Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    in november 2009 i had an operation and many doctors were responsible for treating me. from the view of a patient i definitely noticed the difference between the doctor who entered via GEM and those who entered straight. the particular doctors i am talking about were all F1s and the GEM spent more time talking to me and understanding how i was feeling than the others. when building up that doctor patient relationship with me the GEM generally just spent more time listening and talking to me and trying to understand what i was feeling instead of the others. the ones straight out will probably learn in time though. im all for GEM and think more palces should be allocated to graduates and i think it is the way the future of medicine is going but in some ways i think it would not be good to have a system similar to america where everyone has to go through GEM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    you seem to have this real beef about people not passing there Alevels first time, what is that about?

why does everyone have to decide to go into medicine at age 18 and get the Alevels there and then?

i think when you are 25 you will relise than a lot of your teenage opinions and dreams will have changed. you may decide in a few years time that you want to do english instead. then you will be in the situation where you do not have the right alevels(first time). there is nothing the matter with that you just grew into something else.
    i did not apply to medicine when i was 18 because i didnt want to. 5 years later, i feel i can make a different career choice.

ReputationRep:
    Its convenient that now enough people have challenged your opinion that you claim your previous sentiments were 'someone elses'...
    read the first post i made in this tread again. you will see i have stated from the begining that that opinion was a family memebers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    in november 2009 i had an operation and many doctors were responsible for treating me. from the view of a patient i definitely noticed the difference between the doctor who entered via GEM and those who entered straight.
    Fair enough. I must admit though, I have never been asked by a single patient what my entry route to medicine was, and I have never discussed it with any patients. I don't think they would have a clue either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egypt)
    Fair enough. I must admit though, I have never been asked by a single patient what my entry route to medicine was, and I have never discussed it with any patients. I don't think they would have a clue either way.
    on one of the ward rounds the lead consultant who has treated me for many years brought medical school admissions up so i told them i was starting in 2010 and it went from there. i find it quite interesting to hear about the experiences of grads :p: i agree with you though, most patients are not that concerned about training routes and it is probably not something i would talk to doctors about if i was not going into medicine myself ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    you seem to have this real beef about people not passing there Alevels first time, what is that about?

why does everyone have to decide to go into medicine at age 18 and get the Alevels there and then?

i think when you are 25 you will relise than a lot of your teenage opinions and dreams will have changed. you may decide in a few years time that you want to do english instead. then you will be in the situation where you do not have the right alevels(first time). there is nothing the matter with that you just grew into something else.
    i did not apply to medicine when i was 18 because i didnt want to. 5 years later, i feel i can make a different career choice.
    I've never stated I disagree with people doing GEM medicine, in fact I think places should be available for such people who have career changes. I am non-plussed at the idea that people who knew they wanted to do medicine at the start of their A levels and were too lazy or incompetent to do what was neccesary of them.

You definitely are trying to put words into my mouth about GEM to try and muster up discontent around me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    in november 2009 i had an operation and many doctors were responsible for treating me. from the view of a patient i definitely noticed the difference between the doctor who entered via GEM and those who entered straight....
    Interesting stuff. It will also be interesting when the first cohort of combined MBBS4 and MBBS5 students from here hit the working world.

Previously GEP and the MBBS5 year courses were completely separate, however last years GEPS (now 2nd years) have merged with the 3rd years from the 5 year course and will do the same 3 clinical years as those MBBS5s.

So really we should all end up with the same clinical training. The only difference between the 2 courses now is that we do 1 year of Basic clinical science and the 5 years do 2.

ReputationRep:
    There are many reasons that people get poor A levels which are nothing at all to do with 'poor work ethos' as you put it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never stated I disagree with people doing GEM medicine, in fact I think places should be available for such people who have career changes. I am non-plussed at the idea that people who knew they wanted to do medicine at the start of their A levels and were too lazy or incompetent to do what was neccesary of them.

You definitely are trying to put words into my mouth about GEM to try and muster up discontent around me.
    This is not always the case. Many things happen in peoples lives that are out of their control that can effect their performance during exam periods.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.