Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to join the RAF when I finish my A levels in June in something language related because I study French and Spanish. Does anyone know how long applications can take and what they entail? I really want to get started as soon as I can so I don't become idle but I've heard that it can take up to 3 years after the initial application to get accepted and if this is the case I will find something else to do.
    Help

ReputationRep:
    Hey there.

I'm joining the RAF soon too, so I'll give you some advice.

The three year wait, sounds a bit over exaggerated. But the process can take several months after your first application, especially now after defence budget cuts (less money for training).

What branch of the RAF are you thinking of joining? Officer? NCO?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I don't mind which position I have really but I would really love to work in Intelligence because I think I would really enjoy it. I do hope that one day I will be an Officer though.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence is a good branch, and there are a variety of jobs in it. If you look on the RAF Careers website (just Google it), you can have a look at the different types of language based roles...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/c...telligence.cfm

Do have a look at the entry requirements as well, so you know what you need etc.

Typically, any application of the RAF starts at an Armed Forces Careers Office, or AFCO (you can use the RAF Careers website to find your nearest one). Phone them up and arrange to talk to someone about what you want to do, and they will discuss the process with you along with any questions you may have.

If you want to continue, they will hand you an application form. Fill it in (perfectly), and hand it back. That will get your name on the system. Then they will contact you within a few weeks with an initial interview date, to take place at the AFCO.

The initial interview is important and you have to know a fair amount about the RAF, the British Armed Forces, NATO, current world issues etc etc. Again, if you meet up with an RAF Careers Officer at the AFCO, they will happily discuss what you will need to know for this interview and future selection interviews. You will also have to do some aptitude tests, a fitness test and a health assessment.

Now the selection process for NCOs and Officers is slightly different and the training takes place over a different time period at different RAF stations. So it depends really on what you decide to do.

There's only a certain amount I can really tell you, it's kinda up to you to do your homework. Have a look on the RAF careers website and arrange that chat with RAF Careers Officer.

Does this help?

ReputationRep:
    Typical, I typed loads of info for you, and TSR didn't send it properly. :mad:

My summary of advice is to get in contact with your local Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) and arrange a chat with an RAF Careers Officer. You can then find out exactly how the process works and what you need to know for interviews, aptitude tests, health assessments etc.

Do have a look on the RAF Careers website...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/

It has all the info about jobs and the selection process. You can also get an insight into the training side of it.

Specifically, here's a link to the Intelligence branch of the RAF...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/c...telligence.cfm

Sorry, I would of re-typed what I said before but I have to log off soon, so I don't have the time. If you have any questions though in the future, feel free to ask. I'm a Flight Sergeant with the Air Cadets so I've had all this information hammered into me a thousand times!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kim,

You might want to try the Armed Forces forum on here, we're a weird bunch but there's some great advice to be had in there:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Good luck and congratulations on choosing the best of the three services! :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the help guys
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by kim74)
    I'm looking to join the RAF when I finish my A levels in June in something language related because I study French and Spanish. Does anyone know how long applications can take and what they entail? I really want to get started as soon as I can so I don't become idle but I've heard that it can take up to 3 years after the initial application to get accepted and if this is the case I will find something else to do.
    Help
    Before anyone else leaps in and tears you apart, I'll try and take a moderate line. Joining any of the forces, but particularly the RAF is very competitive and takes a certain amount of specific research (available from the AFCO and here) and fitness training (up to you). Also, recruitment is strong at the moment, and places are few, hence it is taking some time to get a place right now.

'something language related' isn't strong enough, you need to work out exactly what. The RAF only has one dedicated language role, which is an NCA job and very difficult to get into. Research WSOp (L) or Linguist.

The RAF doesn't do 'I want to get in as soon as possible so I don't become idle'. It doesn't do peole who's mindset is a) job of last resort or b) can't work out things to stop myself becoming idle. Though I accept this might just have been a turn of phrase you used.

Probably best you go down to the AFCO and have a good look at the roles available and what you are qualified for. However, you won't be able to rush in, think 6 months minimum, easily a year, and jobs that use languages are scarce and French and Spanish, non existent as a career.

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, being a Francophone has earnt some of us a trip to Haiti! :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Having said that, being a Francophone has earnt some of us a trip to Haiti!
    Sure, earnt me a few jollies as well. But it certainly wasn't the foundation for a career. I knew a bloke who spoke fluent Finnish, but it still only got him a 3 year tour as the Defence Attaché in a 30 year career.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.