The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didn't, although for A level i just right a disturbing amount of notes, then hack them down into more condensed forms.
Reply 2
I stuck big fat shiny posters all over my room. That way I revised without being aware of it. What else did I do... Ooh lots of talking to myself. I also looked at material online and met up with friends doing my subject in the park and stuff when it got warmer so we could talk over issues we were having. We also found great ways of remembering things when we were together and they gave me other ways of enhancing revision.
I don't know if they're still about these days but BBC Bitesize had some good podcasts for key info - good for building notes around, don't rely on the podcasts for everything. Look online for good websites and interactive bits :biggrin:
Can't think of much else. Good Luck with the revision. :smile:

EDIT: I admit I didnt do it this early in the year, I'm more of a last minute crammer. Frustrating for my parents I think :P
revision cards are useful, lots and lots of past papers, I think power points are a slow way to revise in my opinion, a giant mind map on my wall was helpful, I would wake up to it everyday and add new things :smile:. Yet for A level, all i do is notes, and notes a past paper, and notes. :frown:
Reply 4
@wilson_smith: same thing here didnt bother revising for gcse but stepped it up for AS and A2
read bitesize 1-2 days before the exam
Condensed notes for each subject again and again until only the key points were on it, then made posters about them, then challenged myself to talk for 5 minutes about each poster (meaning I had to give a lot more information than was on them.)

I started this five months before my first exam, and it worked like a dream.
Gemma :)!
Condensed notes for each subject again and again until only the key points were on it, then made posters about them, then challenged myself to talk for 5 minutes about each poster (meaning I had to give a lot more information than was on them.)

I started this five months before my first exam, and it worked like a dream.

Ooh... Can you elaborated please?
What do you mean by 'condensing' them? Is that basically, writing notes down, then rewriting your notes in a shorter format, ect. Until it is basically key words?
Reply 8
Those are all crap. People also get obsessed making them and getting the 'ideas' and they just waste time lol.
Just pick up a revision book and start, simples.

revision book, highlighters = A*, tick off what you've done at the begining

past papers are also a must and if there are definitions or formulas or case studies do some notes and put them on your wall. That's it really.

The best thing is to start this 2 weeks before the exam, and do however much to cover everything + past papers.
Though in June this probably won't happen...
Reply 9
In my case I just did summaries of all subjects 1 or 2 months before the exam, and then read them over and over again. Then when you think you know everything you've read, read from other sources (ie internet notes)and re-read your classroom notes. Oh, and do many past papers, and ask when you have any doubts.

Good luck!
Past papers and last-minute cramming was a successful formula for me.
Awesomesauce
Ooh... Can you elaborated please?
What do you mean by 'condensing' them? Is that basically, writing notes down, then rewriting your notes in a shorter format, ect. Until it is basically key words?

Yep exactly like that :smile:
..and every so often look at the notes you have left and make sure you can remember them in the amount of detail they started off as.
Reply 12
Didn't. Probably should have though as my 60% A* put a little pressure on me for Oxbridge application.
Just do some papers. You get pretty standard questions at GCSE, especially maths/sciences
Reply 13
I got the syllabi/specifications off the exam boards' websites and made sure I had learnt everything needed.

:gthumb:
Reply 14
read read read, and write notes. don't fret too much.. and enjoy yourself, it gets much harder at A level!
Reply 15
Hmm I got all my books for each subject and turned them into lists.
I imagined I was explaining the topic to someone else.
And if the teachers had given me notes, I memorised them.

(well, that and CGP :love:)
Reply 16
Practise makes perfect
Didn't, lol. I regret it now but hell, can't change what's already done :P
GCSE I just read notes... not interesting but meh, it worked for me.

This year I've discovered that isn't going to work though, so I'm typing up notes (better than copying down again! You can highlight stuff easier I definately recommend it more but turn off the internet beforehand :p: ) and putting any key stuff I can't remember around the house on sticky notes :biggrin:
Leto
Hmm I got all my books for each subject and turned them into lists.
I imagined I was explaining the topic to someone else.
And if the teachers had given me notes, I memorised them.

(well, that and CGP :love:)

12A*. Whats your secret?!?! :eek3: :eek3:

Revision? Because that isn't convincing enough..

Latest