Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Lol at how you think Loughborough's closest rivals are Trent and Met, I.E Ex-poly's.
    he didn't even SUGGEST such a ludicrous thing... he's just saying most universities have a way in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthecoast)
    he didn't even SUGGEST such a ludicrous thing... he's just saying most universities have a way in.
    Sorry If I misinterpreted it, it's just leaving such a huge gap Lboro........................... ......... Notts Trent, Leeds Met etc theerfore that's what I thought he was implying.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Durham. Loughborough may be fine for Big 4 audit or similar, but you're talking IB here.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Durham. Loughborough may be fine for Big 4 audit or similar, but you're talking IB here.
    :laugh: - Which idiot negged me for this? At least have the balls to leave your name. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Durham sucks at Business and EVERYONE (especially the employers) knows it, so the uni's name won't give you slightest advantage, if not even worse than Loughborough. And you seem obviously prefer Loughborough much much better than Durham, so go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Lol at how you think Loughborough's closest rivals are Trent and Met, I.E Ex-poly's.
    Im from the area originally so i know L'boro and Trent, and unless it has changed considerably in the past few years since i left school, Luffbra was (in)famous for Art Foundations and Sports 'degrees', and generally didnt figure on many other peoples lists for any other subject. Never knew they were that big on other courses..

I wasnt meaning to class ex polys in the same group as Luffbra, even if it did appear as such..they were just the first two that came to mind. (forgive my apparent snobbery here) (though hasnt Luffbra only been a uni since the mid 60s..?)

Im ready to be corrected..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Im from the area originally so i know L'boro and Trent, and unless it has changed considerably in the past few years since i left school, Luffbra was (in)famous for Art Foundations and Sports 'degrees', and generally didnt figure on many other peoples lists for any other subject. Never knew they were that big on other courses..

I wasnt meaning to class ex polys in the same group as Luffbra, even if it did appear as such..they were just the first two that came to mind. (forgive my apparent snobbery here) (though hasnt Luffbra only been a uni since the mid 60s..?)

Im ready to be corrected..?
    Your right, it is known for it's sporting culture thanks to the amount of elite international sports men and women who train there but over the past 10-15 years it has climbed up and now as an applicant I have chosen it over Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds etc who have been Unis for much longer, the age of a Uni shouldnt really be a factor, Warwick too has been a uni since the mid 60s but blows the aforementioned unis out of the water!

Loughborough now is brilliant for Engineering, easily in the top 5, I was going to do Aero Eng and Loughborough would be my top choice but fell in Love with Econ.

So I think Loughborough is miles better than the polys, easily on par with the likes of the red bricks such as Birmingham, Manchester, Soton etc, but not quite the likes of Notts, Durham etc.

ReputationRep:
    Your right, it is known for it's sporting culture thanks to the amount of elite international sports men and women who train there but over the past 10-15 years it has climbed up and now as an applicant I have chosen it over Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds etc who have been Unis for much longer, the age of a Uni shouldnt really be a factor, Warwick too has been a uni since the mid 60s but blows the aforementioned unis out of the water!

Loughborough now is brilliant for Engineering, easily in the top 5, I was going to do Aero Eng and Loughborough would be my top choice but fell in Love with Econ.

So I think Loughborough is miles better than the polys, easily on par with the likes of the red bricks such as Birmingham, Manchester, Soton etc, but not quite the likes of Notts, Durham etc.
    I stand corrected on some fronts then. Understandable that it could possibly be chosen over Leeds and Brum, but over Manchester? Also Loughborough = Southampton = Manchester? Controversial to say the least. But then I guess its course dependent.

As for the age thing, yes, Warwick negates any age argument, but i was using the age thing as a way of saying 'College to Uni' is not that much dissimilar from 'Poly to Uni'.. surely?

ReputationRep:
    PS. Have you EVER been to Loughborough? a market town? Its one of the most dullest places on earth when its not term time. Its as much of a student town as Leamington Spa is for Warwick, in fact, id say more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    I stand corrected on some fronts then. Understandable that it could possibly be chosen over Leeds and Brum, but over Manchester? Also Loughborough = Southampton = Manchester? Controversial to say the least. But then I guess its course dependent.

As for the age thing, yes, Warwick negates any age argument, but i was using the age thing as a way of saying 'College to Uni' is not that much dissimilar from 'Poly to Uni'.. surely?
    Yes sorry, meant course specific, I would go to Loughborough over them for Economics, Finance, Engineering and Business related courses any day, if however I followed another one of my desires and wanted to do a degree in History or politics I would choose Manchester over Loughborough in a click of fingers so very much course specific

Are you an applicant or are you at University? If so which one and what are you studying?

I have visited Loughborough quite a few times, loved the campus, the people and the social life halls aspect, I have also lived in Leamington Spa for a short amount of time whilst I did the National Academy of Gifted and Talented Youth school at Warwick, that's why I mentioned it a few times, have a scholarship from them and have visited them and stayed many many times.

Don't understand your last bit in bold.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering you took a little offence to the fact I seemed to compare Loughborough to ex polys, i was using the fact you were implying a Poly to Uni status is obviously in your eyes a slightly negative thing. I took this a little further and suggested that a 'college to uni' change (which L'boro is) cant be much better. Just a train of thought...

I am not an applicant, i left school in 2006. Im at UCL in my final year, doing Economics. I applied to Cambridge (got pooled and offered second interviews at a different college but rejected it.. Cambridge wasnt for me believe it or not), LSE (who are VERY GCSE-centric it seems), and i got offers from Warwick, Bristol and Durham, all for Econ.

As for the L'boro vs Leamington in terms of excitement, i guess im just a little biased and spoilt after 3 years in London..

ReputationRep:
    For want of sounding a little condescending and patronising. If youre going to do Economics at university, unless its one of UCL, LSE, Warwick, Oxbridge, Bristol the courses tend to be very maths-averse and less rigorous than competitors (compared courses).. Hence why they are BA and not BSc.

If you want IB, and you want to do Economics/Finance/Engineering, just please make sure its a BSc and not a BA.. the maths element of any analytical degree like that is vital for IB.

Just my 2p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Well considering you took a little offence to the fact I seemed to compare Loughborough to ex polys, i was using the fact you were implying a Poly to Uni status is obviously in your eyes a slightly negative thing. I took this a little further and suggested that a 'college to uni' change (which L'boro is) cant be much better. Just a train of thought...

I am not an applicant, i left school in 2006. Im at UCL in my final year, doing Economics. I applied to Cambridge (got pooled and offered second interviews at a different college but rejected it.. Cambridge wasnt for me believe it or not), LSE (who are VERY GCSE-centric it seems), and i got offers from Warwick, Bristol and Durham, all for Econ.

As for the L'boro vs Leamington in terms of excitement, i guess im just a little biased and spoilt after 3 years in London..
    Just out of interest, I didn't know we could apply to 6 different universities in 2006. Why did they reduce the number to five? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea why they changed it down to 5. To be honest, in my case, 6 was too many, i only applied to Bristol/Durham to make up the numbers.. I actually applied post A-Level along with the year below during 2006/2007.. went to China in my gap year. Lets just say, complacency and cruising after GCSEs does not help AS Level results..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I basically used York and Bristol as filler applications on mine, 6 was too many!

EDIT: Also, I'm amazed that I can still log into my UCAS, haha, I just tried it and it works still - application sent November 2005!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Yeah, I basically used York and Bristol as filler applications on mine, 6 was too many!

EDIT: Also, I'm amazed that I can still log into my UCAS, haha, I just tried it and it works still - application sent November 2005!

Amazed you still even remember your track number, etc..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthecoast)
    Amazed you still even remember your track number, etc..
    Lol, I have a knack for remembering numbers for a very long time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    For want of sounding a little condescending and patronising. If youre going to do Economics at university, unless its one of UCL, LSE, Warwick, Oxbridge, Bristol the courses tend to be very maths-averse and less rigorous than competitors (compared courses).. Hence why they are BA and not BSc.

If you want IB, and you want to do Economics/Finance/Engineering, just please make sure its a BSc and not a BA.. the maths element of any analytical degree like that is vital for IB.

Just my 2p.
    How would you rate the Exeter BA Economics and Manchester BA Economics course? Are they well respected for Investment Banking? I was going to apply to that but then realised it was BA?

Nice offers, may I ask why you didn't go to LSE over UCL? Just a question, of course you don't have to answer it.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester over Exeter. No specific reasons why tbh. I didnt get offered LSE.. they decided my GCSEs werent quite up to scratch despite being top 40 in the country for Econ A Level Besides, in hindsight, as ive previously said in another thread, i wouldnt want to go to LSE considering the 3 years ive had at UCL. But then thats just me.

For Econ, if you can get in, the ones you want to look at are Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick.. They are the most represented unis in the city (+Imperial) and at any given AC, will probably make up 80% of the applicants with the remaining 20% generally from Bristol, Bath, Durham etc. (talking exclusively UK unis here)

Oh and met a guy travelling this summer who was at Exeter doing Econ, got a first and was working at E+Y.. he didnt know what IB stood for...?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Manchester over Exeter. No specific reasons why tbh. I didnt get offered LSE.. they decided my GCSEs werent quite up to scratch despite being top 40 in the country for Econ A Level Besides, in hindsight, as ive previously said in another thread, i wouldnt want to go to LSE considering the 3 years ive had at UCL. But then thats just me.

For Econ, if you can get in, the ones you want to look at are Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, Warwick.. They are the most represented unis in the city (+Imperial) and at any given AC, will probably make up 80% of the applicants with the remaining 20% generally from Bristol, Bath, Durham etc. (talking exclusively UK unis here)

Oh and met a guy travelling this summer who was at Exeter doing Econ, got a first and was working at E+Y.. he didnt know what IB stood for...?!
    Lol yes after those Unis you've mentioned up to Durham the Big 4 take over! Hopefully I won't fall into that trap, will never be an accountant, would rather go work for the BoE or something!

Yes, I plan on reapplying as the way I see it, after the Unis you have mentioned up to Durham, Bath etc the ones after are the big City Uni's etc, Birmingham, Manchester, Southampton, Loughborough, Leeds and out of them I think Loughborough gives me the best chance for IB. Nevertheless I will be reapplying to Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and possibly Bristol.

Yes I've heard too that LSE is basically an American postgrad college in London, much better for Postgrad than Undergrad as even when I went there on a taster course, there was no typical Uni vibe, a bit like SOAS. UCL on the other hand looked great, I was going to apply to do History there but Economics is my true passion now, lets pray I do well enough in exams to able to reapply!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.