Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have heard a lot recently about people needing certain standards of degrees for certain jobs and most recently the Tories only want people with 2.2 or above as teachers. This raised a question in my mind.

Are uni degrees like A levels in as much as a Cambridge 2.1 say, should be worth the same as (and no offence here just as an example) a 2.1 from coventry university? I mean on one hand people talk about great job prospects at top institutions but on the other hand many graduate schemes for example just want a 2.1,no matter which uni it is.

I realise Unis exams/degrees are internal not national but are the standards across the country supposed to be equally hard? Therefore are there many more 1sts at oxbridge or other top unis?

Thanks,
    George

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maniacgeorge)
    I have heard a lot recently about people needing certain standards of degrees for certain jobs and most recently the Tories only want people with 2.2 or above as teachers. This raised a question in my mind.

Are uni degrees like A levels in as much as a Cambridge 2.1 say, should be worth the same as (and no offence here just as an example) a 2.1 from coventry university? I mean on one hand people talk about great job prospects at top institutions but on the other hand many graduate schemes for example just want a 2.1,no matter which uni it is.

I realise Unis exams/degrees are internal not national but are the standards across the country supposed to be equally hard? Therefore are there many more 1sts at oxbridge or other top unis?

Thanks,
    George
    There are so many issues here.

Firstly I do not think anyone with a 2:2 should be able to apply for a graduate scheme as it is highly irritating knowing a lazy git with a 2:2 can get a job for just performing well at an assessment centre.

Secondly it doesn't really work the way you suggested companies do look at which uni you graduate from. Apparently you can't do jobs like Investment Banking if you are not from a top tier university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)

Firstly I do not think anyone with a 2:2 should be able to apply for a graduate scheme as it is highly irritating knowing a lazy git with a 2:2 can get a job for just performing well at an assessment centre.

Secondly it doesn't really work the way you suggested companies do look at which uni you graduate from. Apparently you can't do jobs like Investment Banking if you are not from a top tier university.
    Thanks, but I guess my central point could be summed up as "Is a 1st class degree technically equally hard to obtain at any uni?

ReputationRep:
    To my mind it will vary.

My Bsc here is cohort graded, so getting 71% in my midterm exams was a 2:2, but in any other subject here (all others are marked my percentage) that would have been a first.

ReputationRep:
    just ask the organic chemist, they know everything

ReputationRep:
    Degree standards are not consistent across the board. I think thats a quite widely recognised fact.
    1st at Oxbridge doesn't equal a 1st at a new university such as your example, Coventry. However, as highlighted, I don't think the difference is as large as some may prefer to emphasise - a lot is down to snobbery. But yes, there is a difference. Hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)

Well that's the point of assessment centres: to offset any possible differences in standards between the degrees of various subjects and from various institutions. If you couldn't even work that out....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maniacgeorge)
    Are uni degrees like A levels in as much as a Cambridge 2.1 say, should be worth the same as (and no offence here just as an example) a 2.1 from coventry university?
    You're asking two different questions, firstly if all degrees are equally difficult and secondly are they valued equally by employers.

For the first question, there's no such thing as an abstract measure of difficulty. Degree courses vary significantly and your ability to do well on one degree may say little about your ability to do well on another degree.

The second question is more complex, some employers don't care about which university you went to, while others do. It varies a lot by industry and the level of competition.

But you're missing an important point, that the university you go to can have a significant impact in your employability that has nothing to do with your degree classification. For example a strong careers service or industry links can have a major impact. See for example Robert Gordon University, it's a pretty averagey university in most terms, but due to investment in careers services they achieved a very high graduate employment rate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by achard)
    Well that's the point of assessment centres: to offset any possible differences in standards between the degrees of various subjects and from various institutions. If you couldn't even work that out....
    I just feel that people can put on a show get a grad job and then be terrible at it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.