Turn on thread page Beta

Noisy Guy Upstairs is driving me insane watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am currently trying to revise for my exams I have over the next two weeks, and each day from about 11.30 am til 18.30 I have bassy music blaring out from upstairs. I can't revise at all - I have emailed the halls warden (he has done nothing) and then phoned reception yesterday which made him shut up for about half an hour. To add to this when I try to get some sleep at about 11.30pm he is playing music again - so I cant sleep either.

It is driving me mad and has been going on since the beginning of term. I put up with it because I dont want to be known as the "party pooper", what can I do?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe study in the library? It will definately be quieter in there and you will have less distractions.

ReputationRep:
    Hit the ceiling with a broomstick.

ReputationRep:
    Call campus security

Or bang on the ceiling.

ReputationRep:
    Actually going to reception might get better results than emailing/phoning, they can't just ignore you that way.

I would have thought that his other flatmates would get a bit irritated too after a while, could you speak to them, maybe they could 'look after' his speakers for a while...

Alternatively, find something really offensive/irritating, turn up the bass and let rip your own music.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I know how you feel a lot of the time.
    Get some earplugs, they work wonders.

ReputationRep:
    Play some freaky music to make him stop.
    love abit of passive-agressive action.

ReputationRep:
    Smash his head in, then burn his sound system/computer.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the library or a study area It's not his fault you want to study, he isn't playing music when you are sleeping lol

+ Whoops! Read it again. Just say something to him, usually people stop when they realise they re iritating someone. Most people won't think of you as a party pooper tbh

ReputationRep:
    Study area. If you have to stay in your room, either get earplugs, or listen to white noise on your earphones

ReputationRep:
    Report him again but make them listen to you. Tell them you have exams. During the exam period my halls are very strict about noise and don't tolerate any! xx

ReputationRep:
    Have you met him? Does he seem like a nice guy?

Last year I had this for all three terms (he quietened a little during exams, luckily). He was next door to me, not above. It really got to me, but when I did pluck up the guts to stop being proud (I didn't want to be seen as a party pooper either!), he did shut up whenever I knocked on his door. I put my iPod speakers in the kitchen (not too valuable luckily) and asked him to please use the kitchen as I didn't want to be unreasonable but I HAD to study, and we were 40mins walk away from the library/uni so it wasn't always possible for me to go out. He was nice about it, although he wasn't naturally considerate (I still had to repeatedly ask him to be quiet, he didn't think about it on his own). It was a HUGE improvement though OP.

If you haven't met him, I suggest going in person to the hall warden, and asking them to come and ask the guy to be quiet - or ask if he could let you into the flat above so you could talk to him. Go with him, and have a chat with the guy himself when you go into his flat (I assume it's got a lock). Or, just knock on his flat's/his door. People always react better when someone's made the effort to be nice, pleasant and reasonable with them. (I realise that he's being unreasonable so I didn't mean that to sound horrible!)

I hope it gets better OP, it was hell for me last year. x

ReputationRep:
    if he starts again go up there and boot his door down

ReputationRep:
    Ask the Hall Warden again... If he does nothing report the him, part of their duty is to ensure that people are considerate towards others....

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to student accommodation.

Go to the library. You shouldn't have to, but these are the things you deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodmen)
    Go to the library. You shouldn't have to, but these are the things you deal with.
    Not if you are in university halls... The university will deal with the individual, although generally it's asked that you ask politely first.

ReputationRep:
    If you are staying in university accommodation then make a complaint to the uni staff. If you are staying outside then you might want to go library and avoid "noisy hours" then come back later when everybody's quiet to continue your study .

Good luck with the exams by the way

ReputationRep:
    Go to the library when studying and then phone/email reception if he is noisy when he gets back.

I don't understand the mindset of these people. Surely they are aware that they are causing a great deal of inconvenience to others?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I don't understand the mindset of these people. Surely they are aware that they are causing a great deal of inconvenience to others?
    Some people don't give a ****.:rolleyes: According to my hall"mates", in the contract it says "make as much as you wish between 8am & 11pm". It says no such thing.

Oh, and they whinge because they can hear me get up in the morning. (I am not that noisy - all I do is go into the kitchen, make some breakfast and a snack for uni, sit in my room for a bit and then leave)

I've got this problem - they only make nosie when they KNOW I'm up early the next morning. They couldn't care less about me. Yet, one of them has moaned that she can't study. Did dums.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.