Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guys, 8, 10, 12, do you really care what size? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    for your information Marylin Monroe was a size 16 and she's one of the most beautiful women that ever existed.

Oh, and there is a difference between being slightly overweight and being obese, so get it right before you start patronising.
    lol Marilyn Monroe is nothing close to a 16, she's more like a 10.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6044724.ece

agreed with people saying most guys usually can't tell between sizes, it's all relative to them - just smaller or bigger for the poor souls. tbh even i can't tell sizes, i'm a chick and i have retarded judgment when it comes to bodies (can never tell sizes/if people gain/lose weight). it's all about proportion and distribution, though most people would, and will flinch at a sight of a size 8 girl with a double chin, wobbly arms and/or stomach rolls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nissay)
    lol Marilyn Monroe is nothing close to a 16, she's more like a 10.

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle6044724.ece

agreed with people saying most guys usually can't tell between sizes, it's all relative to them - just smaller or bigger for the poor souls. tbh even i can't tell sizes, i'm a chick and i have retarded judgment when it comes to bodies (can never tell sizes/if people gain/lose weight). it's all about proportion and distribution, though most people would, and will flinch at a sight of a size 8 girl with a double chin, wobbly arms and/or stomach rolls.
    surely you wouldnt say this was a size 10?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1257727_f520.jpg

ReputationRep:
    surely you wouldnt say this was a size 10?

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1257727_f520.jpg
    the difference between her chest and waist was like 13 inches, in pictures it would've been hugely magnified. and i didn't say anything, in the article they say her vital stats was something like 36 24 36 or something.

edit: also while i don't quite have the godliness of Monroe's body, i do have huge massive thighs even though i'm size 8. means nothing really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i have nothing to be ashamed of

btw do you drink? smoke? take drugs? eat any junk food?
    You eat enough food to cause health problems,in a world where people die of starvation, and where disabled people would love to have a healthy body, whereas you eat yours into an early grave.
    And as for your questions; not excessively, no, no & nope. Either way you cannot try to use the argument of "who are you to judge me". You are still decadent and gluttonous by the definition of your lifestyle. Are these not morally deplorable traits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aem1990)
    i will learn to punctuate when you learn to spell (deal) i'm just trying to say that this is all your opinion and what about the so called fat people that have medical issues and are large because of them? i think your just being narrow minded and obviously your not going to change your opinion but you could at least take into account the opinions of others believe me doing that will give you a better understanding of life in general =]
    Oh being pedantic now, surely the sign of a brilliant mind...
    No, my opinion would be that I hate fat people. What is not my opinion are the definition of words:
    glut·ton·y
    Excess in eating or drinking.

dec·a·dent
    Being in a state of decline or decay e.g. poor health condition

Being obese means you are the above, unless you have a medical condition causing obesity. In that instance it's just hard luck. It is my opinion that these are poor moral traits in any human being. If you want to try to argue otherwise please explain how these could be positive characteristics.

ReputationRep:
    for your information Marylin Monroe was a size 16 and she's one of the most beautiful women that ever existed.

Oh, and there is a difference between being slightly overweight and being obese, so get it right before you start patronising.
    37-23-36 are her measurements - her size was down to build, and clearly she just had a great figure, whereas most size 16's are not going to have a flat stomach. So unless you want to try and say the average size 16 or 14 has the same figure as Monroe, your point is irrelevant.
    Overweight is still is overweight. Can you give a good reason for being overweight for a healthy person that doesn't come down to sheer laziness & gluttony? It's pathetic that people try and say "it's okay, I'm only a little obese". Unless medical reasons stop you, there is no reason in this day and age to be obese in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Yes size 14 does mean the person is carrying quite a fair bit of extra weight.
    The harm I could do? I'm pretty sure that obesity and denial are actually the main problems here, and it's hardly my fault that unfit people are ignoring what clearly is a problem.
    Why can I judge? Because I keep myself in shape by going to a gym 3 times a week for several hours, so why can't everyone else? That's why I can say to people that they should do something about your weight & be ashamed of being obese. If people are working on loosing weight that's truly great & a step in the right direction. If they aren't however, they should be ashamed of themselves.
    My point was that some people are a bit 'heavier' for mental health issues. You only seem to care about health when it's in physical form, and 'pleasing to the eye'. Besides, people's bodies work differently, some people can do all of that and not shift a pound. I can't see why you can't live and let live. If someone does have a weight issue you're not helping them by bulllying them into changing their ways. Perhaps you should consider changing your approach.

I think you should clearly define what you mean by the terms: 'Overweight' and 'Obese' in your opinion. People have different views, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any defined facts. Someone who knows their overweight can't be told that they're not and have a good figure, and then be told on some lame internet forum that their boarderline obese. I only have so many brain cells to waste.

ReputationRep:
    My stomach is flat, but im a sez 10-12. The reason for this is because my hips are so big!! There is nothing I can do about bone. By a lot of people's standards around here (as im only 5"5) id be chubby. But Im not.

Im toned, and often get compliments about my body. So sizes dont really matter, it depends on the body shape doesnt it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failed123)
    My point was that some people are a bit 'heavier' for mental health issues. You only seem to care about health when it's in physical form, and 'pleasing to the eye'. Besides, people's bodies work differently, some people can do all of that and not shift a pound. I can't see why you can't live and let live. If someone does have a weight issue you're not helping them by bulllying them into changing their ways. Perhaps you should consider changing your approach.

I think you should clearly define what you mean by the terms: 'Overweight' and 'Obese' in your opinion. People have different views, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any defined facts. Someone who knows their overweight can't be told that they're not and have a good figure, and then be told on some lame internet forum that their boarderline obese. I only have so many brain cells to waste.
    If you exercise and can't shift weight, you are doing it wrong, otherwise you are not human. Plus this isn't just about pleasing to the eye, it's about moral character. I'm amazed so many people are willing to be decadent and gluttonous, it's truly sickening. Most people have "weight issues" because they are too much of a wimp to actuall sort themselves out. Life has hardly been decent to me, but I'm not a spineless self centred fatty.
    Overweight is anyone who clearly is carrying more weight than is beneficial to them. There is no decent excuse, other than genuine medical reasons, to be obese in this day and age.

ReputationRep:
    guys, all you need to think about is do you fall into a health BMI (which i know is a bit flawed but generally works ok)... if you do and you exercise about 3 times a week then you have nothing to worry about!

If you fall into the overweight section, then do something about it! Im sorry but even if you exercise but are still classed as 'overweight'... then you need to up your exercise or cut down on the fatty foods... sometimes 'exercising so you can eat what you want'... is not the best way to go! Everything in moderation!

If you are used to eating big meals, then your stomach has stretched out to cope with this (which is why at xmas, you can eat more!)... if you start eating smaller meals, you will feel hungry for a day or so after eating but after a couple of days your stomach will have adapted and you'l start to feel full again after meals which are much smaller than usual Take this weekend, ive eaten shed loads of food and today ive had a normal sized lunch and i feel starving! But i know i'l go back to normal after a couple of days Try it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    dec·a·dent
    Being in a state of decline or decay e.g. poor health condition

in that case thats not me because there is nothing wrong with my heath as i said earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    37-23-36 are her measurements - her size was down to build, and clearly she just had a great figure, whereas most size 16's are not going to have a flat stomach. So unless you want to try and say the average size 16 or 14 has the same figure as Monroe, your point is irrelevant.
    Overweight is still is overweight. Can you give a good reason for being overweight for a healthy person that doesn't come down to sheer laziness & gluttony? It's pathetic that people try and say "it's okay, I'm only a little obese". Unless medical reasons stop you, there is no reason in this day and age to be obese in any way.
    Again, there is a difference between being slightly overweight and being obese. Overweight people have a BMI of over 25, obese people have a BMI of over 30. Even then, there are different degrees of obesity. you clearly know nothing about the matter anyway, there are plenty of good reasons why some people are overweight and it doesn't always come down to laziness. It's a complex thing and you can't just reduce it all down to one explanation.
    Furthermore, the average UK size for women is a 16- so you'd better get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    Again, there is a difference between being slightly overweight and being obese. Overweight people have a BMI of over 25, obese people have a BMI of over 30. Even then, there are different degrees of obesity. you clearly know nothing about the matter anyway, there are plenty of good reasons why some people are overweight and it doesn't always come down to laziness. It's a complex thing and you can't just reduce it all down to one explanation.
    Furthermore, the average UK size for women is a 16- so you'd better get used to it.
    Proof of this? I thought it was 12-14

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    my mistake- you're right. I think i just read it somewhere on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not fussed as long as they're not visibly obese, but it is a bit awkward if they are weigh visibly more than you.

ReputationRep:

http://www.blurtit.com/q531550.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    http://www.blurtit.com/q531550.html
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...14-715277.html

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...14-715277.html

yeah and what has it jumped to in this decade lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Stop making these stupid assumptions about people you don't even know, ok? :borat:
    This.

The truth is, everyone has their own opinion, and doesn't really care for anyone elses!

It depends on height, like some people have said. I'm a size 12 and 5'10, and I don't think I look fat. I'd look anorexic if I was a size 8! There's a common assumption that the thinner you are, the hotter you are. I'm aware of people going through it. Whilst this may sometimes be the case, I've seen some pretty rough looking size 6/8 girls...:cool:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigpinkcrayon.)
    There's a common assumption that the thinner you are, the hotter you are. .

yeah people automatically assume thin = hot which isnt the case

take two girls i know for example, ones a size 10 and the others a 14-16 both roughly the same height give or take an inch and IMO the bigger one is hotter

people seem to forget you can be thin but have a dog ugly face

for example

http://www.commentbuddy.com/comments...s_227_5922.jpg

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.