Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agatka148)
    swear words! i mean why do we find some soundwaves offensive and other nice?
    It's not the soundwaves themselves though, it's the stigma placed on the soundwave by our linguistic community, i.e. 'merde' isn't offensive to say in England, but it is in France, but we're hearing the same soundwave.

Perhaps what's stranger is the fact that swear words even exist at all...why and how was that specific soundwave and word/phrase chosen to bear the connotation of something taboo?

Another thing that I find odd...transport. People not moving their bodies but travelling large distances just by moving along the ground in little boxes, with a load of others in the same box, just coasting along nonchalantly. Imagine the reaction of our ancestors! Even more peculiar - air travel, looking out the window of an aeroplane is so surreal, i'm convinced it's painted on or something. How can humans be so high up in the air?! Mind boggling. This makes me wonder what life will be like in 1000 years, things will be invented that we could barely dream of now.

ReputationRep:
    Existence.

ReputationRep:
    EVERYTHING WE DO

I mean look at us what a weird design :P our noses pahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    I won't be able to eat eggs ever again now!! :nah:
    It'd be hard as eggs are everywhere :p:
    For example you like cakes, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millyshyn)
    I'd say that that's more of a thing that's normal that we/you find weird. After all, that's what vaginas are for.. :rolleyes:
    And the award for "No Sense of Humour" goes to...

Its still weird to think I was in someone's tummy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    EVERYTHING WE DO

I mean look at us what a weird design :P our noses pahaha

HHHHHA! Our ears are jokes too!

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we need a little book to leave the country! We didn't need them before.

Although, I'm sure the fact you can leave a country at all is weird to North Koreans!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Yeah, maybe I'm biased because I'm shopaholic :lol:

But it's nothing new. Clothes always have been very important tbh, for example they determined social status, marital status, a person's religion. It's not natural to be naked.
    Maybe it is though? I mean we're born naked and we would have hair all over if we didn't evolve in the way we have done due to our life style :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Clothing, and religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Pretty sure they enjoy it though. Apart from Panda's - which then caused obvious repercussions.

What's your problem anyway dude. Chill
    No problem at all.

Although i am curious as to how you know that they enjoy it...

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's natural to be naked!!

Also can't remember who said it but police are DEFINITELY not natural!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    No problem at all.

Although i am curious as to how you know that they enjoy it...

How do you know they don't??

Look at their faces! Check out a Lion having sex - THEY LOVE IT!

ReputationRep:
    Incorrect spellings.

*waits for penny to drop*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Incorrect spellings.

*waits for penny to drop*

*penny increasing in height....... definitely not dropping*

ReputationRep:
    Of course it's natural to be naked!!

Also can't remember who said it but police are DEFINITELY not natural!!
    Of course it is. Authority and punishment are natural and police are an essential part of those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Of course it is. Authority and punishment are natural and police is an essential part of those things.

So much wrong with that statement! Authority & punishment are natural yes - when given by parents! To have a gang that goes around stopping people from doing often natural things is very unnatural

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we have sayings to help us learn to spell, such as "i before e, except after c", which aren't true for every word.

*P.S. penny has dropped*

ReputationRep:
    Accents - where's the defining border between two towns that means when you cross it the accent changes.

Languages - who decided different countries should speak a different language.

Space - it's just a bit weird that all the planets are just 'floating' in big black space and where does it end.

ReputationRep:
    Domestic pets? Hey I have a dog but stroking an animal and playing with one is still weird if you think about it and no I don't mean in a sexual fashion. (I know how quickly you went to that, sick *******s.)

Anyway plenty of people would admit they would put a persons life at risk to rescue their pet. Regarding your pets life higher than another person is quite strange, no?

Now a stranger or my dogs life, ideally I'd want to get to know the stranger before deciding. Well like to think I'd save the stranger every time, plenty of people wouldn't though. Hypothetical scenarios never mean anything, people can say the more acceptable approach and avoid the audiences disprovable.

Queuing or rather how people have got so used to doing it. People will quite happily line up for something without even knowing what its for, nah we won't bother to check, were sure meant to be here wasting our time. They will just hope that it doesn't take too long. At best people might ask the pleb in front of them, who will go "oh Chinese whispers! Yay!"

ReputationRep:
    So much wrong with that statement! Authority & punishment are natural yes - when given by parents! To have a gang that goes around stopping people from doing often natural things is very unnatural
    Parents? :toofunny:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.