Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR="Purple"]Just out of curiousity, I would like to know the opinion of TSR members on which of these two universities will give me a better shot at a career in IB- front, middle or operations. Durham to study business/ business finance or Loughborough for computing and management? Genuine suggestions please...
    p.s: I know there's a trend to compare unis here but haven't seen anything comparing these two and haven't got a lot of information about loughborough in the arena of IB. Cheers
    [/
    COLOR]

ReputationRep:
    Durham, by a mile.

ReputationRep:
    Really with that question? Check the stickied threads...

ReputationRep:
    Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    Loughborough
    WTF do you even know? You don't even go to university. Just because you applied fo Lboro does not make it the better place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthecoast)
    WTF do you even know? You don't even go to university. Just because you applied fo Lboro does not make it the better place!
    Ummm... chill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsHamster)
    Ummm... chill?
    Why? The guy is giving blatantly wrong, uninformed information to someone that may use it to make a choice of university...

ReputationRep:
    Really with that question? Check the stickied threads...
    I've checked the other threads, says nothing about these two specifically and I asked for genuine suggestions....you either wish to answer or you don't.If you haven't got a suggestion between the two then please don't waste my time.

ReputationRep:
    Why? The guy is giving blatantly wrong, uninformed information to someone that may use it to make a choice of university...
    So go on, share some of your almighty knowledge and explain why Durham is quite clearly a better choice...

ReputationRep:
    I've been to plenty of interviews and assessment centres (and received offers) and have NEVER seen a single Lboro person... and have seen durham peeps. Granted this is for front office... no idea about MO or BO

ReputationRep:
    So which do YOU think is better. I know a lot about Durham and its history..its DUIF society etc just haven't got the same sort of info about loughborough...been there once, know its decent but in terms of the industry don't know what group of employers they regularly attract.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone at Durham will say Durham, anyone at Loughborough will say Loughborough. Unless there's anyone who has studied at both universities and therefore can give a balanced opinion as to which is better then any answer in this thread will be pretty useless.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to plenty of interviews and assessment centres (and received offers) and have NEVER seen a single Lboro person... and have seen durham peeps. Granted this is for front office... no idea about MO or BO
    Cool, just don't want to make it any harder for myself than it probably already is... obviously durham isn't exactly Oxbridge or LSE but if means I'm digging a hole for myself by picking loughborough then the choice is easier than I thought

Quite clearly Loughborough.

Anyone who says Durham is deluded.

ReputationRep:

So there are more people from Durham than from Loughborough looking for jobs? Glad I'm at Loughborough...

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't think Loughborough should be automatically cast aside in the manner someone on this thread has suggested, I think Durham is a more solid choice in terms of employability and that sad old term, reputation. :shifty:

Why not visit both places and try and decide which you like best?

ReputationRep:
    As a Loughborough applicant I know that Durham may have a slight edge, very small, this is been compiled through talking to people on here, my 2 cousins who work for BarCap and Morgan Stanely respectfully and looking at IB websites.

Loughborough actually does get a fair few into Investment Banking, especially thanks to their placement years. Durham IMO is only known for it's History and have heard that their graduate prospectus does not match their prestige, whether their students aren't career focussed or them being North-East has anything to do with it I have no idea.

So OP, IMO, and I stress IMO, Durham will give you the slight edge, but if you to Lboro, get a good placement with an IB, get into the top Sports teams etc then I reckon you would have a better shot.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    So there are more people from Durham than from Loughborough looking for jobs? Glad I'm at Loughborough...
    Yeah, that's totally what it means..

ReputationRep:
    Durham.. by a fair margin

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.