The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ballerinabetty
I believe that GEP is a better idea then the 5yr course.
please note: med school still love there 5yr students :wink: you are all awsome. the above is more about the reasons why GEM is a good idea than who is the best or worst.

Right, firstly I must point oyut your bias, you could only apply to GEM due to your inability to get decent A levels. Furthermore the two sentences I picked out of your post, shows how utterly stupid you must be (I underlined them for you)

On a personal note, does it really make sense to be taking mature applicants in large numbers, due to the reduced amount of work years they can give back to the NHS? If we say the adverage school leaver takes 15 years inc med school to become a consultant (this is very optimistic I assume) then you would get 31 years of consultancy, which does not take into account that elder doctors may not be able to perform their roles, i.e. certain surgery may not be suitable for a 60 year old of average health to perform. So what we are doing is cutting the 'value' for money to the taxpayer by almost 1/6, which is alot. Just my musings, I will allow myself to sit on the fence, catagorically damning something is usually the easiest way to look stupid afterall.
Reply 21
Single Malt
Right, firstly I must point oyut your bias, you could only apply to GEM due to your inability to get decent A levels. Furthermore the two sentences I picked out of your post, shows how utterly stupid you must be (I underlined them for you)

Oh dear. I really hope someone as narrow minded and mean as you are not actually in medical school. Boooo to you for being so nasty. :rant:
foxyamy
Oh dear. I really hope someone as narrow minded and mean as you are not actually in medical school. Boooo to you for being so nasty. :rant:

sorry, she clearly is stupid.

She states x is better than y, then states at the end, I am not saying y is not as good as x.

i.e. she says

x>y
then
x≥y
Single Malt

sorry where did you hear about my Alevel results???
Single Malt
catagorically damning something is usually the easiest way to look stupid afterall.

Single Malt

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
fortysixandtwo
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Damn, you got me there, rep to you.
ballerinabetty
sorry where did you hear about my Alevel results???

on your page...

Alevel: media - B, art - C, biology - E

Thats right, during my gap year I am working as a private detective:rolleyes:
Single Malt

She states x is better than y, then states at the end, I am not saying y is not as good as x.

i.e. she says

x>y
then
x≥y

i love how you believe everything you read on the internet. all thoes As and your still sucked in by what you read online. love it.
Single Malt
on your page...

Alevel: media - B, art - C, biology - E

Thats right, during my gap year I am working as a private detective:rolleyes:

oh yes because my profile is 100% true. your so funny.
give up the detective work... your rubbish at it.
ballerinabetty
oh yes because my profile is 100% true. your so funny.
give up the detective work... your rubbish at it.

What would be the point of lying? Do you have some sort of pathological problem with telling the truth?
Single Malt
What would be the point of lying? Do you have some sort of pathological problem with telling the truth?

i know a lot of people on TSR get really annoyed if someone with rubbish results has an opinion. i do it to laugh at how judgemental and gullible people are.
its the internet. people lie all the time get over it.
Single Malt

On a personal note, does it really make sense to be taking mature applicants in large numbers, due to the reduced amount of work years they can give back to the NHS? If we say the adverage school leaver takes 15 years inc med school to become a consultant (this is very optimistic I assume) then you would get 31 years of consultancy, which does not take into account that elder doctors may not be able to perform their roles, i.e. certain surgery may not be suitable for a 60 year old of average health to perform. So what we are doing is cutting the 'value' for money to the taxpayer by almost 1/6, which is alot. Just my musings, I will allow myself to sit on the fence, catagorically damning something is usually the easiest way to look stupid afterall.

Sir. I believe you are talking out of your rear end :yes: .
Reply 32
Single Malt

i.e. she says

x>y
then
x≥y

I think (unlike you) it's just that she has some tact and was trying to be nice so as not to upset those on 5 year courses :stupid:
Reply 33
People, stop fighting in threads. Do it on PM if you must.

@OP: You forgot one category of people that do GEM:

People from other countries that have an educational system so stupid that they cannot choose what exams they are going to take and wouldn't stand a chance against people who do A-levels.
Reply 34
Single Malt

Mate your not even at medical school. Because if you were you would KNOW that the graduate students are the more hardworking, more balanced, more interesting, and more clever than A level students! I am an A level student so I am not biased, though many of my friends are post grads!

Its not ******* hard to get A's at A level, I think back and think they were taking the piss memorising mark schemes was a sure fire way to get A's! You cant do that when you get to medical schools! The graduates have shown real commitment to go through three years of university most of them doing Biomedicine (one of the hardest degrees in the world). Just wait till you get here you will see the difference between us, I am a awful student compared to my post grad mates (On average the A level students are always in the bottom quartiles whereas the Grad students are always in the top quartiles) In my opinion we should move to an american system where it is a post graduate course only!

I see you have applied to durham, all the best, though I would advise you thoroughly to change your opinion on mature medics (not to mention Durham's intake is 50% postgrads) They are exactly that and we are certainly somewhat the immature ones, and at the end of the day I know who I want as my doctor, and its certainly not someone who has come straight from A levels!
Reply 35
shaz111
at the end of the day I know who I want as my doctor, and its certainly not someone who has come straight from A levels!

This comment does seem a little foolish in my humble opinion.

There may well be a difference in diligence between GEM and undergrad med students, but post graduation i don't think there is really a difference. I certainly don't know which of my colleagues are GEM and which are not just from working with them.
foxyamy
I think (unlike you) it's just that she has some tact and was trying to be nice so as not to upset those on 5 year courses :stupid:

thank you
shaz111
Mate your not even at medical school. Because if you were you would KNOW that the graduate students are the more hardworking, more balanced, more interesting, and more clever than A level students! I am an A level student so I am not biased, though many of my friends are post grads!

Incredibly subjective, 'more balanced and interesting', what are you, the final arbiter of someones personality? Bare in mind, I did not describe either as better than the other in a clinical/competency/work sense.

Its not ******* hard to get A's at A level, I think back and think they were taking the piss memorising mark schemes was a sure fire way to get A's! You cant do that when you get to medical schools!

Certainly, A levels are reasonably simple, however that opens the question of why such people did not suceed the first time, I like to think it was a poor work ethos, something I also had during GCSE's.

The graduates have shown real commitment to go through three years of university most of them doing Biomedicine (one of the hardest degrees in the world). Just wait till you get here you will see the difference between us, I am a awful student compared to my post grad mates (On average the A level students are always in the bottom quartiles whereas the Grad students are always in the top quartiles) In my opinion we should move to an american system where it is a post graduate course only!

Yep, because one person and their opinion make for fact:rolleyes:

I see you have applied to durham, all the best, though I would advise you thoroughly to change your opinion on mature medics (not to mention Durham's intake is 50% postgrads) They are exactly that and we are certainly somewhat the immature ones, and at the end of the day I know who I want as my doctor, and its certainly not someone who has come straight from A levels!

I don't have a stance on Grad medics versus normal, infact I specifically stated that:rolleyes: The only difference I mentioned was between the two were relative cost to train versus years of service available. Frankly I find your dogmatic view on graduate medics for some reason being superior in every shape and form a bit to radical to be believable. Anyway, arguably such purported difference in behaviour is the result of graduates being older, something which school leavers will eventually see happening to them.

Egypt
This comment does seem a little foolish in my humble opinion.

There may well be a difference in diligence between GEM and undergrad med students, but post graduation i don't think there is really a difference. I certainly don't know which of my colleagues are GEM and which are not just from working with them.

i think you are right. after graduation you cannot really tell. when i see/talk to doctors now i feel it is irrelevant how they got into med school as long as they passed and are practising safely.

the opinion that i stated in my earlier post was someone elses. my personal opinion is that mature students are better only because they have more life experiance. i am sure toward your final years of med school that you would not be able to tell the differance because all of the alevelers are by that time in thier 20s.

GEM is a good idea because it brings a different kind of person to the field.
Its convenient that now enough people have challenged your opinion that you claim your previous sentiments were 'someone elses'...

Latest

Trending

Trending