for school. I had been suffering from social anxiety and still do.

I remember when I left school they told me they'd keep my results for 3 years and after that no more.

Thanks for your time
    You can get copies of certificates IIRC. I lost my Edexcel GCSE certificate and was able to get a copy. There is a cost though.

Don't lie on any application, not worth it. Even if they don't ask for it, why bother risking it. It's not like a D to a C makes much difference.

ReputationRep:
    what about just adding them in under "other"

ReputationRep:
    If they said you put the grades wrong just say you did them so long ago you forgot what you got haha.

ReputationRep:
    what about just adding them in under "other"

Yes, of course. Thanks for that!:woo:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by PraxxtorCruel)

One sneaky question.

Thanks for your time
    They do check them, regardless of how old you are or when you got your qualifications. I did my GCSEs in 2001, and since that time, I've had to provide proof of grades to both universities I've attended, as well as employers. Thar's why it's pretty damn important to keep your certificates in a safe place. I keep mine in a big concertina file with my passport, birth certificate, P45s and any other important papers you can think of so I only need to search one place when any proof of ID/qualification/employment is needed... I'd be buggered if that file got lost though lol!

You can apply for replacement certificates or a statement of results, and I would recommend you do this, if only for your Maths and English GCSEs. If you can't remember what board you did your GCSEs with, call your old school as they should have a record of this even if they've not kept your grades. Edexcel are a pretty common board for Maths and AQA or WJEC seem to be most common for English. Here are the links to their replacement certificate sites:
    http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages...-students.aspx
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_records.php
    http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?nav=44

As for sneakily upping your grade, don't bother. If you get found out, you risk being booted off your course. Honesty's the best policy and some unis might be a bit lenient with you when it comes to grades as you're a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybeanjen)
    They do check them, regardless of how old you are or when you got your qualifications. I did my GCSEs in 2001, and since that time, I've had to provide proof of grades to both universities I've attended, as well as employers. Thar's why it's pretty damn important to keep your certificates in a safe place. I keep mine in a big concertina file with my passport, birth certificate, P45s and any other important papers you can think of so I only need to search one place when any proof of ID/qualification/employment is needed... I'd be buggered if that file got lost though lol!

You can apply for replacement certificates or a statement of results, and I would recommend you do this, if only for your Maths and English GCSEs. If you can't remember what board you did your GCSEs with, call your old school as they should have a record of this even if they've not kept your grades. Edexcel are a pretty common board for Maths and AQA or WJEC seem to be most common for English. Here are the links to their replacement certificate sites:
    http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/Pages...-students.aspx
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/p_records.php
    http://www.wjec.co.uk/index.php?nav=44

As for sneakily upping your grade, don't bother. If you get found out, you risk being booted off your course. Honesty's the best policy and some unis might be a bit lenient with you when it comes to grades as you're a mature student.
    Thanks for the wonderful reply. Will do all that. Thanks for taking your time to answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    You can get copies of certificates IIRC. I lost my Edexcel GCSE certificate and was able to get a copy. There is a cost though.

Don't lie on any application, not worth it. Even if they don't ask for it, why bother risking it. It's not like a D to a C makes much difference.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in lying? the universities could take back their offers if they found out. It is not worth it. I took mine in 2005 too but would never dream of changing the grades :eek:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.