The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hamzab
As a Loughborough applicant I know that Durham may have a slight edge, very small, this is been compiled through talking to people on here, my 2 cousins who work for BarCap and Morgan Stanely respectfully and looking at IB websites.

Loughborough actually does get a fair few into Investment Banking, especially thanks to their placement years. Durham IMO is only known for it's History and have heard that their graduate prospectus does not match their prestige, whether their students aren't career focussed or them being North-East has anything to do with it I have no idea.

So OP, IMO, and I stress IMO, Durham will give you the slight edge, but if you to Lboro, get a good placement with an IB, get into the top Sports teams etc then I reckon you would have a better shot.

Good luck!

Nice one hamzab, you've given me some food for thought. If it makes any sense, my head's leaning towards Durham because if its giving me a career advantage to go there regardless how small then thats where I probably should go- the location's a big minus though, but my heart's leaning towards Lboro because from what I've seen and heard its generally a more sociable university (which might also be a factor in terms of networking)....
Do you know if any of the big ones go to fairs at Lboro and if there's an investment/finance society there?
Reply 41
PorcineAviation
How many of them were studying Business though?

Durham is great for History, English and... well, that's it. But for pretty much everything else it's ****.

Fair enough, Durham is better for Arts than Business, I know as I studied English Lit there. But you must know by now, course concentration = less important than uni prestige.
Reply 42
Durham by miles
Reply 43
aeonflux
I haven't studied at Oxford or at Thames Valley, but I can tell you fairly confidently that Oxford would be the better choice.

Clearly Durham is better than Loughborough.

I don't think thats a fair assessment....the difference between them is probably marginal if anything.To be honest I'm not too sure though, thats why I've come here for some opinions
Reply 44
PorcineAviation

Durham is great for History, English and... well, that's it. But for pretty much everything else it's ****.

So are you implying that the people loggins knows who have gotten into IB via Durham studied the arts? I find that hard to believe
Reply 45
The major point people in favour of Lboro keep bringing up is the placement year offered.Don't Durham offer the same. So what is the difference, is it longer at Loughborough or in a better organisation or..? Someone please explain why they think the placement at Lboro is such an important factor it gives a student more of an advantage than the Durham counterpart who also had some time in industry.
Reply 46
Soarin
So are you implying that the people loggins knows who have gotten into IB via Durham studied the arts? I find that hard to believe

No. They've studied economics, sciences or engineering. Some have also studied arts.
To be perfectly frank, Durham is good and known for that stuff -- I think banks do see through that Business is at the Stockton campus and that it is easier to get in, etc..

Still.. Durham has my vote.
Reply 47
Prince of Zamunda
Academically, both universities may be comparable (I have no idea about the academic prestige of both institutions and would rather avoid that debate), but for front office representation in Investment Banking (which is OP's question as a fair number of you seem to be missing the point completely), Durham by a HUGE mile.

Nice one, thats really helpful
Reply 48
Soarin

No most of them were Maths or Science students, but people like myself with more unusual backgrounds can still make it.
Reply 49
onthecoast
No. They've studied economics, sciences or engineering. Some have also studied arts.
To be perfectly frank, Durham is good and known for that stuff -- I think banks do see through that Business is at the Stockton campus and that it is easier to get in, etc..

Still.. Durham has my vote.

Cool, I didn't apply for economics (because I know the competition there's fierce) as I didn't do it at Alevel,got an A at GCSE's though and was never really interested in engineering or the sciences. If you're saying their arts students have got a chance at making it into IB (a better one than Lboro ones that have even studied a more 'appropriate' course) then surely business students should have at least the same if not a better chance. Do you agree? Or are you just basically saying any degree from Durham is better than any degree from Lboro to get a foot in the door? Or rather that any of the more 'traditional' subjects from Durham (of which business isn't a part) is better than whatever Lboro has to offer, ? Please explain
Reply 50
Soarin
Cool, I didn't apply for economics (because I know the competition there's fierce) as I didn't do it at Alevel,got an A at GCSE's though and was never really interested in engineering or the sciences. If you're saying their arts students have got a chance at making it into IB (a better one than Lboro ones that have even studied a more 'appropriate' course) then surely business students should have at least the same if not a better chance. Do you agree? Or are you just basically saying any degree from Durham is better than any degree from Lboro to get a foot in the door? Or rather that any of the more 'traditional' subjects from Durham (of which business isn't a part) is better than whatever Lboro has to offer, ? Please explain

In a nutshell Prestige of Uni>Course. Therfore easier for a Geography student at Oxford to get in then a Economic student at Loughborough. Because of prestige etc not necessarily the better candidate, I was almost swayed by this but the reason I chose to do it was, even at a top 15 Uni such as Loughborough os due to the exit opportunities after, geography degree is limited, I study it at A level so unless your Uni isn't prestigious in the top 6 it'll be hard to land a job with a degree like that however with Economics I can get my 1st from Loughborough with a year long internship at a 2nd tier bank, with that money apply for an MSC Econ/Finance/IR etc at UCL, LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick Cass making me more employable.

Just some food for thought, don't do a course because you think it's easier to get into therfore implying that it's easier to study, it could be very different resulting in a waste of money and more importantly your time.
PorcineAviation

Sorry. You clearly haven't a clue (about it being **** for everything else not the OPs question). It has one of the top GLOBAL Physics research centres.

I study Maths at Durham, it is consistently placed in the top 5 for this.

I have a job in FO at a BB, and have only been rejected by DB throughout the entire grad application process. Every other BB bank I turned down interviews for as I'd signed an offer.

Having said all this, I personally wouldn't study Business at Durham if you wanted to get into FO IB. It isn't that well regarded and you'd have to study at Stockton. You'd probably be okay for back office, though this is still very competitive so wouldn't confirm this.
Soarin
The major point people in favour of Lboro keep bringing up is the placement year offered.Don't Durham offer the same. So what is the difference, is it longer at Loughborough or in a better organisation or..? Someone please explain why they think the placement at Lboro is such an important factor it gives a student more of an advantage than the Durham counterpart who also had some time in industry.

I know a guy doing Economics and Finance at Durham doing a placement year. Not sure if that is typical of that course though.
Reply 53
Durham, by a country mile. Prestige, the course is more related to IB, etc.

But saying that, I know a finalist at Loughborough who has secured a FO role at a BB. What's more, he studies Politics with English. He's in the library every day and more than likely going to achieve a First, but he still represents the university in a sport, does a bunch of other non-finance related ECs and basically knows his stuff about IB.

The moral is that if you're good enough, are an interesting person and can show you have a desire for IB, the uni won't matter (as much).
Reply 54
Durham...and I haven't applied to either!
Durham, obviously, like who goes to Loughborough? Only northern people.
greenyblue_eyes
Sorry. You clearly haven't a clue (about it being **** for everything else not the OPs question). It has one of the top GLOBAL Physics research centres.

Yeah, I imagine the PHD students love it.
you should take a number of factors into account. i applied to read international business at loughborough but before doing so i was considering applying to durham. however, looking at the subject league tables, you will notice how down the raking durham is for business whilst loughborough is always in the top 15 or even better. what is more, you should consider that business at durham university is taught in stockton and not in the main durham campus.
also i don't know about durham, but loughborough offers you the possibility to have a placement year during your degree and also study abroad, which will significantly enhance your chances of getting a good job.
then again, the choice is totally up to you!
Reply 58
Durham by a country mile. However, a 'Business' degree at any university isnt fondly looked upon by any IB. Its possible to get into IB from any universitiy, including L'boro, Nottingham Trent, Man Met.. it just wont be a top tier, nor will it be easy. Youd have to be an exceptional student, with an exceptional CV in order to even get an interview over the number of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial students that apply. After those 6, it generally comes down to Nottingham/Bristol/Durham, but highly dependent upon the course.

With regard to the OP. If you want to do FO, youd have a better chance with IBs at Durham doing a relatively mathematical or analytical course, not at Loughborough.
Ill echo what many others have posted before.. prestige of the university counts for a hell of a lot.
Reply 59
JakeF
Durham by a country mile. However, a 'Business' degree at any university isnt fondly looked upon by any IB. Its possible to get into IB from any universitiy, including L'boro, Nottingham Trent, Man Met.. it just wont be a top tier, nor will it be easy. Youd have to be an exceptional student, with an exceptional CV in order to even get an interview over the number of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick/Imperial students that apply. After those 6, it generally comes down to Nottingham/Bristol/Durham, but highly dependent upon the course.

With regard to the OP. If you want to do FO, youd have a better chance with IBs at Durham doing a relatively mathematical or analytical course, not at Loughborough.
Ill echo what many others have posted before.. prestige of the university counts for a hell of a lot.

Lol at how you think Loughborough's closest rivals are Trent and Met, I.E Ex-poly's.

Latest

Trending

Trending